Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
El_Poochino

Default Should I repair or not

I have a 92 EB ford fairmont that has 120kms on the clock. It was involved in an accident and substained front end damage. There was no structural damage. I was quoted $3000 to fully repair the damage, could reduce the bill by about $1000.

It also has some mechanical issues, with reverse in the auto gearbox usable, but 'slips' when you hit the gas. It is also running rough. After it reaches temperature, it splutters and has no acceleration when the pedal is floored. It couldn't maintain speed heading up a hill on the highway, the cruise floored the pedal and dropped down a gear and was still loseing speed. The temperature gauge has peaked into the red twice, the second time I it happened I kept moving at a fair pace (through a moutain pass, heading uphill) to drop the temp down. The rear diff plug has a leak. The boot seals are shot so water was leaking into the boot. A small oil leak from the timing cover and sump area. Some tyres are getting low on tread and the front door cards are in poor shape and need a bit of work. Also an audio setup that needs a bit of work and reinstall.

So, any advice or what would you do in my situation?

Also, what is a good cheap method to transport the car interstate if I need/want to move it?

El_Poochino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
niko
likes falcon's

you sure it has 120k's on the clock? lol

check the sensors out, do a cooling system pressure test, service the auto/get a replacement and service that,

many things you can do to keep on top of maintanence. (sounds like you've been very lazy with it)
Old 01-08-2006, 05:01 PM   #3
Gunns
Banned

By the sounds of things cut your loses and get rid of it or part it out.
I would look at throwing it on a train if you want to move it interstate.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 05:15 PM   #4
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Get another car the same and build the best of 2 if you like the EB, otherwise look at an upgrade to an EF/EL or ED XR6

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 05:18 PM   #5
Tiga_EL
Banned

I say get rid of it and buy a slightly upgraded model. EF/EL and AU's can be had fairly cheap now.
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Bugger it off and get an EL I say, newer, more comfy, more power but cheap.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 05:41 PM   #7
El_Poochino

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
you sure it has 120k's on the clock? lol

check the sensors out, do a cooling system pressure test, service the auto/get a replacement and service that,

many things you can do to keep on top of maintanence. (sounds like you've been very lazy with it)
Yup, just a tad under 120kms. An old preist owned it since new and used it to drive to the shops, he passed away. The car sat for a year. Then I got it (not even a year ago). After a month or so I serviced it, all fluids changed, and this is when the problems started rearing its head.

Oh, and the cooling system is mangled. So thats an easy fix providing the problem isn't in the engine.

The rego is due for payment in 3 weeks and its registered in Vic so I have to decide to repair or not so I can dodge roadworthy.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Mate if it was me I'd just cut my losses. By the time you add up the 3000 to repair the accident, new tyres, sorting out the engine (which sounds like a headgasket) and all the other minor issues, you could easily find yourself a very clean EL or possibly an AU.

Even if you don't want to upgrade, 3000 will find you an immaculate EB/ED Fairmont Ghia.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 08:04 PM   #9
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

I say update to a DF2 LTD. Mine is insame. Nice to drive and is a V8. Too many problems with thee EA-ED as you know already
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #10
El_Poochino

:

I'll let you guys know what I am doing. If I am parting it there will be some parts for sale in a month or two.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:14 AM   #11
EDXR6T

Junk it!!!!

Upgrade time i think i got a 98 EL Futura for $3700 with RWC and reg till next year.

New car's are just insanly cheap these day's so no point wasting money on fixing a 14 year old car up
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 12:04 PM   #12
94EDxr6
5.SPEED

dude sounds more like a yellow EA (jk). yea dude it sounds like u havn't put much into this car in terms of maintance so just give it the flick. if its going to cost u $3000 just to fix the crash you may as well find another $2000 and get a roadworthy ED
94EDxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 04:28 PM   #13
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tramission would just need a service, but yeh if its gona cost 3000 to repair the damage get another car. Just make sure its an e-series car :
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #14
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

120km's ever been serviced from the sounds of it NO!

And buy some tyres I guess you meen rear tyres are getting low
I know mine were...

I went through 6 rear tyres in 6 months... Thats a pair every 2 months..
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post