Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 25-03-2012, 01:42 AM   #31
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Default Re: QLD Election

Well, I for one am happy for any change, seriously I doubt they (LNP) could do any worse. I didnt vote for captain blight last election either.

As for returning to the bad old days (re nationals), it always amazes me how short peoples memories are and how most forget that old Joh also did a decent lot of good for the state in his hey day.. He certainly didnt sell off half the state or tax us up the yin yang to pay for stuff, he didnt let the power companies royally bend us over like capt blight has.. She is also the one who took away our tax/excise breaks off fuel too..

Sure it wasnt all peaches and cream back in the Joh days, there was plenty of bad stuff goin down too and there will always be corruption and deals and kickbacks etc. The rest still well n truly have their fingers in a lotta pies, they are just much smarter about it and more discreet..

Old 25-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Now that you have liberal in power in Mexico, NSW, QLD and WA, does that affect whats going on in Canberra? Or is that a whole different game?
Old 25-03-2012, 03:29 AM   #33
Till_Lind
E-series fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Now that you have liberal in power in Mexico, NSW, QLD and WA, does that affect whats going on in Canberra? Or is that a whole different game?
Labor had most of Australia state-wise during the Coalition's hold on Australia Federally under Howard and he was able to have a huge influence on the nation. It just meant at times when he needed the support of state governments, it wasn't always there, even if it was for the good of the nation.

What a change it is now since the Coalition loss not long ago.
Old 25-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #34
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

One of the strangest Elections ever. On one side we have the ALP who have been hopeless, just hopeless. On the other side we have a mob for the last 15 years who have gone thru leaders like they were going out of fashion and couldn't even run a chook raffle. Then in pure desperation they recruited from the outside. So we now have "The Messiah" in the top job with his useless sheep following. Only in Qld folks.....Only in Qld.............
Old 25-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #35
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More tunnels????
Old 25-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #36
Murph-51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well that wasn't exactly about getting rid of Anna was it? It was more like QLD telling Juliar we've had enough of your lies and poor narration! Now **** off!!!
i think Anna's legacy will be how she stood strong for us during the floods, what she will be hated for will be selling off our assets
Old 25-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #37
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
One of the strangest Elections ever. On one side we have the ALP who have been hopeless, just hopeless. On the other side we have a mob for the last 15 years who have gone thru leaders like they were going out of fashion and couldn't even run a chook raffle. Then in pure desperation they recruited from the outside. So we now have "The Messiah" in the top job with his useless sheep following. Only in Qld folks.....Only in Qld.............

I don't think it's all doom and gloom Bugs.

This wasn't a vote for Campbell and the LNP, or a vote against Anna and the State ALP, as much as it was a vote against the Federal ALP's policy, like the Carbon Tax and the Mining Taxes.

Reality is, the result here will shake the ALP to it's very core. In Barcaldine, heartland where the ALP was born, there was a 17% swing against them.

The further towards the 'Blue Collar Worker' (the ALP's bread and butter) the polls went, the bigger the swing.

Me personaly, I am a Lib supporter generally. I voted for the incumbent independant. For the LNP to have this sort of mandate is not healthy.

Likely outcome in Queensland will look like; of the 89 seats

LNP 74 seats
ALP 7 seats
Independants 2 seats
KAP 2
Undecided 4 seats.

1 undecided may go to the ALP, but a swing of 42 lost seats mininum will be the outcome.
Old 25-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #38
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Was funny watching the idiots on channel 9 last night tweeting their opinions.

Best ones were the people tweeting their cars have more seats than Labor.
Old 25-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #39
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
does that affect whats going on Canberra?
I'm sure Katy Gallagher is concerned over the result.
Old 25-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #40
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph-51
well that wasn't exactly about getting rid of Anna was it? It was more like QLD telling Juliar we've had enough of your lies and poor narration! Now **** off!!!
i think Anna's legacy will be how she stood strong for us during the floods, what she will be hated for will be selling off our assets
I hardly heard of federal issues during the election apart from the federal leadership noise at the beginning of the election.

