Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #31
z80
Banned

Default Re: Do looks really get you a better job? Perhaps

Is appearance important?

First impressions are definitely critical in a professional work environment....

I used to admire the determination of the young people who would appear on my doorstep, nice suit, hair with plenty of gel, the tattoos above the short sleeve shirt line and only just barely noticeable.....

They were desperate for a break into the IT industry...doing...well.. anything.

But, call me old school, but I cannot let anyone anyone who has their nose,their eyebrows or their lips...pierced anywhere near my customers.

I can't help thinking about the boogers getting caught up on the diamond stud clip inside their nose.

Anyone who has to display that they are prepared to mutilate their body to get some semblance of individuality is never going to succeed in certain occupations.

Often when asked ...would they would take offence at being told that if they were to work in our workplace they would need to conform to certain standards, including the covering of body art and no body piercings in the facial areas?

I can remember the shock on their faces when asked, their rights violated...

Only a small number ever agreed to adjust their appearance, but I sensed that they would probably create long term problems and assert their "rights".

so...*ding*...No sale....
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #32
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just can't understand the 'nose-ring' thing - it just screams 'clip on a lead and enslave me' but then I'm not a masochist.

From a book written by a very successful businessman -

'I remember interviewing a guy applying for a driver position back in the minibus days (it was tour-bus company). He had been a steward on a cargo ship and my first impression of him was very unfavourable. He wasn't particularly well-dressed, didn't express himself very well and had a few obvious tattoos, which I felt uncomfortable about. However he was very keen to get the job and told me over and over again that he would be a great asset to the company.

'Will you give me another opportunity ?' he said.

'No, I won't' I replied.

'Why' he asked.

'Because you have a beard' I said, admittingly looking for an excuse. I didn't like beards then, in fact I still don't !

'Do I have to take it off to be considered ?' he asked.

'It's up to you' I said.

He returned the next day with his beard shaved off, asking if I would now change my mind. Again, he insisted how confident and how keen he was etc.

'Sorry' I said, 'I'm not relenting'.

'Why' he asked, in utter dismay.

'Because you left your moustache on !'. I detested moustaches and still do !

He politely left and returned two hours later with his moustache gone. Only now, to my embarrassment his harelip was now clearly exposed. His facial hair had covered it before and was obviously the reason why he hadn't been clean-shaven in the first place. I gave him the job on the spot ! Why ? Because he had revealed a great attitude. He was so determined to get the job he was prepared to persist to achieve his objective. I knew he was the type of person I needed in the company.

He turned out to be one of our best field staff members ... ' etc etc.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 04:20 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Heh, I got my first real job based solely on because I "dressed better than the rest of the people who came for the interview".

I always got yelled at because I never tucked my shirt in after I got hired , had my *** crack showing when i bent over, barely ever shaved my raggedy teenager facial hair and did nothing with my hair.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 PM   #34
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcoupe
And the sad reality is that generally you either have one or the other, ie. those with great looks can often be, (to be kind), a little vacant.

Though some rotters have it all. Apparently Sophie Monk is pretty smart, and has been very nice looking until the ex (plastic surgeon) got to her.
Cameron Diaz is reputed to be a clever-dick, err ... smarty-pants too.
lol are you serious regarding Chipmunk & the Bimbo?

I have watched many interviews on many shows with them both & I have to say they would fit the bill for the Blonde Bimbo types 100%

It oozes from them
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #35
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
Similarly, when recruiting for government roles, it was very easy to pick the employees out - they didn't want overachievers, and when we sent them to them...they came back with negative feedback. The skills weren't so much important to them, the ability to take their time, and not think for themselves was (so as not to make others look bad).
So maybe the fact that I was a quick thinker, a perfectionist, an over achiever, well dressed & groomed, well spoken & critical of others who were lazy or slobs while always telling those above me better ways to do things (which were actually better ways) worked against me lol

I always wondered why at times I would get passed by & others who were not as skilled or experienced or as well presented as myself would get the Job or promotion lol

Now I work for myself & have done for the past 7 years so all is good in the office lmao
Old 08-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #36
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Reminds me of this song...

And the sign says "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I put my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said you look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that, huh, me working for you"
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #37
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Is appearance important?

