Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #421
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Malaysian Airways Flight 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l View Post
The Malaysian prime minister has confirmed it crashed in the Indian ocean. I can see a big investigation coming as to why it took almost 3 weeks to work that out
Especially considering Jindalee and Pine Gap probably watched MH370 track south over the Indian Ocean.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #422
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

The Malaysian government is totally inept at dealing with an issue like this at a global level.
You can't help but get the feeling they were more worried about covering up some of their own shortcomings in the first few days than actually wanting to cooperate with the other countries that wanted to help. I wish we knew all the facts instead of allowing other counties waste resources on wild goose chases.
I really feel for the families involved, this is very heartbreaking.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #423
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
The Malaysian government is totally inept at dealing with an issue like this at a global level.
You can't help but get the feeling they were more worried about covering up some of their own shortcomings in the first few days than actually wanting to cooperate with the other countries that wanted to help. I wish we knew all the facts instead of allowing other counties waste resources on wild goose chases.
I really feel for the families involved, this is very heartbreaking.
This tragedy poses an interesting situation. Do governments expose their hand early on in the search saying they had the capability of tracking MH370 with radar/spy satellites, or conversely, have to admit they had no capability tracking MH370. It would appear Malaysia falls in the latter category.

I think it's pertinent to wait until positive confirmation has been received MH370 crashed in the southern Indian Ocean.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #424
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

For once, I'm siding with the Chinese on this.

While I can understand the immense pressure on the Malaysian authorities to provide some clarity about what has happened, to take data that even Inmarsat have acknowledged is an "unprecedented technique" and use that to make the announcement they have is itself unprecedented.

“This really was a shot in the dark,” Chris McLaughlin, senior vice president of external affairs at Inmarsat told the BBC. “It’s a credit to the scientific team that they managed to model this.

Given the statement above and the fact that this is the same company which announced last week that the plane could have travelled down either a Northern or Souther corridor you'll excuse me if I don't have a lot of faith.

That the Malaysians don't seem to be getting a lot of help from those who probably should have the best tech in the region is something else that has me wondering. The US is usually front and centre in these things but apart from a couple of relatively token efforts they have been notably quiet on the whole subject.

The plane may well be at the bottom of the Indian Ocean somewhere but on the information currently available publicly it's a long bow to draw before I'd be prepared to make the announcement that has been made.

I'm sure it isn't over with yet.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #425
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
**** this is a very bad joke, I feel for the families involved and can understand their anger. Nothing even concrete yet and they are giving them the bad news WTF. And no less but a ******* text message, it's just not right.
While I understand where your coming from, what would you have them do?

The planes been missing for 3 weeks. Not a trace has been found on land. The remaining option is its in the water so dangerous even search vessels are leaving the area at the moment, and therefore may never be found. All are presumed dead, so the location really is irrelevant.

No one has claimed responsibility for a terrorist attack. No one is demanding a ransom.

Where to from there? Wait 6 weeks? 12 weeks?

Its pretty obvious something catastrophic happened, and unfortunately it looks like the plane will not be found anytime soon.
Old 25-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #426
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde View Post
This tragedy poses an interesting situation. Do governments expose their hand early on in the search saying they had the capability of tracking MH370 with radar/spy satellites, or conversely, have to admit they had no capability tracking MH370. It would appear Malaysia falls in the latter category.
You raise a good point and probably hit the nail on the head as to why this entire search has been a joke... Malaysia (and other countries) did not want to expose their spy/military capabilities by revealing what they picked up (or didn't pick up) on their radars.
Looks like Malaysia would be a pretty easy target now though for any country wanting to plan an attack, going by what has been revealed so far.

Sounds all a bit Cold War-ish to me. Surely for everyones sake the main focus should be on finding the plane and determining what happened in order to prevent this occurring again.
If it was an electrical fire that caused all the tracking devices to shut down, smoke/fumes knocked out all the passengers and crew and the plane continued on auto-pilot for another 7 hours until it ran out of fuel and ditched, this needs to be known as soon as possible to prevent another disaster and especially for the sake of other 777-200's of a similar age.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #427
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

i wouldnt believe a word they say
and havent from the start of this sad mess
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #428
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT View Post
While I understand where your coming from, what would you have them do?

The planes been missing for 3 weeks. Not a trace has been found on land. The remaining option is its in the water so dangerous even search vessels are leaving the area at the moment, and therefore may never be found. All are presumed dead, so the location really is irrelevant.

No one has claimed responsibility for a terrorist attack. No one is demanding a ransom.

Where to from there? Wait 6 weeks? 12 weeks?