I'd like to think we're smart enough to vote for state issues during a state election and federal issues during a federal election.
Old 25-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #41
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph-51

The thing is, she was dead in the water before the floods (pardon the pun), but through the floods she came back stronger than ever.

Little says it's all about Queensland, as did Anna. The difference, I feel when Anna said it, I felt she really meant. Through the Floods and Cyclone Yazi, Anna Bligh epitomized all tay would be considered the greatest political leader we could have hoped for.

Selling off Queensland was a tough political choice, but ALP Feds killed her here.
Old 25-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #42
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Was funny watching the idiots on channel 9 last night tweeting their opinions.

Best ones were the people tweeting their cars have more seats than Labor.
The biggest concern is of course absolute power corrupts absolutly , meaning I hope the Lnp remembers why they are there and don't ride rough shod over all we need to feather and fullfil ther own aenda , Cam should be smart enough to understand this but Joh made the mistake of believing his own hype after a long time and went off the rails ultimately failing
Old 25-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #43
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I hardly heard of federal issues during the election apart from the federal leadership noise at the beginning of the election.

I'd like to think we're smart enough to vote for state issues during a state election and federal issues during a federal election.

I believe there is a fear of going back like we were a few years ago, with a Labour State under a LNP Fed. There is more chance of Alan Moffat becoming PM than Gillard returning.
Old 25-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #44
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think federal politics wouldve had much of an impact at all in this vote.

It was more of a case of the people were sick to death of how the state was run (or not run).

Crime (and the lack of support for the victim) was a major issue, selling off assets, CSG mining, our pityfull roads, lack of accountability (qld health as one prime example), removal of the fuel subsidy..... people have had enough.

If you look at just how much of the vote Katters Party got youll also see that a lot of people have no trust in the two major parties (LNP and Labour).

Labour "used" to be the workers party... it isnt anymore.

The National Party "used" to be the farmers party... its gone the way of the dodo....

The Liberal Party "used" to be for well um.. the rest ... but had to merge with the Nationals , so it too has lost its way.

All three (well ok, two) parties are now so similar there is no clear definition anymore.... Its like Simpsons episode at the DUFF brewrey where the three different versions of Duff beer come from the same vat!

"Grass roots" politics and policies have been lacking from these guys for almost (if not more) a decade now.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 25-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #45
Rambunctious

According to the ousted Labour Treasurer Andrew Fraser, our debt is $85 Billion, I believe it is 2 to 3 times that, I hope I am wrong.
Old 25-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #46
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
The biggest concern is of course absolute power corrupts absolutly , meaning I hope the Lnp remembers why they are there and don't ride rough shod over all we need to feather and fullfil ther own aenda , Cam should be smart enough to understand this but Joh made the mistake of believing his own hype after a long time and went off the rails ultimately failing
Joh never failed at all mate he won all of his battles it was his party that failed and that is a fact.
Joh was a very smart man but newman the ALP will come back stronger than ever next time. as it never had anything to do with the LNP by winning as it was more to do with a very sick foolish ALP.
Old 25-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #47
Till_Lind
E-series fan

Shame Rockhampton didn't get the memo about Qld Labor, was to be expected from up there I suppose.
Old 25-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #48
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Anna Blighs tour bus is for sale this morning, 20 years old and no seats... going cheap apparently.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Old 25-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #49
GhiaEB
2004 TX Territory

Anna Bligh just announced her resignation from politics, forcing a By-election. That is down right rude. Such a waste of time and money. I feel for the people who now have to vote again.

Now a AWD TX Territory Daily
P6 Silver Monarch Weekender

And on 2 Wheels,
ZZR 250

Can do mixer shaft replacement on BA-BF Falcon and SX-SY, fix your heater Today. PM For more details

For sale: Heaps of Territory bits and bobs including front brembo doglegs, NOS I-design territory body kit painted offshore, also FPV 290 engine bits. FS thread here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11397826 Pm for more details.
Old 25-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, BAN STICK has gone from action to instant.

Gratuitous swearing or subjective/opinionated derogatory posts about any party, party member or voters WILL get you a holiday.