First impressions are definitely critical in a professional work environment....
Actually I think in the thread title Sezzy meant something along the lines of would Ugly Betty get a job on Bay Watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
So maybe the fact that I was a quick thinker, a perfectionist, an over achiever, well dressed & groomed, well spoken & critical of others who were lazy or slobs while always telling those above me better ways to do things (which were actually better ways) worked against me lol
You forgot to mention that you were also Modest and Humble
Old 08-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #38
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Reminds me of this song...

And the sign says "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
I remember when that first came out..... Who sang it. 5 something ?.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #39
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Yeah, i think 4 or 5 years ago it was a different story, employers were beggars rather than choosers.
In these days of higher unemployment, it's the other way around. Now the employees need to smarten up because there's a far higher competition.
In these days of higher unemployment

"pardon ?""
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #40
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
Because then it would not be a recent photo!
Yes... true. But the person going over the applications will not know anything about the person other than the photo.

When I used to screen applicants for work in Korea the older people (40+) almost always did it.

Once you have the call for the interview, thats half the job done.

I agree that it depends on some jobs as to if the physical attributes needed for the role. Such is life.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #41
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the real issue is how people present themselves rather than their actual physical attributes.

You can't rock up to work/interviews with a shirt and slacks that looks like you've slept in them and generally not well groomed. It's unprofessional

Of course employers are not going to take you seriously as you come off lazy. It doesn't neccesarily mean you are but you can see how the impression is drawn.

I recently attended an interview where another bloke waiting in the foyer had long dirty hair, untucked creased shirt, his pants might as well have been hanging around his ankles, unshaven, and was wearing sneakers. This was for a job in the public service of all places!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 06:55 PM   #42
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I remember when that first came out..... Who sang it. 5 something ?.
Was originally released by Five Man Electrical Band in 1971, then covered by Tesla later on.

That verse in the song is so true unfortunately, and the old saying 'you cant judge a book by its cover' has been made redundant by a society obsessed with vanity.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #43
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

I have managed the same business for about 8 years, it employs 40 or so staff.

In the early days we would hire good looking girls , , BUT after a while the "party" girls all got continually hit on by male staff.

They went out on weekends and called in sick thinking that no-one reads their facebook and that all the other girls dont tell everyone in the business.

Then, because they are good looking they think that they deserve better and think they are better than they actually are....

Nowdays we hire on experience, attitude and general presentation.

( oh, and so I dont get shot down , we do have some very attractive girls at work who are also smart and have a brain !)

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #44
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks do play a big part in who gets the job, but ony when there is no one suited for the role and it must be filled, then it goes to who ever has the best rack.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #45
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You forgot to mention that you were also Modest and Humble
Who told you that not me as I am not I just call it as it is or rather as I am or used to be, now I have confused myself
Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #46
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6

I always wondered why at times I would get passed by & others who were not as skilled or experienced or as well presented as myself would get the Job or promotion lol

Now I work for myself & have done for the past 7 years so all is good in the office lmao
I'd say telling someone above you the better way to do things might have been the mitigating factor in things working against you...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #47
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

My work hired me because I got lucky. Walked in off the street the same day as I lost one job, so I was all suited up. Had a brief chat with the boss, got called up later and I had the job.
It's a monkeys job, anyone can do it, so I don't think me being hired had anything to do with my looks/suit. I was polite, made eye contact and gave a firm handshake.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 11:09 PM   #48
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They tried this on a company once.
They had a very attractive lady with a great body dress up in a padded fat-suit, made up to look just awful etc. and when she enquired about a position, the men there did the minimum to help her. They basically just gave her the forms and did little else...

That same person walked in later as herself to enquire about the same position, and the people there were crawling all over her, doing everything they could to help her...

I found a job because I didn't talk the cliched crap. I was also working for a lower rate than others too :P

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #49
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
all the ugly people can get cruzie jobs in the public
service, and then sit back and get all the cruzie benifits.
Dont mind if i do
Old 09-05-2011, 06:16 AM   #50
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
I'd say telling someone above you the better way to do things might have been the mitigating factor in things working against you...
lol I guess so however I was only ever trying to help & back then too naive to work out that maybe it could work against me as I was silly enough to think if I could come up with more efficient ways to do things that was part of being a good & dedicated employee lol

When I was a manager I always listened to those below me as sometimes they would have really good ideas (not always).
Old 09-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #51
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I once interviewed a woman for a job as part of a three person panel; we had her application CV etc.. and considered pre-interview she was a type we were looking for. She was about 40, had vast experience in a related industry, had been a line manager.

