Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #331
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: First Drive: Falcon Ecoboost

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
the shutdown technology minimizes air and fuel intake when it shuts down half of its cylinders, but it does not gain efficiency because all of the parts are still moving. You are right that if the turbos do not spool, the engine will not suck in as much fuel. The smaller turbo engine is more efficient because you do not waste as much energy moving bigger pistons up and down. With the EcoBoost, the if the rpm were equal to a non turbo version of the same engine, the EcoBoost would consume more fuel with the turbos spooling. But to get the same power, less rpm would be needed. On the EcoBoost, the turbos help with low-end torque with minimal throttle input.
Variable displacement is key here,
Ford's research shows that 80% of running is done at less than 50% throttle opening so most of the
timean Ecoboost 2.0 can be run at light throttle on Miller cycle and behave like a Hi Comp 1.4 or 1.6
but it can equally re size itself to become the equivalent of a 3.5 V6 when needed.

Unlike older turbo engines with less sophisticated technology, Ecoboost engines don't need t0
as run rich at part boost for detonation protection, the new software programming does that
by using the VCT, Injection timing/phasing and increased EGR so at part throttle, it's like a diesel..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #332
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
the shutdown technology minimizes air and fuel intake when it shuts down half of its cylinders, but it does not gain efficiency because all of the parts are still moving.
the engine possibly becomes less efficient, but lets not confuse efficiency with economy. i'm simply talking L/100km. the honda accord dropped a few tenths off its ave l/100km with its cylinder shutdown tech, so it is more economical.

jpd - so when cruising, even if the turbo is spooling, the engine can become like a much smaller capacity. cool stuff.

i wonder how long it will be before camshafts are a thing of the past in everyday cars. i believe in F1 valves are operated via hydraulics and electronics and i thought ferrari or porsche had looked at that sort of thing.

internal combustion engine has a few tricks left up its sleeve yet.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #333
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
the engine possibly becomes less efficient, but lets not confuse efficiency with economy. i'm simply talking L/100km. the honda accord dropped a few tenths off its ave l/100km with its cylinder shutdown tech, so it is more economical.

jpd - so when cruising, even if the turbo is spooling, the engine can become like a much smaller capacity. cool stuff.

i wonder how long it will be before camshafts are a thing of the past in everyday cars. i believe in F1 valves are operated via hydraulics and electronics and i thought ferrari or porsche had looked at that sort of thing.

Think 1.0 I-3 Ecoboost coupled to bigger electric motors and batteries. The ICE will give just enough power
for long range highway driving with A/C and head lights but the plug in rechargeable Electric vehicle is coming.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #334
prydey
Rob

can't believe KERS systems haven't been more widely developed. porsche went down that road too, but i guess its a fine line between developing the petrol motor further or throwing development dollars behind the electric novelty.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #335
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
i believe in F1 valves are operated via hydraulics and electronics and i thought ferrari or porsche had looked at that sort of thing.

F1 is just pneumatic valve springs, theres still a physical camshaft and VVT is banned. LMP is probably more likely to drive engine technology as the manufacturers generally spend less money there and thus the regulations are more open.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #336
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
can't believe KERS systems haven't been more widely developed. .
KERS has a very limited application, the energy is easily lost unless the vehicle is in constant motion,
Electrical hybrids are most effective at low speed stop start driving, something KERS isn't good at.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #337
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

When at a cruise a turbo engine doesn't need to provide boost, it just vents the boosted air off if it doesn't need it. I'd say sitting on the highway at 100 the Ecoboost 4 would be providing zero boost. Up a steep hill with the cruise control on it might tip in some boost to maintain speed but just because its reached a point of revs where the turbos spool up doesn't necessarily mean the engine is taking the boosted air in.

As for the Honda Accord, even with a smaller 3.5 V6, lighter weight and cylinder shutdown it still uses more fuel than an I6 Falcon. 10.1 Vs 9.9 in the Falcon. Its a pretty poor engine really if after all those factors it still uses more juice than a bigger Falcon "dinosaur".
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #338
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
When at a cruise a turbo engine doesn't need to provide boost, it just vents the boosted air off if it doesn't need it. I'd say sitting on the highway at 100 the Ecoboost 4 would be providing zero boost. Up a steep hill with the cruise control on it might tip in some boost to maintain speed but just because its reached a point of revs where the turbos spool up doesn't necessarily mean the engine is taking the boosted air in.

