Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 27-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
leylander
Starter Motor

Exclamation Rear brake callipers

G'day, First time caller, long term listener.
I am looking at a replacement for the failed seal on the handbrake actuator of both the rear callipers on a 1988 Telstar TX5 Hatch. These are apparently REALLY hard to get and the only other option is to replace with a new PBR calliper set.
Which brings me to my next question: does anyone have any idea how much the new callipers are; both performance and stock?

PS, I am not going to buy second hand stuff or re-manufactured as they will eventually have the same issue in 100k kms.

leylander is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

the new PBR is the only option after your PS...
ring around you might find a good price
only a guess so allow $200 each caliper you can go performance and better rotors and disc pads but expect to pay more
Old 06-09-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
leylander
Starter Motor

Hey, I found a source for the service kit; they are IBS (Indipendant Brake Suppliers) and Repco can order from them as they are wholesalers.

A major repair kit for the rear (both sides) cost me $110 - a bit on the expensive side considering that all I needed was the handbrake seal.

Since buying the repair kit, I have installed it and realised that during the installation, I punchured the seal and now have to buy another one as I threw out the old parts and the garbage was collected before I realised! (one seal was fine).
leylander is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post