She was sent into the office dressed in Ugg boots, a pair of trackie dacks and a bra with a blue wife beater over the top. She sat in the interview answered questions in a monotone.
It was clearly obvious she did not want the job, perhaps any job and was perhaps satisfying the requirements of another authority.

Looks & appearance play a considerable role in employment.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #52
Scott

It's just the way it goes... call it natural selection.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #53
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Looks are certainly why I am employed. =P

I'm glad some places do it...I thoroughly enjoy going to buy clothes and having a sexy lady help me and make suggestions. I sure as hell wouldnt like an ugly mug telling me the gray goes with the red.

Maybe I'm just low? hahaha.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #54
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
I once interviewed a woman for a job as part of a three person panel; we had her application CV etc.. and considered pre-interview she was a type we were looking for. She was about 40, had vast experience in a related industry, had been a line manager.

She was sent into the office dressed in Ugg boots, a pair of trackie dacks and a bra with a blue wife beater over the top. She sat in the interview answered questions in a monotone.
It was clearly obvious she did not want the job, perhaps any job and was perhaps satisfying the requirements of another authority.

Looks & appearance play a considerable role in employment.
What? Are you insinuating that she was merely doing the required interview to continue her dole payments?

That kind of thing never happens, does it?
Old 09-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #55
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my missus works in a cake shop... she was hired to make the gorilla biscuits.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 06:13 PM   #56
FgNewbie
Australia

I wanted a job in a brothel
They said I looked too f'ed
I argued it was a sign of my willingness to work.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #57
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
I wanted a job in a brothel
They said I looked too f'ed
I argued it was a sign of my willingness to work.
Haha...

I had a nasty little incident with a recruitment consultant today...I know their tricks, well she's tried to pull one.

I've got ten years in admin, logistics, transport, legal, the works - I applied for the job on Friday night, before 9am this morning I had a response back via email, advising that due to the employers 'very specific' requirements, I had not been successful (no phone call to even 'check' the voice at the other end).

Well, bollocks. I went to the advertisement again, trying to find the 'very specific' requirements...couldn't find any. So I asked her what these very specific requirements were, as she had not stipulated. There was no ability to 'sell myself' in a covering letter as the job application was directly through the recruitment page, as opposed to seek allowing you to write a cover letter.

It seems responding to my question is too hard, and as yet am still awaiting the reply...I doubt I'll get it...and now that I've called her on it...unlikely that I'll ever get a job through that agency...

Seems to me, that despite the fact I want to work - recruitment companies are the gate keepers, and they choose who gets a job and who doesn't...and at any stretch, honesty and integrity don't come into play in these industries, that's for sure.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 09-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #58
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
What? Are you insinuating that she was merely doing the required interview to continue her dole payments?

That kind of thing never happens, does it?
I could have been insinuating ...........

Actually having you respond to my post reminded me she looked and dressed pretty well like a girl I met in the NT years ago. She was driving an Atkinson, 3 up, with a load of general delivering same to my place of business in those days. She was about 25, strong as an Ox and one of the few people I've ever met who could reverse a triple a distance of a couple of hundred yards without making a mess of it. Impressed me she did!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #59
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
I could have been insinuating ...........

Actually having you respond to my post reminded me she looked and dressed pretty well like a girl I met in the NT years ago. She was driving an Atkinson, 3 up, with a load of general delivering same to my place of business in those days. She was about 25, strong as an Ox and one of the few people I've ever met who could reverse a triple a distance of a couple of hundred yards without making a mess of it. Impressed me she did!
Sounds like a Lady I met once -a very long time ago- driving Stock crates. She thought her son, who also drove cattle trucks, was a really sweet boy.

He bought her a new cattle prod for mothers day.

Sorry Sez, we'll return control of your thread to you now
Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #60
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sounds like a Lady I met once -a very long time ago- driving Stock crates. She thought her son, who also drove cattle trucks, was a really sweet boy.

He bought her a new cattle prod for mothers day.

Sorry Sez, we'll return control of your thread to you now
All good guys...it's not off topic...in fact...probably well on topic.

Sez

Photo's by Sez