Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your DSG Auto, Focus or Fiesta?
Had a problem now its fixed by the dealer 11 15.71%
More than 1 promblem with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
More than 2 promblems with still ongoing issues 11 15.71%
3 or more problems with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
Never had any issues with my DSG Auto 22 31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
PDB1957
Starter Motor

Default Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
Hmmm. I wonder how long before we see a Destroy My Focus campaign?
It might be happening sooner than later
Web site under currently development
I will be looking for sponsors soon
PDB1957 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDB1957 View Post
It might be happening sooner than later
Web site under currently development
I will be looking for sponsors soon
If you're going to do something how much do you want to put a big "Sponsored by Big Damo from AFF" sticker go to on the car?

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
RedChris
Starter Motor

Hmmmmm, before you decide to totally trash the Focus' reputation, spare a thought for those of us who bought a manual or a diesel... maybe just stick with the gearbox (and Sync) issues?

I understand the anger, saw lots of it on VWWatercooled over DSG issues (used to have a VW group car), but the best outcomes are to be had by focusing (excuse the pun) on the specific issues. Ford needs to find a permanent fix for the gearbox, not the whole car.

VW Aus suddenly became much more responsive through the Age publicity. Whether they got their facts right or not, the Age pushed VW to offer much more to owners than they were evidently going to.
RedChris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 11:31 PM   #4
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mrs In Focus has a 2014 Focus that's very smooth and trouble free. Actually, I think it's smoother than the DSG in my car. She also had no trouble in the DCT 2010 Fiesta before that. So they're not all bad, although it does, anecdotally, seem to be a technology with a higher rate of problems than "traditional" torque converter automatics. Anyone know if CVT's have a better reputation?

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2015, 02:39 AM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
Mrs In Focus has a 2014 Focus that's very smooth and trouble free. Actually, I think it's smoother than the DSG in my car. She also had no trouble in the DCT 2010 Fiesta before that. So they're not all bad, although it does, anecdotally, seem to be a technology with a higher rate of problems than "traditional" torque converter automatics. Anyone know if CVT's have a better reputation?
i asked the same question on a forum some time ago about CVT trannys, if i recall the answers correctly and if you believe dudes on the internet, they in general are not too bad, but still dont last like a the old conventional slush box.

i have no legit data to say one way or the other , but thats my take on it too.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Our Nissan Qashqai 7000 klm the CVT is so very smooth, having the car for 4 months I don't drive it a lot, its very nice to drive and my wife loves it.
Top Gear UK rated the Qashqai as the best CVT they had tested.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Our Nissan Qashqai 7000 klm the CVT is so very smooth, having the car for 4 months I don't drive it a lot, its very nice to drive and my wife loves it.
Top Gear UK rated the Qashqai as the best CVT they had tested.
Its interesting that the Pathfinder one had many shudder dramas....and about 10 fixes to it.
Old 20-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Its interesting that the Pathfinder one had many shudder dramas....and about 10 fixes to it.
Its not the same CVT.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:26 AM   #9
narooma98
Starter Motor

waiting for replacement clutch was told 4-6 weeks 6 weeks ago at the time was 1235 clutches on back order now 6 weeks on is now 1735 and still none in Australia Disgraceful Ford its ashame we love our LW SPORT but cant wait to get rid of it and go back to the OLD FAITHFULL FALCON
narooma98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 08:42 AM   #10
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by narooma98 View Post
waiting for replacement clutch was told 4-6 weeks 6 weeks ago at the time was 1235 clutches on back order now 6 weeks on is now 1735 and still none in Australia Disgraceful Ford its ashame we love our LW SPORT but cant wait to get rid of it and go back to the OLD FAITHFULL FALCON
Thats disgraceful, and thats a hell of clutches on back order. they might as well have just done a recall.
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #11
PDB1957
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by narooma98 View Post
Thankyou for the information.
That explains why they were reluctant when I took the focus to the dealer on 15/04/2015 for the fifth clutch ( yes the shudder is back ) that the feedback I got from Dealer and Ford Customer Care that it was within specifications ( quoted TSB 1414 When I asked for a copy of TSB1414 I was refused.
ITS TRULY AMAZING THAT BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 2014 AND START OF APRIL 2015 THE FOCUS HAD NO SHUDDER WHAT SO EVER AND PERFORMED COMPLETELY FAULT FREE

It seems Ford only have a temporary fix for this reoccurring problem and cant keep op the supply of replacement clutches.