As for the Honda Accord, even with a smaller 3.5 V6, lighter weight and cylinder shutdown it still uses more fuel than an I6 Falcon. 10.1 Vs 9.9 in the Falcon. Its a pretty poor engine really if after all those factors it still uses more juice than a bigger Falcon "dinosaur".
Honda V6 is nothing to write home about, the only engines they do good with are 4 cylinders.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #339
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

We will just have to wait & see. The Ecoboost Edge has had good reviews from what I have seen, but in the heavier Explorer not so good.. More locally a similar scenario is the Mazda CX-7 with the 2.3 DI turbo. They have reasonable official fuel economy ratings but can be pretty horrible in the real world, 14l/100 is pretty common or should I say easy to achieve.

I don't see why the Falcon won't be able to cruise without boost, and I am optimistic that the acceleration figures indicate that under 'normal' throttle applications it will be only under light boost in normal driving. Ironically I think that eco-tuning can be counter-productive because if the car is not responsive enough, people just apply more throttle which negates any economy benefit and more.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #340
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
They actually boost at cruise these days and vary the inlet vale to close late,
reducing capacity to around 70% and with it compression but adding boost
to this reduced capacity actually increases torque on light throttle meaning
a 2.0 Ecoboost actually behaves like a 1.4 or 1.6 litre engine that's lightly boosted
making it seem like a good 2.5 DI engine while giving outstanding economy.

Confused?

Quote:
Ford looked at cylinder deactivation but ruled it out due to excessive NVH.
IMO, using the 12:1 compression package with petrol and accessing more Atkinson cycle
would give the 4.0 I-6 much more variable capacity, enabling it to ape a 2.8 litre I-6 on cruise...
Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #341
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone that's experienced turbos on the past is afraid of part throttle boost and the associated enrichment
needed to avoid detonation, well I'm here to tell you that Ecoboost actually achieves a state of lean boost due to
sophisticated control of detonation through use of VCT, multiple firing of direct injection and healthy amount of EGR.
Precise control of all functions is the key to Ecoboost's success, it's way more than just a Bosch DI Turbo system,
that's why Ford has taken out so many patents on the software especially, protocols and control strategies
Old 01-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #342
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

will a t67 high mount fit
will the internals hold 30psi
will sct have a tuner
will pwr make a water to air kit
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #343
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good link to Ford paper on advanced Ecoboost studies here

Engineer a comprehensive suite of gasoline engine systems technologies to achieve the project objectives, including 25% Total Fuel Economy Improvement

•Aggressive engine downsizing in a mid-sized sedan from a large V6 to a small I4 (18% Fuel Economy Improvement)

Mid & long term EcoBoost technologies
•Advanced dilute combustion w/ cooled exhaust gas recycling & advanced ignition
•Advanced lean combustion w/ direct fuel injection & advanced ignition
•Advanced boosting systems w/ active & compounding components
•Advanced cooling & after treatment systems5% Fuel Economy Improvement

Additional technologies
•Advanced friction reduction technologies
•Advanced engine control strategies
•Advanced NVH countermeasures3% Fuel EconomyImprovement

Last edited by jpd80; 01-01-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #344
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
They actually boost at cruise these days and vary the inlet vale to close late,
reducing capacity to around 70% and with it compression but adding boost
to this reduced capacity actually increases torque on light throttle meaning
a 2.0 Ecoboost actually behaves like a 1.4 or 1.6 litre engine that's lightly boosted
making it seem like a good 2.5 DI engine while giving outstanding economy.

Confused?
Not at all. Allowing the cam timing to be continually changed via VCT opens up so many different parameters for engine tuning it can basically make an engine good at everything, whereas back in the day with single cams and no VCT everything the engine was tuned for was a compromise. Idle, economy, emissions, power and torque down low and up high, if you wanted one of them over the others then the others had to suffer in some way. Not anymore.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #345
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

some info for you..

Falcon EcoBoost specs

179kW @ 5,500
353Nm @ 2,000

8.1L/100km for XT (192g/km CO2)
8.5L/100km for G6 and G6E (201g/km CO2)

No price premium.

Also a minor change to EcoLPi which has further improved economy and emissions.

