Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-11-2015, 03:06 PM   #271
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Final Commodore LS3 304kw 570nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura View Post
the ****y little 5 litre is still quicker then the 6.2L so what's your point? .
To see who would bother to bite.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #272
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

To be fair, the XR8 is 1861kg and I recall seeing the SS V in the high 1700kg range. Might explain why it is a closer race, it's not just about the power output.

XR8 still chops it though, so I'm happy.
6 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #273
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Anyone who takes the slightest interest in the two local factory performance cars knows the XR8 has the wood on the SS Commodore when it comes to straight line performance.

It’s interesting to see the video and I wish there were more showing the cars going head to head as it gives an even better indication of the differences between their capabilities but the argument of which is the quickest over 0-100 or the quarter is ad nauseam and I can say the same about which is quickest around a track and how they are kitted out.

All things we all already know.

I like a fast car as much as most but I must be different to most buyers as in all my years of purchasing performance cars and I’ve owned a few, I’ve never intentionally bought one because it is the factory fastest, too many other factors play are part in my decision to narrow it down to just one thing.

If the fastest is my only goal then I have two options and that is always buy the newer model if it comes out with a higher power rating then the one I currently have to make sure I stay in front or if I truly want a fast car then be done with it and mod the buggery out of it.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #274
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Slightly off topic but anyone in the market for a Fast saloon, HSV have some crazy deals at the moment. Just seen a client with a 2015 GTS brand new for mid $70000s. Pretty good value even if this is a Ford forum. They are doing deals on Gen F 1s that are ball park with XR8s and SSVR.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2015, 06:03 PM   #275
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted View Post
Game Over lol

Ford Falcon XR8 vs Holden VF II Redline drag race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYEs...ature=youtu.be

Are my eyes whacked or does the Commodore get a slight jump at the start? Only 1 run - with the only run involving a jump by the Commodore?

Did the XR8 driver load up before launch- does not appear to have done so.

Oh boy, even with all the jiggery pokery the XR8 comes out on top.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #276
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura View Post
the ****y little 5 litre is still quicker then the 6.2L so what's your point? .
The point was rather silly, but so is saying "then" when you should have said "than". And really, the 5 litre only won because it was blown. It's still a gem of an engine, nonetheless...
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 07:23 PM   #277
BA Supa Pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
Slightly off topic but anyone in the market for a Fast saloon, HSV have some crazy deals at the moment. Just seen a client with a 2015 GTS brand new for mid $70000s. Pretty good value even if this is a Ford forum. They are doing deals on Gen F 1s that are ball park with XR8s and SSVR.
That seems cheap. I do know a bloke who just traded his ve ssv on a black manual 2015 GTS (brand new). He paid $79990 drive away for the GTS, less trade in.

AU XR8 sedan, Tickford optioned body kit & wheels, Galaxy blue, auto, pedders suspension, mild cam, headers, full system. (Weekend ride)

Previous Fords:

BA mk2 FPV Super Pursuit, manual, Mercury, Herrod cams, shaker, di-fillipo system.

BA mk1 XR8 sedan, auto, silhouette, leather, premium sound, 18" speedy wheels, cat back system.

SX Territory, silhouette, 7 seats RWD.
BA Supa Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #278
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would love to know how many runs they did. I bet they did a lot and then cherry picked the best run for the commodore as the falcon with the auto would have been pretty consistent i would think. Not that I care anyway
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #279
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Supa Pursuit View Post
That seems cheap. I do know a bloke who just traded his ve ssv on a black manual 2015 GTS (brand new). He paid $79990 drive away for the GTS, less trade in.
When looking at the SSV Redlines, the dealer I was at asked if I would consider a Clubsport.. They had one in stock, one of the last Gen F series 1 manuals they had.. R8, Black with the Satin Black Styling Package, Red Hot Leather, Sunroof and Forged rims options for $68k driveaway... Said he would do it for less if they took the Forged 20's off and put the Standard 20's back on.. Was a bloody good (tempting) deal... And they had a few Auto's R8's left and GTS's in Manual and Auto that they wanted to do killer deals on to make room for Gen F-2... GTS's even at $79k are out of my price range, unfortunately...

When it comes with the SSV Redline V XR8 thing though, Its not rocket science, if you want the Fastest Car in a straight line, with the better engine.. Buy the XR-8 and deal with the lack of tech and worse handling... Im getting my redline because of the better Handling, interior, standard equipment and driving position...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #280
sixman

I gotta say in the last few years i have seen lots of guys move from ford xr6ts/xr8s/fpvs to the vf range. Cant recall any of them regretting it. Also cant think of anyone switching from a vf to fgx.
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
sixman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #281
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixman View Post
I gotta say in the last few years i have seen lots of guys move from ford xr6ts/xr8s/fpvs to the vf range. Cant recall any of them regretting it. Also cant think of anyone switching from a vf to fgx.
This may have been something to do with ford not having a factory v8 option. Now with the FG X XR8, many have returned.

