Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Networking

OK a quick networking question ;)

I have a 5 port CenterCOM FS705 newtorking thinggy ....... On this the 5th plug has 5 and then a line to two buttons.... one says xPC and the other says =hub .... I assume I plug the ethernet cord from my computer to this port ???? Would I then set it to PC or HUB ??????

I have my ADSL modem set up using the usb port to my computer.

I am trying to connect 3 other computers to this main one.

Do I connect all the plugs to the computers at once & then do the network wizard thinngy or do I do it one at a time????

Also do I connect my modem thru this hub thingy or do I keep it as a USB connection to the main computer ????

Plain english would be great ;)

MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

You'd set it to PC. However it that doesn't work change it to hub. One of them will work.

Best to have everything ready before you start.

It's easiest to keep th emodem USB, but the best way (because you don't then need the computer with teh modem attached on 24x7) is to do it via the network.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 07:02 PM   #3
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the modem simply operates through the computer & the other computers read the net from there??????

Im not concerned about leaving the computer on as these others are only computers so the kids can get online & not fight over whos turn it is ........ they wont be needed 24/7 ........
Old 25-09-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Yep, the network wizard will set everything up for you.

Old 25-09-2006, 10:45 PM   #5
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers for that

I have managed to conect one of the computers up ....... youngest is having monitor issues .... will be solved in the morning with a spare thats in the shed that hes too lazy to go get now :P

Only problem Im having is that I cant seem to get the win98 computer to run a network wizard of any description ..... I have a win98 disc but not an XP one ..........This (the main)computer is on XP & the wizard on here said to use an XP one ........

Any ideas ??????
Old 25-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #6
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

The one disk that it makes should work fine, on win98 too. Although I haven't tried it. Maybe someone else can add their 2.2 cents and confirm/deny this.

Old 25-09-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IF I had a floppy it would be handy :P

Cant find an option to burn it to CD ...... might have to buy a floppy tomorrow when Im in town if theres not another option ;)