Available Q2.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #346
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Wow thats impressive...

Whats the 0 - 100.. It should nearly outdo the 3.6 Omega.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #347
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So about the same economy as Camry, but a hell of alot more power and torque.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #348
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That torque figure is insane for a 2 litre.

The real clincher though is the no price premium!
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #349
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
some info for you..

Falcon EcoBoost specs

179kW @ 5,500
353Nm @ 2,000

8.1L/100km for XT (192g/km CO2)
8.5L/100km for G6 and G6E (201g/km CO2)

No price premium.

Also a minor change to EcoLPi which has further improved economy and emissions.

Available Q2.
Hot damn.

Those L/100 figures combined cycle?

I'm struggling to understand why there is such a difference between the XT and G series.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #350
prydey
Rob

surely this makes the 6cyl redundant to all but a small minority of buyers!!

only 3kw less than BA. not quite as much peak torque but being available at just off idle, you wouldn't notice.

i can't see a reason why you would tick the 6cyl petrol box.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #351
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Cheaper fuel, cheaper rego.... its all a win...

I think ill trade my GT in on a G6.... comfy suspension / tyre combo, cheap to run..... sounds like the car to own!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #352
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I'm struggling to understand why there is such a difference between the XT and G series.
My too!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #353
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So when does left hand drive production begin??? That would eat the base model 5 series and e class for breakfast........ maybe thas all part of the plan. Impressive specs indeed.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #354
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

only 3kw less than BA. not quite as much peak torque but being available at just off idle, you wouldn't notice.

Only problem with that, no Ecoboost XR (I'm still not convinced this is a good move). So I still personally see a need for the I6 for this reason only. Hopefully this move might mean the XR will again become something special??
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #355
Rodge
Banned

8.1 litres v 8.5 litres per 100 km's on the face of it doesn't appear logical ??
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #356
Rodge
Banned

Quote:

198 Kw's and 409 nm's on 95 Octane Fuel, its proven 50 year history of good reliability and legendary longevity, simple design that's easily maintained, effortless power delivery, Ecoboost not available in XR6, potentially higher maintenance costs with the ecoboost especially over the long run.

I still think there's a good case for the I6 but agree the Ecoboost stat's look impressive.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #357
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
8.1 litres v 8.5 litres per 100 km's on the face of it doesn't appear logical ??
Those bigger alloys must be heavier hey rodge... Gotta remember the G6 / G6E have the heavier colour screen too!! Lol.

Might be a sign of things though, the 6 handles more weight easier... I would hate to think what the economy of the 4 pot towing would be!!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #358
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The G6 is 30KG heavier than the XT, and the G6E is another 20kg heavier than the G6, however even an extra 50kg would not suddenly make an already very heavy car 5% less fuel efficient. With the I6 the economy difference is only 0.1 ltr/100km between the XT and G6E, I would expect the weight differential to be the same (as its due to luxury equipment levels) and the wheel/tyre difference is well known.

That seems to suggest the XT has undergone some additional changes to further reduce the economy, possibly lighter smaller wheels, and low resistance tyres, further demonstrating Ford’s focus on the Fleet market for the EcoBoost. Not having an XR6 Ecoboost further suggest private buyers are not the targeted audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #359
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
The G6 is 30KG heavier than the XT, and the G6E is another 20kg heavier than the G6, however even an extra 50kg would not suddenly make an already very heavy car 5% less fuel efficient. With the I6 the economy difference is only 0.1 ltr/100km between the XT and G6E, I would expect the weight differential to be the same (as its due to luxury equipment levels) and the wheel/tyre difference is well known.

That seems to suggest the XT has undergone some additional changes to further reduce the economy, possibly lighter smaller wheels, and low resistance tyres, further demonstrating Ford’s focus on the Fleet market for the EcoBoost. Not having an XR6 Ecoboost further suggest private buyers are not the targeted audience.
This further proves my thought... the I4 doesnt like extra weight (like most 4 cylinders)....
Old 01-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #360
Rodge
Banned

Dunno guys its hard to figure. The new eco tyres are pretty trick but they're not cheap so if they're putting them on an XT is beggars belief they wouldn't go on the more expensive G6 and G6E.

Maybe the G6 and G6E rims and that super new touchscreen are all made of lead