Its pretty obvious something catastrophic happened, and unfortunately it looks like the plane will not be found anytime soon.
I think they should wait until it's confirmed that the plane is there, not just announce that because of new information that's where it is. Especially the way the whole thing has been handled from the start. It doesn't matter how long it has been, these people deserve the truth and not another could be.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #429
cram_it_frog
wombat

So now they have come up with a xfile answer some one did suggest we call in Agent Fox William Mulder

And what do we get a mumbo jumbo chat about signal s from aircraft going to a Inmarsat

Inmarsat's scientists then interrogated the faint pings using a technique based on the Doppler effect, which describes how a wave changes frequency relative to the movement of an observer, in this case the satellite, a spokesman said

is exactly what mulder would have said sound good and it sort of makes sense

cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #430
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
i wouldnt believe a word they say
and havent from the start of this sad mess
Who are "they"....??? The Malaysians? The Australians? The Chinese? The Americans? All of them?

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #431
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

For anyone interested in understanding more on how a Flight Data Recorder (FDR) or Cockpit Voice Recorder (CVR) works, here is a very basic description. You can then do some more of your own research for the finer details.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_data_recorder

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #432
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
Excuse my ignorance but I was under the impression that this day and age satellites could track anything in real time? As in watch any of that possible debris and track it so its easier to find. I also thought they could zoom in with more clarity than in the pictures? Too many movies I guess!
Yep I guess the old "enhance.... de-pixilate...... remove backscatter..... enhance....ENHANCE" just doest work in real life

But I agree I thought the satellite imagery would be a bit more conclusive than that, however keep in mind that is what they are showing the public, clearer photos may exist.

Hopefully Success will have something soon

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #433
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not convinced they have found anything of relevance this far. It's certainly the laziest investigation of seen in my time, no one is in any great hurry to find the plane. And the septics have barely made a comment on the situation.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #434
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These conspiracy theories as to what happened are utter garbage. Blaming the pilot, co-pilot, hi-jacking is pie in the sky lunacy; great for the media to report when they have little else to go by.

ltd's post earlier on sums up the most likely scenario as to what happened.
Old 25-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #435
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
For once, I'm siding with the Chinese on this.

While I can understand the immense pressure on the Malaysian authorities to provide some clarity about what has happened, to take data that even Inmarsat have acknowledged is an "unprecedented technique" and use that to make the announcement they have is itself unprecedented.

“This really was a shot in the dark,” Chris McLaughlin, senior vice president of external affairs at Inmarsat told the BBC. “It’s a credit to the scientific team that they managed to model this.

Given the statement above and the fact that this is the same company which announced last week that the plane could have travelled down either a Northern or Souther corridor you'll excuse me if I don't have a lot of faith.

That the Malaysians don't seem to be getting a lot of help from those who probably should have the best tech in the region is something else that has me wondering. The US is usually front and centre in these things but apart from a couple of relatively token efforts they have been notably quiet on the whole subject.

The plane may well be at the bottom of the Indian Ocean somewhere but on the information currently available publicly it's a long bow to draw before I'd be prepared to make the announcement that has been made.

I'm sure it isn't over with yet.

Cheers
Russ
I agree with Russ, we haven't heard the last about the plane. And if by some chance this disappears from the mainstream media's radar (no pun intended) quickly, you can bet your hat there is far more to the whole situation than meets the eye.

The only way to know why the US has been conspicuously silent about MH370 is to publish the passenger and cargo manifest, unredacted. Ordinarily, passenger manifests aren't published due to privacy and security reasons, but this isn't an ordinary event. If there is stalling and stammering about either, you could also bet your jacket thats the reason behind the silence.

In a nutshell, people wanted this plane to disappear. For what reason, no one (overtly) knows.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #436
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Furthermore, why has the cargo manifest not been provided to AMSA by the Malaysian's? Issues of national security could be easily managed. It beggars the question, why are the Malaysians not co-operating?
Old 25-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #437
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Dont worry about the pax, the cargo will offer a clue. Why would something so innocuous not be forthcoming? 'Mangosteen' my ***. ee aw.
Old 25-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #438
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCat View Post
i was wondering the same Loud Noises. I didn't think it had a huge amount of fuel left once it left that last reference point to the west of Malaysia, then all of a sudden it's supposedly found down south of Perth.

I'm not 100% sure of the announcement that the flight crashed in that location. In fact i don't believe it much at all.
I agree, initial reports claimed the plane had enough fuel to fly from KL to Korea or Pakistan, some 2900 miles.

The distance 'as the crow flies' from KL to Perth is 2500 miles.

This would give it 400 miles of fuel to leave KL, head towards Vietnam for an hour, turn and travel another few hours west before heading to a position 2500 miles south west of Perth. All that on top of fluctuating altitudes extremes which would also increase fuel consumption

It just doesn't calculate if the estimates are anywhere near correct.

Im sorry, but until they provide irrefutable evidence, I don't believe a word the Malaysians say.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #439
XWGT