Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 26-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #1
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
One further point - to fly the red duster (Red Ensign) don't you have to have a captain who has a Merchant Navy rank? Is that a thing of the past now, or did they hire a qualified skipper?

**The family should have just formed a sports team and bailed.
As Russell said strictly speaking the Red Duster goes with the Australian Registered Ship, although having said that, just poking my head out here in the marina i can see at least half a dozen tattered dusters fluttering around, go to the Chandlery here and you can buy a made in china one for $30-

Outside of officialdom flag etiquette has lost much of it's relevance these days...

Apologies, drifted of topic

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe

Last edited by DJR-351; 26-08-2020 at 04:05 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
As Russell said strictly speaking the Red Duster goes with the Australian Registered Ship, although having said that, just poking my head out here in the marina i can see at least half a dozen tattered dusters fluttering around, go to the Chandlery here and you can buy a made in china one for $30-

Outside of officialdom flag etiquette has lost much of it's relevance these days...

Apologies, drifted of topic
Thanks DJR351 - some of us still care about flags flying properly.
Old 29-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To ad to news snippets, from yesterday:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...by-13/12605186

Tatts club in Sydney CBD,
Greater Sydney/Cenny coast advised not to visit age care

If there's one thing we've learned in Vic, it's that this thing can get away from you really fast, so good luck NSW, QLD and Perth.

And thanks to Russell for those polynomial charts, I think I learned something!
Would it be accurate to say they are 1st derivative, 2nd derivative charts, or something else?
Old 26-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I have a route marked out, Franco, you want in. No geriatric prossy's.

This user likes this post:
Old 26-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Hmmmm, taking the boat for a few thousand kay cruise for nessisary repairs, jump in family¿ If it was that nessisary the boat would not have made it that far. My view is its the entitled persons thinking they are above everyone else.
I mean really, what kind of jurisdiction would allow a boat/yacht/ship to come to port from a known hotspot area. What are the chances.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #6
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I mean really, what kind of jurisdiction would allow a boat/yacht/ship to come to port from a known hotspot area. What are the chances.
Refueling maybe, but then it would be a big old **** off i guess. Unless its a stricken vessel. But still, its a bs excuse. Surely theres a shipyard in victoria that can work on something like that. And really, in the current times, what is the 'need' to take something like that out with the restrictions down there?
Old 26-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Refueling maybe, but then it would be a big old **** off i guess. Unless its a stricken vessel. But still, its a bs excuse. Surely theres a shipyard in victoria that can work on something like that. And really, in the current times, what is the 'need' to take something like that out with the restrictions down there?
Sorry was taking the pis$, was in reference to the Ruby Princess.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 26-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #8
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Venice in the Black Death?
Old 26-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #9
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Hmmmm, taking the boat for a few thousand kay cruise for nessisary repairs, jump in family¿ If it was that nessisary the boat would not have made it that far. My view is its the entitled persons thinking they are above everyone else.
Sorry, but the luxury yacht did indeed need repairs, and did have to travel a few thousand km's. The yacht had a paint scratch and the only shop that sells 'Dulux MV Lady Pamela White' is located on the GC.

Nothing at all to do with millionaires thinking they're above the law.
4 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #10
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Sorry, but the luxury yacht did indeed need repairs, and did have to travel a few thousand km's. The yacht had a paint scratch and the only shop that sells 'Dulux MV Lady Pamela White' is located on the GC.

Nothing at all to do with millionaires thinking they're above the law.
Thats fully understandable. Cant have a scratch dent an ego.
Old 26-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #11
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Under the Flags Act 1953 (where the Blue Ensign is nominated as the Australian National Flag), the AU Red Ensign is the official flag to be flown at sea by Australian registered merchant ships so I believe it is linked to the vessel and not the skipper.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #12
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's no way I am ever going into aged-care, or even "retirement living."
As my Dad said "last thing I want when I'm old, is to live with a bunch of old people."

If I can't afford anything better, I'll buy some cheap land in the bush and live in a shed.
And if one day I fall down and can't get up, then at least I'll go out looking at Blue Sky and stars.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2020, 09:06 PM   #13
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Conspiracy theory...

The man is a known anti-masker to the Police? The man never did put the bins out as he claims (where's the video evidence?). He is well aware of the camera location, as it's his own camera. The Police had driven past just before while he was standing outside and he was asked to go inside? He verbally abused the Police, and walked in view of the camera knowing full well what would happen next.

The Police turned around and came back. The Police officer never ever said "You're lucky my gun isn't in your face." That was just made up to sensationalise his bogus story. He get's his video footage he was after, then contacted his equally braindead compatriot Mr Yemini with a story for his bullsh*t YT channel.

The End.
5 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2020, 09:07 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Protests starting in Dandenong over restrictions:

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/s...41727280594946
Old 27-08-2020, 12:55 AM   #15
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Protests starting in Dandenong over restrictions:

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/s...41727280594946
Happening here also...
https://ticotimes.net/2020/08/26/pro...omic-reopening
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 27-08-2020, 10:28 AM   #16
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
It's a tough one isn't it. People who have a secure job and are able to work though the pandemic have one view on how to handle it. And people who's lives and job are impacted have a different view.