Sooner or later this vehicle is going to cause an accident as it occasionally hops across an intersection like a scared rabbit.

My website DESTROY THE FOCUS is nearly ready undergoing testing of VPN and Russian server, and links to Facebook, Selling Dealer and Twitter.

I tried to trade the Focus in at another manufactures dealership.
$ 8000 for a 06/2013 Trend with 30000 k.
It seems the word is out
PDB1957 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #12
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a guide Trade price is about half the price people advertise on cars guide for private sale
I was offered $6k trade in for a 2008 TDCi focus with 70,000klm and they were advertised 10-11,000 in Carsguide
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #13
C0ncrete

I have the latest F revision clutch and have since November. Its as bad as it has ever been.

Took it back to Ford who stated the RPM's or whatever was in spec. He sympathised with me but I understand there is nothing he could do.

I have the entire TSB EXCEPT the newer seal.

Emailing Ford todaay as I've had enough.

I was offered $13,400 on my 2012 Sport with 30k.
C0ncrete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0ncrete;5402594
[QUOTE=C0ncrete;5402594
Emailing Ford todaay as I've had enough.

I was offered $13,400 on my 2012 Sport with 30k.
My opinion is that these dry clutch DCTs are not suitable for city driving. They should have stuck with the wet clutch versions IMHO.

The software that controls the DCT just doesn't seem to be able to cope well with the on and off throttle required during stop start traffic, whereas in a manual the driver can anticipate in these situations the computer just cant.

In D at roundabouts is downright dangerous in these boxes.

Because of these issues I used to drive my Focus S DCT in manual mode, but Select shift ends up being slower than a true manual there being a pretty big pause between asking for a shift and getting one.

I recently traded mine on a new MK7 Golf Comfortline Manual and got $16990 trade on my 2012 with 25K's, they don't hold their value that's for sure. I was happy to see the back of it, the Golf manual is a joy to drive after the DCT.

The only thing I miss is Sync, though it had its issues as well.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 11:56 PM   #15
7fords
Starter Motor

My daughter took her 2013 LW Mk11 Focus in to a dealer last week - reporting shudder (auto gearbox), the dealer confirmed the defect and stated " level of shudder exceeds acceptable, requires clutch replaced ". But was told sorry no clutches available for a few months - we'll be in touch!!!. She did however get the front drive halfshafts replaced, which apparently are a warranty job!!
7fords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #16
alokin123

someone has started a facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/761663227244824/
Old 25-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #17
C0ncrete

Narooma was that some arrangement with Ford or did you take the hit?
C0ncrete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #18
mihailou
Starter Motor

Have recently purchased a Focus Trend ( if I'd read this forum first I may not have) Can anyone answer a few queries I have regarding this problem
Does every Focus auto have this problem?
Is there a common denominator eg where and when it was built?
Have later builds solved this problem mine has a build date of Sept 2014?
mihailou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #19
Nesbit
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihailou View Post
Have recently purchased a Focus Trend ( if I'd read this forum first I may not have) Can anyone answer a few queries I have regarding this problem
I have a 2013 built Trend which i bought brand new. I have been through 3 clutches and numerous computer resets. The last clutch i had done (Dec 2014) seems to have fixed the problems for me (shudders, rattles and no take off when you plant the foot) and it does drive better.

From the reading i have done on the internet and on social media the common denominator is the piece of ***** clutch they decided to use for this car regardless of build date! I would be interested in seeing how much this will cost Ford. Take a look at this video some interesting thoughts on there.

Unfortunately i am not in the financial position to get rid of this car but as soon as i can it is going and i have my eye on the Mazda 3. Hope you have better luck that i have had.
Nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2015, 09:57 AM   #20
alokin123

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbit
I have a 2013 built Trend which i bought brand new. I have been through 3 clutches and numerous computer resets. The last clutch i had done (Dec 2014) seems to have fixed the problems for me (shudders, rattles and no take off when you plant the foot) and it does drive better.

From the reading i have done on the internet and on social media the common denominator is the piece of ***** clutch they decided to use for this car regardless of build date! I would be interested in seeing how much this will cost Ford. Take a look at this video some interesting thoughts on there.

