Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #301
Falcon4L
'04 BA XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
Condolences to you mate.
I read the article on the girls this morning that bought a tear to my eye as it described how they put their love of animals before themselves.

Thanks, they were passionate about their animals. Enough so to put their own lives in grave danger. As comes with all grief I'm angered at the fact that I couldnt help them get out quicker or warned them earlier. But these things are in the past and eventually we will learn to deal.

80 series Turbo Diesel Cruiser
Falcon4L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #302
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Chucked in $50. I know it's not much, but it'll help someone out.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #303
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4L
As comes with all grief I'm angered at the fact that I couldnt help them get out quicker or warned them earlier. But these things are in the past and eventually we will learn to deal.
It's a terrible feeling isnt it. On Saturday late afternoon I was at a mates new house in Mernda watching the fire creep up the hill after the wind change, little did we know most of the residents were going through hell at that time.

And for us being from close to the area everyone you seem to talk to has a story of someone you know. I was at the garden yard today and 2 workers from there were in the fire, 1 lost his house in Kinglake the other saved his at Strathewan.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #304
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4L
Thanks, they were passionate about their animals. Enough so to put their own lives in grave danger. As comes with all grief I'm angered at the fact that I couldnt help them get out quicker or warned them earlier. But these things are in the past and eventually we will learn to deal.
they just showed their pics on nine news

the last 25 mins i have been shedding a tear and bein that this is prob the tip of the ice burg i can see me shedding a few more for those that are yet to suffer the horror that is happening

if there is anything i can do to help out please dont hesitate to contact me

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #305
Falcon4L
'04 BA XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
It's a terrible feeling isnt it. On Saturday late afternoon I was at a mates new house in Mernda watching the fire creep up the hill after the wind change, little did we know most of the residents were going through hell at that time.

And for us being from close to the area everyone you seem to talk to has a story of someone you know. I was at the garden yard today and 2 workers from there were in the fire, 1 lost his house in Kinglake the other saved his at Strathewan.
yeah you dont know how to feel most times. I just keep going over the last couple of days over and over in my head. I just feel anger at myself, watching the fire on saturday from humevale, I had hours to warn people but didnt.

Speaking to everyone around whittlesea town you hear stories some of which are happy others not so. It's just a depressing scene, the only thing that brings a little light into everyones life is the amazing support from all around australia. It's good to see in a time where australians seem to be drifting apart something like this can re-unite them and leave all resentment behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimus
they just showed their pics on nine news

the last 25 mins i have been shedding a tear and bein that this is prob the tip of the ice burg i can see me shedding a few more for those that are yet to suffer the horror that is happening

if there is anything i can do to help out please dont hesitate to contact me

Jason
Thanks mate, making donations are the best way to help as there are so many more far worse off than I am.

80 series Turbo Diesel Cruiser
Falcon4L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #306
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think some people are being a bit harsh on the media, if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have some of the amazing stories coming out of the fires, it is spurring people on for donations and assistance, the media have also helped reunite quite a few people, sure they may be a money making enterprise but they are helping out.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #307
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.enoughisenough.org.au/cou...FQUupAodqEjWrA

this is web addy that is there for those to help out

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #308
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Oh man, how scary.
http://player.video.news.com.au/news...gHU1W8r5AGvf8L
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #309
BFYOOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
I think some people are being a bit harsh on the media, if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have some of the amazing stories coming out of the fires, it is spurring people on for donations and assistance, the media have also helped reunite quite a few people, sure they may be a money making enterprise but they are helping out.
i agree mate, yeah they can be a bit low and heartless sometimes but after just watching a few different news channels, some of the reporters are clearly doing it tough themselves. obviously nothing even close to those affected, but imaging how sad it would feel being in pretty much absolute ground zero and still having to keep it together to do your job properly.
on a higher point, just heard both the kiwi and aussie sides are donating their entire match payments for the ODI to the cause. good on em, and good on all australians for digging deep and helping these poor aussies out. this is real aussie pride, not that garbage that happened on aust day, this is what it really means to be an australian. well done everyone.
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #310
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really hope they get a heavy downpour of rain and helps stop those fires.
If only I could send the 75 mm we've just had down there I would.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #311
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not too heavy though MO, can cause landslides and really bad flooding as there is no vegetation.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #312
XR-ENVI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Today i worked on the phones for a bushfire appeal and the support of people is amazing, this appeal was only through the geelong newspaper (with monies going to the Red Cross), when i left at 3 they had raised $70000 since 9am and most of the donations i took were $100 or less, a small amount really does make a difference.
XR-ENVI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #313
SBR_1
soon to be a McDonald :D