Last edited by flappist; 25-03-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 25-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #51
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The election result is mind blowing. I don’t think the southern media, nor the ABC, have got their heads around how staggering this result is. Rock solid Labor seats of Nudgee and Sandgate have fallen with swings around 15%.

Just to paint the picture for non-Queenslanders about a former Lord Mayor getting up … unlike most other cities in the world, the Brisbane City Council covers most of the greater Brisbane geographic area. It has a population of 1M (inside the city limits) and a budget of $3B. Compare this to Tasmania, which has a population of 0.5M and a budget of $4.7B. It is almost a City-State in its own right.
Old 25-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #52
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the ticker feed shown on Channel 9's coverage last night, someone made a joke about Labor. I think it went...
Q: What's the difference between a Kia Carnival and QLD Labor?
A: The Kia has more seats.

I was really surprised about the result. I knew LNP would win, especially one week out when the media and Peter Beatie himself said Anna would lose, but didn't imagine it would be an annihilation of Labor.
Old 25-03-2012, 03:22 PM   #53
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB
Anna Bligh just announced her resignation from politics, forcing a By-election. That is down right rude. Such a waste of time and money. I feel for the people who now have to vote again.
With the current mood of the electorate that seat could be lost if a by-election was held.
Old 25-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #54
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
I dont think federal politics wouldve had much of an impact at all in this vote.

It was more of a case of the people were sick to death of how the state was run (or not run).

Crime (and the lack of support for the victim) was a major issue, selling off assets, CSG mining, our pityfull roads, lack of accountability (qld health as one prime example), removal of the fuel subsidy..... people have had enough.

If you look at just how much of the vote Katters Party got youll also see that a lot of people have no trust in the two major parties (LNP and Labour).

Labour "used" to be the workers party... it isnt anymore.

The National Party "used" to be the farmers party... its gone the way of the dodo....

The Liberal Party "used" to be for well um.. the rest ... but had to merge with the Nationals , so it too has lost its way.

All three (well ok, two) parties are now so similar there is no clear definition anymore.... Its like Simpsons episode at the DUFF brewrey where the three different versions of Duff beer come from the same vat!

"Grass roots" politics and policies have been lacking from these guys for almost (if not more) a decade now.
This is exactly what i have heard from so many people leading up to this election
Old 25-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #55
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cartoons don't take long..

Last edited by csv8; 17-05-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 25-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #56
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone got the latest count results? Cant seem to find any that have been updated since last night.
Only 1.5% difference in Mackay with under 70% of the count done is all i can find.
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Old 25-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #57
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bye bye ms Qld pie . dunno how many people you took down on your sinking ship but thats`s cool , didn`t want to watch FTA telly anyhoos , ps: beware of the new one
Old 25-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #58
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaEB
No point Anna hanging round. It would of been better for all if she had lost her seat. Do you think John Howard would of stuck around as a backbencher had of he retained his seat when the Libs lost under him..............
Old 25-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #59
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im a swinger, and vote with whom I think is the better local member.
Some questions were asked and things were said last night, which makes me shake my head.
"Anna Bligh was awesome, and inspirational during the floods". Anna Bligh done her JOB that WE PAY her to do, during the floods. No-one congratulated me for doing my job today.
"Where was Campbell Newman during the floods?" The guy was shovelling crap into trucks with the Mud Armies during the flood. People like me were working int hose armies, while Anna Bligh looked on in disbelief, in her air-conditioned office.
Just needed to vent that, its been annoying me all day.
Old 25-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #60
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazza_Brendan
Has anyone got the latest count results? Cant seem to find any that have been updated since last night.
Only 1.5% difference in Mackay with under 70% of the count done is all i can find.
Electors at Close of Roll: 29,295
Last Updated Date/Time: 25/03/2012 03:22:34 PM
Percentage of Roll Counted: 75.44%

Results Summary Booths In: 24 of 29
Candidate
Party
Votes
%
Graph
%
TEMPLE, Lindsay KAP 4,056

KERSLAKE, John LNP 8,021