Both views are probably self-serving to equal extents.
Old 27-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
It's a tough one isn't it. People who have a secure job and are able to work though the pandemic have one view on how to handle it. And people who's lives and job are impacted have a different view.

I think the worst bit is we are at a point of no return (have been for a while).

If we relax and drop our guard it runs wild and then all this grief and anguish will be for nothing.

We need to, and hopefully will, get to a point where we can open borders etc back up but we need a better testing regime and one that is proactive.

If if there are no symptoms do spot testing etc. Keep age care facilities on priority for workforce management/visitor access.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
4 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #18
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123

There is understandably a range of concerns about the current restrictions.

It seems from my keyboard view; the protestors in Costa Rica are well organised and are clearly articulating what their grievances are and what they would like done about it.

In contrast about a hundred people walking down a street in Dandenong, some of whom claim to be exercising, are trying to antagonise a confrontation for obscure political motives.

I don't see them as the same thing or some sort of world movement.

Melbourne has begrudgingly accepted the current restrictions and is adapting to "the new normal in these unprecedented times'.
Old 27-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

I will never understand protests. Rarely, if ever, do they achieve anything and mostly they just distance people further rather than make them sympathetic to your cause.

I went past a BLM protest in the city here (adelaide) a few months back, and it was just an angry group of people standing around with a few taking turns to get up on a soap box and shout at everyone in the most off putting tone... How is that meant to achieve anything? Apart from the fact that its a bit of an echo chamber as all those that actually attend a protest already agree with it.

It just wastes a couple of hours of police time because they have to stand around and cordon off the area just so these angry people can have their little moment.
Old 27-08-2020, 01:00 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I will never understand protests. Rarely, if ever, do they achieve anything and mostly they just distance people further rather than make them sympathetic to your cause.

I went past a BLM protest in the city here (adelaide) a few months back, and it was just an angry group of people standing around with a few taking turns to get up on a soap box and shout at everyone in the most off putting tone... How is that meant to achieve anything? Apart from the fact that its a bit of an echo chamber as all those that actually attend a protest already agree with it.

It just wastes a couple of hours of police time because they have to stand around and cordon off the area just so these angry people can have their little moment.
Cause they want to be seen as doing something. It's all virtue signalling. Hey everybody look at me, aren't I great. Typical attention seeking behaviour from these kinds of people.

Is it in any way surprising they post videos when they get arrested for it, trying to get more facebook and IG likes?
3 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #21
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

I haven't a problem with peoples' rights to protest.
It was the colonial Stonemason's who kicked off the whole 8 hour day and one reason we all enjoy better wages, child care and living conditions.
https://www.nma.gov.au/defining-mome...eight-hour-day
Critical Mass has achieved a few rights for cyclist over the years but hey why not let everyone else do that so you can enjoy the benefits.

Old 28-08-2020, 04:47 AM   #22
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes. It's the policy makers, bureaucrats and government sector workers, all unaffected financially (i.e. still on full pay and benefits) making decisions which have a direct financial impact on the private sector and private individuals.

At some stage a tipping point is reached.
Old 26-08-2020, 09:15 PM   #23
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Anyone notice most of these video's on social media with these anti-restriction morons have a particular accent of the people involved? And a particular look about them?

Filming themselves being morons for their 15 min of fame. Hopefully they and their families contract COVID and end up in hospital. Or dead.

Morons.
Old 26-08-2020, 11:00 PM   #24
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
morons have a particular accent of the people involved? And a particular look about them?

Morons.
Yep, anti law has been rife for them, by suburb.
Old 27-08-2020, 12:13 AM   #25
marty351
Shenanigans..............

If Usain Bolt is your counter, were all headed somewhere dumb.

Civil rights and respect for the law go hand in hand, anti-maskers are idiots, but whats worse is the people who don't care for their own civil rights.

Allowing an elected government to take care of your lives, without question, shows cowardice and compliance to the establishment. Thats why the 2nd amendment in the USA exists.

We don't have that luxury, unless....?
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2020, 12:30 AM   #26
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Franco

Time for some quiet time and let some others post up their thoughts and opinions without you shooting them down.
Old 27-08-2020, 12:33 AM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Franco

Time for some quiet time and let some others post up their thoughts and opinions without you shooting them down.
It's not my fault that the only people who are attempting to counter my arguments are intellectually handicapped
Old 27-08-2020, 12:35 AM   #28
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
It's not my fault that the only people who are attempting to counter my arguments are intellectually handicapped
Maybe, that is not for me to judge. But still, enough is enough.
Old 27-08-2020, 12:40 AM   #29
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Arguments or opinion ?
I thought that was the theme here.... OR our supreme leader has spoken: idiot
Democratically defined as a social retard
Old 27-08-2020, 12:42 AM   #30
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

That's enough everyone.

Keep going, and the thread can be closed again.
Closed Thread