With every 3 out of 5 VF commodores being V8, tell me how many people would leave there XR6 Turbo and FPV for a V6 commodore
Old 11-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #282
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
I would rather buy a 2015 VF1 than the new clubsport LSA if I was in the market.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:11 PM   #283
BA Supa Pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
When looking at the SSV Redlines, the dealer I was at asked if I would consider a Clubsport.. They had one in stock, one of the last Gen F series 1 manuals they had.. R8, Black with the Satin Black Styling Package, Red Hot Leather, Sunroof and Forged rims options for $68k driveaway... Said he would do it for less if they took the Forged 20's off and put the Standard 20's back on.. Was a bloody good (tempting) deal... And they had a few Auto's R8's left and GTS's in Manual and Auto that they wanted to do killer deals on to make room for Gen F-2... GTS's even at $79k are out of my price range, unfortunately...

When it comes with the SSV Redline V XR8 thing though, Its not rocket science, if you want the Fastest Car in a straight line, with the better engine.. Buy the XR-8 and deal with the lack of tech and worse handling... Im getting my redline because of the better Handling, interior, standard equipment and driving position...
I agree with all of what you have said. My work car lease is up in about 6 months. Budget is about $45k, so can't quite stretch to a vf2 redline or a new FGx xr8. So my options at the moment are a standard new vf2 SS, a used 2013 Srt8 300, or an unlikely find of a used FGx xr8 (like hens teeth used and probably hard to find in the budget).

Had a look at a work colleagues 2012 SRT8. Impressive car for the $$, and to be honest I'd probably rather the right used one than a new vf2 SS.

AU XR8 sedan, Tickford optioned body kit & wheels, Galaxy blue, auto, pedders suspension, mild cam, headers, full system. (Weekend ride)

Previous Fords:

BA mk2 FPV Super Pursuit, manual, Mercury, Herrod cams, shaker, di-fillipo system.

BA mk1 XR8 sedan, auto, silhouette, leather, premium sound, 18" speedy wheels, cat back system.

SX Territory, silhouette, 7 seats RWD.
BA Supa Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2015, 11:36 PM   #284
701let

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Are my eyes whacked or does the Commodore get a slight jump at the start? Only 1 run - with the only run involving a jump by the Commodore?

Did the XR8 driver load up before launch- does not appear to have done so.

Oh boy, even with all the jiggery pokery the XR8 comes out on top.
Automatic + supercharged, the xr8 should have been far more convincing... With all that jiggery pokery under the bonnet
701let is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #285
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Supa Pursuit View Post
I agree with all of what you have said. My work car lease is up in about 6 months. Budget is about $45k, so can't quite stretch to a vf2 redline or a new FGx xr8. So my options at the moment are a standard new vf2 SS, a used 2013 Srt8 300, or an unlikely find of a used FGx xr8 (like hens teeth used and probably hard to find in the budget).

Had a look at a work colleagues 2012 SRT8. Impressive car for the $$, and to be honest I'd probably rather the right used one than a new vf2 SS.
Retail on the VF2 SS (Non V or Redline) is $50k.. Bargain hard and you can get into one of those I'd say.. Or wait for a demo/used one to come up.. Same drivetrain.. And they now do a performance brake option for $450 (pretty sure that's the price) as well...

The SRT 300's are bloody nice, i'll give you that... I knocked it off my list because no manual..

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #286
FGX335
Loving my '335' kW!

I've had a good go at my XR8, and I fail to see the criticism wrt the handling. For frig sake, it is an 1861kg car with '335kW', seems to handle pretty well to me. I'm not going to be running around a racetrack up against an SS V Redline, so the relevance just isn't there.

Again, with around 70kg less than the XR8, and a non-launch control start in the XR8, I'm not surprised the margin was where it was.
6 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #287
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Implying any but one or two of these would ever go down a dragstrip...

99% of HSV's and FPV's I've ever seen have been either driven by old people or being driven quite sedately and carefully.

Shame that most of them never see a wheel turned in anger as the maker intended, but that's life...the more expensive the car, generally the older the buyer.
Never under estimate the old people !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #288
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Even with the end in sight we still can't help but nitpick the differences between the Falcon and Commodore. Both awesome cars, both damn fast. If you're a Ford guy, the gadgetry holds little relevance. If you're a Holden guy, or just don't care, it'll be the SS every time. Objectively, it's a great thing and has the benefit of real development since 2008. And day to day, both a great drive. Both AUSSIE. Both to make ya proud.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2015, 03:20 PM   #289
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Addition this all this XR8 vs SS 0-100 time discussions based on the Motor Test... going by the motor facebook comments by motor mag, the SS run was with out launch control as they found it launched better without it in those conditions.

Plus they also managed to get 0-100 in a Fully loaded SRT of 4.3-4.5sec with the new 8speed Auto paired with the 6.4 Hemi (NA / 350kw / 637Nm)

so if your like 0-100s and tech, the new SRT could be something to look at.

*also the "new" SS engine is the same engine and tune they have been using in the "Chev" SS for USA delivered vehicles.

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #290
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
The point was rather silly, but so is saying "then" when you should have said "than". And really, the 5 litre only won because it was blown. It's still a gem of an engine, nonetheless...
My point wasn’t silly it was the ‘perpetual no new input’ of the back and forth arguments that were.