well i know what im doing with my $200 i got a a bonus in my pay today.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #314
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

as i sit here comfortably listening to to the welcome rain falling i have just finished reading all the post in this thread while whatching the news footage on tv. my head feels like it is swelling up, the lump wont leave my throat and i cant help but feel that i should somehow be doing something to help those that have lost everything in their lives, including friends and familly for some.

it is hard to believe that so many have died but at the same time its also hard to believe that anyone who was in the fires survived. the survivers still have their lives to start over again but the mental traumer and terror will stay with them for many years to come.

i have made a couple of cash donations yesterday ( bunnings and post office ) and this afternoon made arrangements for deductions from my wages which work (ergon energy) will match $ for $ .
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #315
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

What do you really say at a time like this? These poor people are going to need help for months and months to come. I think the government should forget about the $950 payment to everyone..drop it to $200 ( so people get some financial assistance) and give the rest to the bushfire relief fund.

A BIG THANKYOU to all the volunteer fire fighters. You are all hero's in my eyes.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:50 PM   #316
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFYOOT
i agree mate, yeah they can be a bit low and heartless sometimes but after just watching a few different news channels, some of the reporters are clearly doing it tough themselves. obviously nothing even close to those affected, but imaging how sad it would feel being in pretty much absolute ground zero and still having to keep it together to do your job properly.
on a higher point, just heard both the kiwi and aussie sides are donating their entire match payments for the ODI to the cause. good on em, and good on all australians for digging deep and helping these poor aussies out. this is real aussie pride, not that garbage that happened on aust day, this is what it really means to be an australian. well done everyone.
Just on that note.... Did anyone see Tracey Grimshaws closing tribute bit about Brian Naylor (She was live from Kinglake) last night on Current Affair?
If that wasn't one of the most touching, gut-wrenching moments in television, then I'll go jump!... She was quite obviously distressed, but determined to pay that last heartfelt tribute to Brian as well as the other victims.
I've been amongst the greatest knockers of ACA and TT with their "got up" sensationalism crap... But the way this lady handled this tragedy really brought it all home.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 01:36 AM   #317
punktured

I'm heading up to Kinglake today, I don't know what to expect or how I am meant to prepare myself for something like this. My boss who has been in and out of Kinglake the past few days has told me to brace myself because it's unimaginable what you will see.

In the next few weeks i will be working with my boss to help setup generators on people's house's and will be doing all i can to help rebuild when the time comes.

Media allowed in effected areas while families are refused to help loved ones, what a joke that is. Even locals coming back down for supplies were refused entry back even though they had their families still at home! Anyways, enough said on that topic.
punktured is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #318
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For the Sydneysiders here, radio station Nova 969's breakfast program Merrick, Rosso and Kate are running their 'Girls Bike Convoy' again to raise money.

A bit of fun with blokes riding girls bikes - getting sponsored etc. Making a fool of yourself while making a difference.

It is being planned for next week during the program, which runs Monday to Friday 5.30 to 9 am.

Tune in, or go to http://www.nova969.com.au/site/shows...osso_kate.aspx for more info.

I went to the last one, so will be going again for sure.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #319
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If there is one positive to take out of this is the response from normal everyday aussies. People with nothing giving everything they can to help someone they dont know. People affected by floods and devastation sending money that was meant to help them rebuild to others who have been affected by fires. It just go to show what a great country Australia is. All we have to do is get rid of arsonist, looters etc

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #320
AndrewE

anyone have/know a tally so far they have been able to collect..