Unfortunately i am not in the financial position to get rid of this car but as soon as i can it is going and i have my eye on the Mazda 3. Hope you have better luck that i have had.
Not every focus has the problem, it doesnt matter where it was built and from what i have been reading it hasnt been fixed in later builds of this model.

If you have come from a normal auto to this car you will definitely notice what many people complain about with the shudder and rattles as Nesbit mentioned; some cars more than others for some reason. That is just one of the symptoms. If there is a leak in the transmission, those sounds are a lot more scarier. It can sound like you are dragging a muffler under the car.
I certainly would not have gone anywhere near this car if i had known what i know now. Its better now than what it was but every time i get behind the wheel i am always feeling and listening for the sounds. It really has caused psychological scars sadly.

Do dealerships buy back cars in general? Even if there isn't a problem?
Old 29-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #21
mihailou
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokin123 View Post
Not every focus has the problem, it doesnt matter where it was built and from what i have been reading it hasnt been fixed in later builds of this model.

If you have come from a normal auto to this car you will definitely notice what many people complain about with the shudder and rattles as Nesbit mentioned; some cars more than others for some reason. That is just one of the symptoms. If there is a leak in the transmission, those sounds are a lot more scarier. It can sound like you are dragging a muffler under the car.
I certainly would not have gone anywhere near this car if i had known what i know now. Its better now than what it was but every time i get behind the wheel i am always feeling and listening for the sounds. It really has caused psychological scars sadly.

Do dealerships buy back cars in general? Even if there isn't a problem?
Thanks for the info. Since you advise that not all transmissions show the problem shouldn't Ford be able to isolate a common fault or setting or heaven forbid slack parts quality and fix it ??
Old 30-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #22
alokin123

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Since you advise that not all transmissions show the problem shouldn't Ford be able to isolate a common fault or setting or heaven forbid slack parts quality and fix it ??
You would think so wouldn't you? Well i think Ford thought they had a fix, which was probably the reason they waited ages to acknowledge the problem and then extended the warranty on the clutches but you can read the numerous tales online of people who have been through numerous clutches with the problem returning. So either its a faulty part or maybe the people replacing them arent doing it properly. I dont know.

Last i heard people have been told there is like a 3 month wait for new clutches.

Having said all that, the Diesel version of the Focus uses a wet clutch which from all reports doesnt have this problem. Doesnt really help us petrol owners
Old 02-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #23
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the focus has been good for a while with its new clutch ect that was replaced by ford. But the shudder is back and the indecisive nature of the transmission.
It's booked in at ford on monday but seems like it's time to sell as the focus once its out of warranty will be a very expensive car to fix.
Anyone else notice the shudder is back after ford supposedly replaced clutch? mind you we have done 15000km since they fixed it last time.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #24
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
Anyone else notice the shudder is back after ford supposedly replaced clutch? mind you we have done 15000km since they fixed it last time.
Yes i dont think it will ever go away sadly. But the shudder is "normal" apparently.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:06 PM   #25
SpoolMan

Quote:
Ours was doing it within 4 weeks of there supposed fix.

Old 02-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #26
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
These transmissions are supposed to automatically adjust as the clutch faces wear, they just don't seem to be able to get the software right.

This is why multiple owners report transmissions getting clutch replacements that revert back to poor performance over time.

These dry clutch DCTs were just a bad idea, they should have stuck with the wet clutch instead of chasing the minor fuel efficiency gain.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

MIL just had the clutch replaced. She's happy about the fact that the car doesn't bunny hop when taking off. Not happy about the this garbage clutch.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #28
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is sad, would be a great car if they'd stop mucking around with the automatic tranmissions. KISS.
Will be selling the car soon and sadly won't buy another ford.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2015, 11:09 AM   #29
mihailou
Starter Motor

Today's Courier Mail's Carsguide has a letter from a Focus owner who advises that their car will go in for it's 6th fix.
Ford's reply states that they are aware of "some" customers concerns and are working with them and request that any customers with issues to contact their local dealer to resolve the issue.
So there we are the issues are under control.
As a matter of personal curiosity what percentage of these transmissions are having problems is it 1 in 2 or 10 or 100?? Does anyone apart from Ford have any idea ??
Old 04-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #30
SpoolMan

Quote:
As a matter of personal curiosity what percentage of these transmissions are having problems is it 1 in 2 or 10 or 100?? Does anyone apart from Ford have any idea ??
I have added a Poll with an option for those that have had no issues..