I admit it was provocative and the fact someone had to bite proves that.

Still if I had an option I’d always go for the larger cube engine because in my opinion it will give me a better starting point for my mods further down the line and I don’t see the LS3 as the slug some people want to believe it is.

Holden has offered it in a very soft tune, it has a lot more to offer.

When I was young I would have always chosen a 351 over a 302 or a 350 over a 308 over a 253.

Old school thinking I know but for me I see an SS as a good starting point with a lot of unleased potential via either the N/A or forced induction route all wrapped up in a good driver/passenger package as nothing to be sneezed at.

And for those who don’t need to be the fastest you can see why Commodore outsells Falcon.

I should also say I'm bias as I've ordered one.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #291
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
My point wasn’t silly it was the ‘perpetual no new input’ of the back and forth arguments that were.

Still if I had an option I’d always go for the larger cube engine because in my opinion it will give me a better starting point for my mods further down the line and I don’t see the LS3 as the slug some people want to believe it is.

When I was young I would have always chosen a 351 over a 302 or a 350 over a 308 over a 253.

Old school thinking I know but for me I see an SS as a good starting point with a lot of unleased potential via either the N/A or forced induction route all wrapped up in a good driver/passenger package as nothing to be sneezed at.

And for those who don’t need to be the fastest you can see why Commodore outsells Falcon.

Sounds like you need the 392ci Hemi.... Big Block with big torque and power! haha. but yes the SS, does offer a really good all round package for a good price!

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #292
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

No matter which car I've driven, the view for the driver has always been the same, the road ahead.

I can't understand people saying the interior looks dated. Sure it does, then you start driving. I don't keep looking at the interior.

SSV vs XR8 in one report saw the XR8 score better real world dynamics and feel. My personal experience back this up as well.

Only thing you get to enjoy while you drive is the motor and the handling. Who cares if the interior looks a certain way? Does it have Bluetooth, Satnav and a stereo? If yes, we're sorted.

If you want that stuff, enjoy your PlayStation car. But you trumpet your opinions as what makes a complete package, that's rubbish. Each person can want different things. The XR8 to me is the complete package. SSV is a compromise.

Just as every other thread where everyone says the GTS would flog the GTF and I shouldn't even turn up to have a go has seen the GTF win every exchange.

Similar story with the XR8.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #293
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Power and mods go the xr8, daily driving and economy get the SS, my brothers clubby get 7s/100km, the SRT8 core is well worth a look, 350kw, buckets of torque and 8 speed auto, what a wicked cruiser!!
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2015, 12:20 AM   #294
AussieCJ7

Quote:

I think sales figure are more linked to marketing and availability than actual buyer preference
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2015, 12:43 AM   #295
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:

What's your opinion of the new 5.2L flat plane cranked Mustang? It is an LS7's equal with nearly 2 litres less displacement. You can have your cubes, and I do get your sentiments, but times are changing and the pushrod V8s are almost extinct.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2015, 01:43 AM   #296
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

With current XR8 diff bush, the car is flawed from the day it's made

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2015, 01:55 AM   #297
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What's your opinion of the new 5.2L flat plane cranked Mustang? It is an LS7's equal with nearly 2 litres less displacement. You can have your cubes, and I do get your sentiments, but times are changing and the pushrod V8s are almost extinct.
Never thought I'd see the day and ford fans speaking like ricers...
Go burn all the classic ford pushrod muscle cars then.... man..
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2015, 03:05 AM   #298
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
That 5.2L flat plane crank V8 that’s only available in the overseas version of the Mustang sounds like a great piece of gear and the pushrod LS7's when not running the soft factory tunes have been proven to produce the goods as well.

But I’d much rather the 6.2 litre in my AMG as it’s mental enough for the car even in factory tune and when you fit power adders and in particular a Weistec blower which pumps up the output depending on auxiliaries to a starting point of 769 horsepower to over 1000hp then what's not to love.

In my book you can’t beat cubes as a starting point and when you add forced induction they can become insane.

To put AMG mods in perspective for the uninitiated the supercharger that provides the C63 with over 1000hp is available off the shelf for $15,780.99 USD and there are now quite a few AMG’s getting around in Australia and in particular Sydney wearing them under the bonnet.

I'd also never say no to a N/A big cubed pushrod engine, call me old fashion.

I will also add that as much as I love quick cars my days of having to be the quickest ended when one day I decided to changed direction and started throwing my cash at refinement more than straight out horsepower, I believe you end up with better value for your money.
Old 13-11-2015, 03:12 AM   #299
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstar87 View Post
Sounds like you need the 392ci Hemi.... Big Block with big torque and power! haha. but yes the SS, does offer a really good all round package for a good price!
Can't help but love a Hemi.
Old 13-11-2015, 07:22 AM   #300
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
With current XR8 diff bush, the car is flawed from the day it's made
Why? Cause you say so?

30,000 kms on my GTF with plenty of track time and zero issues from the bushes.

Seriously, give it a rest.

You sound like a former Prime Minister repeating the same slogan over and over.

SSV is flawed from day it is made with that auto box and underpowered (archaic) engine.

Last edited by kypez; 13-11-2015 at 07:43 AM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: