Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #421
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74_XB_Ute
mik...this is just a display of the various types of ordnance that can be carried by the Classic Hornet. By no means can it carry all the ordnance shown. The ordnance carried would depend on the mission/sortie the jet would be carrying out...ie... air to air ordnance, air to ground ordnance....

Still doesn't compare to the payload of an F-111 tho!!

Full load of Mk-82LD 500lb bombs...48 in total
ok thanks mate, great shot of the f 1 -11, i have good idea of the size of these buggers, many years ago , i got the job of transporting an over dimensional load of very expensive cargo , that was f 1-11 wings (one at a time) in a very sturdy wooden cases that took up a big area of a 40 ft trailer and hung over the sides , about the only time i`ve been near a jet in my life ...or part of .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 12:13 AM   #422
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Yes the two outer pylons are fixed but the wings can be swept to 26 degrees with fixed pylons fitted. Wing sweep lockout controls this for the pilot so he cant select wing sweep exceeding 26 degrees. Full forward wing sweep is 16 degrees.
It might look deceiving but they are black rubber chocks in front of the wheels.
Flight trials have shown that some stores produce more lift than drag which can assist in range....in saying that probably not for this weapons config. But range is no problem when in-flight refuelling is an option (just ask Libya) This type of weapons load is usually reserved for fancy photo shoots or when you want to show who has the bigger bollocks to our northern neighbours
Can't believe i missed the 'chocks' in that shot...they stand out now you mention them! Its wierd that they let them sweep them back to 26 deg...must be within tolerance for buffet i suppose. Unless they cant them a little inboard to compensate....

Pretty strange loadout based on its all being 'unguided' munitions...but i'd love to see the size of the bang you could get with a loadout like that he he. Inflight refueling is a very helpful feature i agree...shame the 707 tankers never had boom refueling setup (have to rely on the americans..). Will not be a problem with the new tankers coming but of course the f111 will be gone by the time they turn up i suppose....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #423
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With regards to the F-111 load.
While the outer two pylons dont pivot, the load shown was test flown in its development stage with one of the pre-production F-111s (it was painted light grey).
The "overload" situation is one which is tested on all aircraft in which all the safety limits are exceeded..

Bombers in WW2 often flew well over their designed lifting capacity in order to cause as much damage as possible on the target.

The pylons can be jettisoned, so after bomb delivery the outer two would be dumped and it can escape supersonically if need be...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #424
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

A Mark II Lanc:

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 09:13 AM   #425
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My new Desktop picture - love the Lancaster.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #426
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

I was reading in the TV Guide today that SBS is Playing a Documentry on the Lancaster on Friday night, 8:30 pm from memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #427
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 29-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #428
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I took these at the RAAF Museum at Point Cook in 2006.
I have many more shots, but my brother is in most of them and I don't want to subject you to his ugly face.

Vampire

Iroquois/Huey

A-20 Boston/Havoc

L-5 Bird Dog

Note the Catalina in the background. This was taken four years ago, and I haven't been back, so I don't know what the PBY is looking like these days.

And finally, my 1/18-scale Rangers fast-roping.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #429
smciner1

I was the Sepcial on the Lancaster on SBS last night, good show.

Quote:
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Old 03-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #430
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Would this, with up to date technology in construction & avionics:

have been for cost effective/efficient than one of these:

And, for those of you who don't care, take a look at these:

RTV Power
Old 05-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #431
motomk

Ah I wondered where everyone had gone!
Some amazing photos on here....Some look very familiar!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
My dad used to fix these a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
heyhey.... look after these folks a lot......absolute superstars.

Not sure if I posted this on the other thread or not...anyway here it is again, one of my favourite videos. Doubly good as it is a Freighter Jumbo.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DcoVBj7pyU

motomk

PS Swordsman, you are correct...the B763 is still going strong on the Perth-Tokyo route.
motomk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #432
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
I took these at the RAAF Museum at Point Cook in 2006.

Did you get any shots of the Phantom?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #433
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomk

Not sure if I posted this on the other thread or not...anyway here it is again, one of my favourite videos. Doubly good as it is a Freighter Jumbo.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DcoVBj7pyU

motomk

PS Swordsman, you are correct...the B763 is still going strong on the Perth-Tokyo route.
Great video moto.

I don't know how much longer the 763 will be on perth/tokyo there is talk of the a330 moving onto that but i think qantas fleet planning have mroe stuff to worry abotu at present now the a380 is spending a week or so on the ground...

Pretty long flight that (just a fractiohn shorter than sydney/honolulu) i've done it twice before. Big change in aircraft performance between a 55min flight time cityflyer and a 9hr international flight....damn we are heavy! But i suppose its all of the fun of the 763 that it can do both so effecrtively...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #434
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Did you get any shots of the Phantom?
Several, in fact, but my brother is in all of them. The F-4 is his favourite plane and he had to pose with it.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #435
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Awwww you should post them...

Oo\===/oO
Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 PM   #436
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

A few pics I took of a visiting Antonov.

74_XB_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #437
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I've just discovered thid thread, but there are some amazing pics on here that bring back some memories.
I've worked in Defence as a 'SURFIN' or spray painter for a number of years. I've been lucky enough to have worked on most types of aircraft we've had. When I first joined we started out repainting a Sabre (A94-22) and a Winjeel. I ended up in Richmond where I painted Herc's, Orion's, Caribou's, 707's and HS 748's. I was there that long that most of those aircraft came through again for their second re-paint. We also worked on the Dakota and another Sabre (A94-970) which we changed to 76 SQN markings. This aircraft at the time shared a hangar that was called 'fossil flight' where the Dakota, Sabre A94 983 and a MIG were also sitting. At the time, A94-970 was supposedly being prepared for airworthiness. We were told it was to mock fight with the MIG at air shows. I was also lucky enough to work on the flying Sabre (A94-83).
We did a short stint at Point Cook where we did a Meteor (A77-702) and IIRC, another Sabre.
I ended up at a variety of F/A 18 Hornet squadron's in the early noughties. Again, I was there that long that they were starting to come through on their second re-coat.
I was lucky (or unlucky enough) to have worked on the 'show pony' jets. Most of these jets have different paint schemes to the usual run of the mill schemes with anniversary or SQN CO aircraft markings or details (basically aircraft with different paint schemes and markings signifying an event or anniversary). I think the only one left that I did myself was A21-48 which had the 77 SQN markings re-done in a different format and enlarged on the verticals in colour. (anything that isn't grey or blue grey on those things is 'colour').
I no longer work in the industry and I don't miss the job (it's not as 'glamourous' as it sounds and as some of those early military pictures show, PPE wasn't a real high priority. It's been a sighnificant factor to my declining health), but it did feel good when somebody wandered up to you and started telling you how good the 'new' paint scheme looked.

Over the years I've been lucky enough to fly in Herc's, Caribou's, 707's, 748's and Orions on numerous occiaisons. The best flight I ever got was in a Hornet a few years back. It's something I'll never forget. Even got to 'fly' it too!!!
Mesa is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #438
74_XB_Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingy351
I no longer work in the industry and I don't miss the job (it's not as 'glamourous' as it sounds and as some of those early military pictures show, PPE wasn't a real high priority. It's been a sighnificant factor to my declining health), but it did feel good when somebody wandered up to you and started telling you how good the 'new' paint scheme looked.

Working in the stripping bay definately aint glamourous.....most SURFINS hate it But you also forgot to tell us how many mates cars and trailers you painted over the years...lol
Old 06-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #439
Ausfire
BA MkII XR6, 84XE Spak

Quote:
Working in the stripping bay definately aint glamourous.....most SURFINS hate it But you also forgot to tell us how many mates cars and trailers you painted over the years...lol
Seems to be a couple of EX Raafies here, some great shots too, I have used both Surfin guys and safety equippos a few times in my 20yrs service. Cartons the unit of currency Lol.

Good to see a few of us here.

I'm still in aviation trade, work at Sydney airport so get to see some awesome stuff, will try and upload some pics!

2005 XR6
1984 XE S Pak
Ausfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #440
Ausfire
BA MkII XR6, 84XE Spak

Couple of F4 Phantom Video's I took when at the Royal International Aviation Tattoo at RAF Fairford back in 2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI43KIO4Cy0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RQTPL2Dibg

Love the pollution these thing punched out, lol.

2005 XR6
1984 XE S Pak
Ausfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #441
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Trailers and cars??? None.... not me. Don't know what your talking about.

Must admit, everytime I see one of those beer currency ads on tv I think back to the 'old military'.

I can't think of anyone who enjoyed the stripping process. Weeks at a time covered head to toe in 'yellow peril' and MEK. Even after having a shower and going home my missus could tell what we were doing that day by the toxins leaching out of my skin, even on the paint cycle.

Hornet's were no better. 2-4 weeks of heavy sanding with the dust contamination getting injested into the lungs through the dodgy face masks and getting into the eyes too. You became so dependant on the chemicals that if you had a long weekend or were on holidays you got withdrawal. I don't know how many guy's used to head straight for the paint mix room to get a wiff off MEK to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms after a weekend. Either that or a wiff of the missus nail polish remover. I don't miss it at all.

Last edited by Mesa; 06-11-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Mesa is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #442
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

A couple of popular quotes:

In his book, Sled Driver, SR-71 Blackbird pilot Brian Shul writes: "I'll always remember a certain radio exchange that occurred one day as Walt (my backseater) and I were screaming across Southern California, 13 miles high. We were monitoring various radio transmissions from other aircraft as we entered Los Angeles airspace. Though they didn't really control us, they did monitor our movement across their scope. I heard a Cessna ask for a readout of its groundspeed."

"90 knots" Center replied.

"Moments later, a Twin Beech required the same."

"120 knots," Center answered.

"We weren't the only ones proud of our groundspeed that day as almost instantly an F-18 smugly transmitted, 'Ah, Center, Dusty 52 requests groundspeed readout.'

"There was a slight pause, then the response, 525 knots on the ground, Dusty".

"Another silent pause. As I was thinking to myself how ripe a situation this was, I heard a familiar click of a radio transmission coming from my backseater. It was at that precise moment I realized Walt and I had become a real crew, for we were both thinking in unison." "Center, Aspen 20, you got a groundspeed readout for us?"

There was a longer than normal pause…………..... "Aspen, I show 1,742 knots"

"No further inquiries were heard on that frequency"

And further:

……."the plane was dripping, much like the misshapen model had assembled in my youth. Fuel was seeping through the joints, raining down on the hangar floor. At Mach 3, the plane would expand several inches because of the severe temperature, which could heat the leading edge of the wing to 1,100 degrees. To prevent cracking, expansion joints had been built into the plane. Sealant resembling rubber glue covered the seams, but when the plane was subsonic, fuel would leak through the joints."……

For a machine whose natural habitat that was supersonic, what a machine indeed!

RTV Power
Old 06-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #443
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Legendary, can't help but grin from ear to ear no matter how many times I read that quote.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #444
smciner1

Awesome, especially considering nothing faster has been built, and they first flew in 1964.

Quote:
Old 08-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #445
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

RTV Power
Old 08-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #446
74_XB_Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
[IMG]
Nothing better than gun residue!! Time for an aircraft wash I think
Old 08-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #447
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Nothing better than gun residue!! Time for an aircraft wash I think
Nothing like the smell of oxidised nitrate in the morning.......

RTV Power
Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #448
aye you
The Origional, The Best

James May in a U2 Spy Plane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6cZLfK4Zjk
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #449
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Somewhat jealous of Capt. Slow now..........

RTV Power
Old 10-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #450
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Got my F-111C model from the States today. Extremely high quality unit this is.

This particular one is A8-127, which was delivered to RAAF 01/06/73. Flown to and displayed at RAF Fairford for Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) July 1993. Crashed, 13/09/93 near Guyra NSW on night practice. Crew of FLTLT Jeremy McNess & FLTLT Mark Cairns-Cowan of 1SQN Killed.

Pave tack pod

Pictured here with it's 6SQN mate F-4E A69-0305 which was delivered to 82 Wing 31/09/70. Served with 6 Sqn RAAF. RAAF 50th Anniversary Airshow. Returned to USAF 20/10/72 as 69-0305. Modified to F-4G. Served with 4th TFW, 52nd TFW, 414th TFW, 131st TFW, 35th TFW, 35th FW, 124th FG USAF. Flew last F-4G Sortie of Operation Provide Comfort. To AMARC as FP1044, 09/04/96. To Tracor, Mojave, CA. Converted to QF-4G (AF-170) 09/09/97. Still flying as QF-4G.

Heres some pics of the real things....

Pig -

Phantom -

In Wild Weasel configuration

Oo\===/oO