Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-07-2006, 02:15 AM   #1
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Question Personal Media Player... help!

OK guys (and gals), I'm in the market for a new media player. In other words, an MP3 player, but I figure that now that the 5th Gen. iPod's out, and Creative have a player with video capacity as well, I might as well take a step above the MP3 player I have now, and get something that's also got video capabilities. Thing is, the 5G iPod and the Creative Vision:M (the two players I've identified as the best candidates for my hard earned) are both fairly different players.

The iPod's got a lower battery life for playing video, and a 17 hour life (officially) for music. That stretches a little with the 60GB model, which has double the RAM. It doesn't come with an AC Adapter out of the box, but I think the price difference between the iPod and the Zen should cover the cost of an AC adapter though. The other thing it doesn't have out of the box is an FM tuner. Being a student in a uni town, there's some decent student radio on that I like to listen to. It is a more attractive unit though, for a couple of reasons. First of all, it's smaller. Both of them are the same HxW, but the iPod is almost half the thickness of the Zen. Second, it seems to have a more intuitive user interface. I've had a Zen Touch in the past, and it wasn't quite as well designed in that respect as the iPod, and it doesn't look to have gotten much better. So what's the problem with the iPod, you ask? The video. It can play back .mov and MPEG 4 video, while the Zen's compatible with both DivX and XviD.

Basically, any tech-geeks out there, who've got/used a 5G iPod, how successful have you been converting to MPEG 4 usable by the iPod from DVD/avi? And, anyone out there who has the Creative Zen Vision:M, how do you feel about your player?

Old 14-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will find a fair few people here dis-like apple. Donno why? Anyhu ive always had ipods, had a 3G, and now have brought a 5G 30gig. I love it, and cant find any flaws with it.
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not into those pda type things...do alot more than any ipod..

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id suggest doing a forum search on this topic coz there has been a few well responded threads on this topic.

Me - I have a 30gig 5th Gen ipod and love it to bits. No problems at all.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post