Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #301
ClunkyMunky
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
fixed for you :P you need to get your geek on in this thread

waiting for adsl2+ to be set up. i'll post when it is.. meant to be going from 8Mb to 24Mb, but i doubt it will be that fast. Used to have bigpond 30Mb cable extreme year ago, ahh those were the days.
Unfortunately ADSL2+ and my house do not get along...
We are roughly 4.5-5km from nearest exchange and SNR on the line is rubbish, something like 6db... highest speed we could connect was around 4.5Mb and dropped out every other hour. Tried new modems - no dice... was same at in-laws house down the road, so assuming just a dud area. So we're stuck with cable... which up until last month was a nightmare as I was paying $130/m for 60GB of data (and plus 15c/MB after)... ewww... but now Telstra did something good for a change and for that same price, I get 100GB (Shaped over limit) a month.. so not as hard on the wallet when you have no other choices.
ClunkyMunky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #302
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClunkyMunky
Unfortunately ADSL2+ and my house do not get along...
We are roughly 4.5-5km from nearest exchange and SNR on the line is rubbish, something like 6db... highest speed we could connect was around 4.5Mb and dropped out every other hour. Tried new modems - no dice... was same at in-laws house down the road, so assuming just a dud area. So we're stuck with cable... which up until last month was a nightmare as I was paying $130/m for 60GB of data (and plus 15c/MB after)... ewww... but now Telstra did something good for a change and for that same price, I get 100GB (Shaped over limit) a month.. so not as hard on the wallet when you have no other choices.
that SNR isn't too bad, mine is 6 as well. Anything over 5 is ok. the distance you mention is what makes your cnxn slow, unfortunately until better equipment is introduced here, anyone over a few km will have crap sync. what's your attenuation like? as i said my SNR is 6 too but the attenuation is only 19d/8u meaning i'm probably around 1.3KM from the exchange. here's a handy tool you can use to estimate sync speed:

http://fremnet.net/article/216/adsl-...eed-calculator

you may also find setting your modulation type to adsl1 may yield better sync speeds..

i find speedtest.net and ozspeedtest very inaccurate. either that or http is shaped by my isp..

whereas this is what it's capable of, which i put at about 16Mbps..

Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #303
Mainlube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is my fastest from work, TPG ADSL 2+ 50 GB with Optus Fibre out side.

I've seen updates from Microsoft download and write to HD @ 2 MB per sec. 120 MB per minute.

I like fast

Cheers

Steve
Mainlube 154 Synthetic Solid Boundary E P Gear Oil SAE 75w140 (diff)

www.Mainlube.com.au
Mainlube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #304
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainlube
This is my fastest from work, TPG ADSL 2+ 50 GB with Optus Fibre out side.

I've seen updates from Microsoft download and write to HD @ 2 MB per sec. 120 MB per minute.I like fast

Cheers

Steve
hi Steve,

nice DL bandwidth there, the upload is pretty ordinary to compliment it though! your DL capability is around 8.81MB per second so ms update is not utilizing it at all. As i showed in my post above yours, i can get 2MB per second and over which is about 16 megabit. You have over 70!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:41 AM   #305
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

got a more accurate result now

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 01-02-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #306
XRSEX
More money would be great

And to think, I work at a computer shop :S
XRSEX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #307
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just had adsl2+ put on and this is the result

How can i find out how far i am from the exchange to see if i am about right with the speed

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #308
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
How can i find out how far i am from the exchange to see if i am about right with the speed

Jason
Use this site Jason: http://adsl2exchanges.com.au/
Old 21-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #309
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]

Jason
Line impedance is the main thing that affects sync speeds. Your modem should have a management page that lists the upstream and downstream attenuation. plus the sync speed. This will roughly match distance from the exchange. Wire guage and the route the cable follows will also make a difference.
cs123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #310
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

im with TPG, supposed to be the 1500kb speed on adsl,we dont get adsl2 here.
i do have a lot of dramas with pages not opening properly and things like google image search which doesnt show pics and ebay as well.i have used a new laptop on my connection with the same result.