Edit: Thats cash I'm talking about..
AndrewE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #321
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come pay day I will be donating to the Flood and fire appeals. And waiting to give blood in afew weeks again to help out. This is a year that will go down in history for all the wrong reasons.

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #322
Clint Eastwood
5.4L V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewE
anyone have/know a tally so far they have been able to collect..

Edit: Thats cash I'm talking about..
Over 25 million mate.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #323
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Red cross is up to about $32 million. Knox Car meet last night raised $4000.00

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #324
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

I really don't know what to say about this whole disaster. Even though I have lived in South Australia for over 20 years I was born and bred in Gippsland and still consider this to be my home.

Its moments like this that we know that there are no state borders and it makes me feel proud to be Australian when I see and hear about the support offered from all over the country.

To those directly effected, my families thoughts are with you.

I really don't know what else to say...perhaps the lyrics of this song best describe it.

Cheers

Brad

Sometimes in our lives we all have pain
We all have sorrow
But if we are wise
We know that there's always tomorrow

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

Please swallow your pride
If I have things you need to borrow
For no one can fill those of your needs
That you don't let show

Lean on me, when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

If there is a load you have to bear
That you can't carry
I'm right up the road
I'll share your load
If you just call me

So just call on me brother, when you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'd understand
We all need somebody to lean on

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on

Lean on me...

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
GT 8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #325
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Red cross is up to about $32 million. Knox Car meet last night raised $4000.00
Aussies should be proud to have stepped up and shown their support in raising this amount of cash. I can only imagine that this will make a start in rebuilding the lives of the unfortunate ones who have lost everything. Well Done all who seen the need and chose to help.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #326
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Woah that figure is massive and smashes the governments $10m in only a couple of days. Now the only worry I have is the insurance companies, couldn't have come at a worse time with this economic crisis.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #327
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
............Now the only worry I have is the insurance companies, couldn't have come at a worse time with this economic crisis.
Wonder how many property's that arent insured as ppl couldnt afford it?

The Major players in insurance should not have a problem they will just increase their rates again, its the Budget Insurance Companies that have come out to play with the big boys that are going to be hit hard with their cheap premiums and cheap cover.

If the Government wants to help the insurance company's and the general public with lower premiums they should make it compulsary to have House and Contents Insurance for all property's.

This would also benefit the Governement as in a catastrophes if all the property's are insured then the Government would not need to help out those who are un-insured......................with handouts.

Still there will be those who are under-insured............

Alot of ppl who are insured have money in their bank account today - either part payments or total loss payments.

Some Insurers, if not all, have been going through thier portfolios and contacting all those ppl with property's which are insured in the effected areas to see if a claim is need to be made.

Also you will have noticed all their adds in the papers advising you dont need your policy number to make a claim - just your name and address as they know some people have lost everything

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 11-02-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #328
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
The Major players in insurance should not have a problem they will just increase their rates again, its the Budget Insurance Companies that have come out to play with the big boys that are going to be hit hard with their cheap premiums and cheap cover.
I am not in insurance, but understand that most of the players, big and small, have catastrophy reinsurance arrangements that spread the liability around - in most case globally.

Insurance companies here seem to have an 'excess' like their policy holders. That is the local insurance company, RACV etc has their liability limited to $500M or something and then the re-insurers take the liability above that. That's why a lot of policies and companies have statements like underwritten by Lloyds of London or something.

Someone in insurance maybe be able to confirm if this is the case, or what is.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #329
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
If there is one positive to take out of this is the response from normal everyday aussies. People with nothing giving everything they can to help someone they dont know. People affected by floods and devastation sending money that was meant to help them rebuild to others who have been affected by fires. It just go to show what a great country Australia is. All we have to do is get rid of arsonist, looters etc
Yeah the ****-n-ists, the looters and the low lifes on the gold coast selling raffle tickets and taking donations "for the bushfire", scammers!!! Shows some people calling Australia home are really just criminals and 200 years too late.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #330
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Now is not the time for blame laying or conspiracy theories. Please have some sensitivity in regards to what has and still is happening. Any posts referring to anything of this nature will be deleted.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post