Last edited by dallasv8; 21-03-2010 at 04:48 PM.
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #311
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasv8

im with TPG, supposed to be the 1500kb speed on adsl,we dont get adsl2 here.
i do have a lot of dramas with pages not opening properly and things like google image search which doesnt show pics and ebay as well.i have used a new laptop on my connection with the same result.
that's not far off full 1500 speed
Old 21-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #312
xa_boy

Old 21-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #313
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

yea the speess not bad for where i live, its just the issues with pages not loading properly.currently waiting to see if anyone from the tpg forums can help.
Old 21-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #314
YOOT
Banned

Bigpond Standard Cable, I used to have the exteme which is 30Mbit/s but I don't need it. And because I have Foxtel, home phone, internet I only pay $40/month for it. Otherwise I would be on ADSL2+ for more money with MUCH higher downloads.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #315
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

i still can't quite get 18.. but i'll keep trying.

Old 21-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #316
Arkturus

Telstra ADSL2+
Arkturus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #317
bafel

work speeds

Last edited by bafel; 15-09-2014 at 11:35 AM.
bafel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 11:27 PM   #318
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats all I got today. seen a best of 1.3 Mb/s

Telstra bigpond adsl2.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 11:50 PM   #319
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

optus and telstra steal your money and deliver bad service in w.a atleast

iinet is the way to go in the west 15mb download 1mb upload
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 11:56 PM   #320
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 22-03-2010, 12:01 AM   #321
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8

Thats all I got today. seen a best of 1.3 Mb/s

Telstra bigpond adsl2.
you'd be a long way from the exchange then i'd guess.
Old 22-03-2010, 12:10 AM   #322
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
you'd be a long way from the exchange then i'd guess.
Not sure where the exchange is. I am however about 15 Km from the CBD in Brisbane.
Old 22-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #323
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Not sure where the exchange is. I am however about 15 Km from the CBD in Brisbane.
The most you are going to be is around 4 to 5km. That is the limit for service qualification for a ADSL service. At that distance you should push 1.5Mb/s on ADSL 1 and around 2.5 to 3.5 Mb/s on ADSL2.

There is probably something wrong with your line or your home wiring or poor filtering in your house. The one thing I always tell people to do is to get a proper central filter installed in their house. It'll cost you around $150 to get installed.
Old 22-03-2010, 01:01 AM   #324
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
The most you are going to be is around 4 to 5km. That is the limit for service qualification for a ADSL service. At that distance you should push 1.5Mb/s on ADSL 1 and around 2.5 to 3.5 Mb/s on ADSL2.

There is probably something wrong with your line or your home wiring or poor filtering in your house. The one thing I always tell people to do is to get a proper central filter installed in their house. It'll cost you around $150 to get installed.
I have done that. Had to with a back to base monitored alarm. I think I was just wasn't meant to have fast internet. Thanks anyway.
Old 22-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #325
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I have done that. Had to with a back to base monitored alarm. I think I was just wasn't meant to have fast internet. Thanks anyway.
The next thing I'd try is to disconnect the alarm ( or turn it off) and rerun the test.
Old 22-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #326
Werd.
nou

Quote:
hi Steve,

nice DL bandwidth there, the upload is pretty ordinary to compliment it though! your DL capability is around 8.81MB per second so ms update is not utilizing it at all. As i showed in my post above yours, i can get 2MB per second and over which is about 16 megabit. You have over 70!
I believe that speedtest is cached... TPG only sell ADSL2.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #327
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Well, I finally got a LITTLE bit of extra speed.

Slight improvement over my old reading:

How I did it - my ISP had me on a "custom" profile which meant I synched at 2048/512, no matter what the situation was, my connection was set at that speed. Got taken off the custom setting and thrown onto a normal profile like everyone else, and whammy! Still not fast compared to some, but its better than the old, and definitely better than nothing!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #328
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tested mine through the playstation (play tv) it was running at approx. 18Mb per sec which was good enough to watch tv (ABC Doccos that they show) which was good. I have fibre optic (newish suburb)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 01:03 PM   #329
Fent-Dog
Starter Motor

Fent-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #330
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Primus is like an old Fiat, its great when it works, but can be a flamin pain in the one way when it wants to be.
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post