Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-06-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
trburnard
Landau: Coming Soon

Default AU III V8 conversion - to be or not to be?

Ladies/Gents

I currently have an 02 AU III forte, pretty much stock as far as mechanicals go. I am looking at doing some mods to it but I have a dilemma do just go through all the bolt ons or do I dig up an XR8 motor and convert. While I'm on that, do BA motors fit?

I have been quoted $7500 for a 250 pursuit ute motor is this even possible?

Following that line of questioning, if I'm going to do that, should I convert it to a manual while I'm at it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the whether this is even wise....or do I just bin the forte and get an XR8 off any one who's selling and start from there. 2002 XR8s with reasonable K's still aren't that cheap by the way and if you know of one can you tell me ;)

It would be great to hear the "collective's" thoughts on the matter

Cheers

Trent

1973 Landau (Original 22000 mile survivor)
trburnard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 09:15 PM   #2
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

I like the way you think!!!! go the manual conversion with the v8 upgrade, you'll love it (well I would anyway)! I wouldve thought it could be done cheaper then $7500 for just the engine tho, I had an xr6 vct installed and a manual conversion at the same time and it only cost $3000 all up and most of that was the manual conversion! as for the BA into the au, anything is possible, I seen an AU motor in an XF so I dont see why not, just more messin around involved.
Old 14-06-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
trburnard

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo_yobbo
I wouldve thought it could be done cheaper then $7500 for just the engine tho, I had an xr6 vct installed and a manual conversion at the same time and it only cost $3000 all up and most of that was the manual conversion!
Your dead right ... i forgot to mention that the price included the Auto trans with it. I'm sure it would be pretty solid but you cant beat the manual heh....

Old 15-06-2006, 01:35 AM   #4
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Ba......

If a BA motor fits then stick in a I6 BA motor, the power diffrence between a I6 and a XR8 200 is noticable, but it's close! There was a thread about this only a couple of days ago, it was regarding the diffrence's between the XR8 motor Vs the BA/BF I6 motor!

And i don't want to hear that "Oh of course the XR8 is wayy better" im just saying what that thread is saying! And i've driven a BA/BF and they do go pretty hard for a I6.....It was a station wagon...So it weighed even more!

I'd say put a BA motor in if you could as it'll perform even harder then it would in a BA as the AU body is much lighter!

That's just what i think.......

Cheers

Simon :evilking: :nutsycuck
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 01:57 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Or just buy a BA if you want a BA. The BA 6 is more powerful then the AU 6 because it has to be - it is luggin around an extra 100+ kg.

As for the AU V8 - you can't beat the torque of an 8, so any of the 185, 200 or 220s will be OK. I think their torque figures are 405, 412 and 420 respectively. 7500 for the stroker 5.6 l 250 with auto sounds like a bargain, but not sure how the Ute BEM/ECU would go in a wagon.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 03:37 AM   #6
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
7500 for the stroker 5.6 l 250 with auto sounds like a bargain, but not sure how the Ute BEM/ECU would go in a wagon.
I don't think he has a wagon JC, i metioned that i drove a BA/BF wagon so maybe that's where you may have got confused!

Cheers

Simon :eclipsee_ :
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
MRJUCY
Fordless

It can be done easy enough sure but really you're better off just buying a XR8 by the time you pay for it all to be done & then you still just have hot rod forte that misses out on lots of other goodies & isn't worth as much to sell. Also a factory installed motor is always a happier marriage then a backyard installed one.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #8
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

I preffer the backyard jobs - its always got that JATZ ("I made it myself") feeling to it then, and you know your the only one like it (untill someone else does it). Presumably if your doing something like that to your car your not planning on selling it anyway so resale value shouldnt be an issue, then you got a lighter car + bigger motor = faster car (and more speeding tickets).
at the moment a BA persuit is gonna cost allot more than $7500 and the forte will fetch peanuts if sold regardless.
Just DO IT - you know you want to!
Old 15-06-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

He is getting the driveline from a 250.... The Windsor stroker from an AU pursuit not a BA

I personally wouldnt spend that coin on a Forte to only bring it up to a factory (T series) spec

Look into the BA engine first

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #10
trburnard

Cheers guys. All this is helping and I take on board your thoughts regarding the value of a forte. The car is a sedan and i really would have to end up doing the engine/drive line interior and visuals. So it may in fact be worth starting with a different base.

Thanks

Old 15-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #11
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Doesnt matter what car you get, your always gonna end up wantin to redoo everything - when shopping for a car, I personaly find the cheapest, stingyest one with the worst interior and dodgy motor in the model I want, coz then I can justify to myself why Im redoing the whole motor, driveline, body and interior. If you get a better base, it just makes it that much harder to justify the work to it (imo) but you all know its gonna be worked on anyway in the end!
Old 15-06-2006, 04:39 PM   #12
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

Would a BA engine (6cyl) hook up with the AU T5 gearbox? id love to drop one of those bad boys in.
Old 15-06-2006, 04:57 PM   #13
I6corp
Was V6corp

I dnt think so, they BA gear box is alot stronger and bigger then the AU
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 08:33 PM   #14
smally289
growing up is optional

I had thought about converting my AUII Futura wagon to an 8, and looked into a few different options. One of them that appealed to me was buying another complete vehicle and swapping over all the bits needed. AU Fairlane V8's can be bought fairly cheaply (was looking at one for 12k) and should be easy to resell with the 6 back in it.
Just a thought.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 05:33 PM   #15
trburnard

Default Not a bad idea

The fairlane idea is not a bad one actually....I'm sure there is probably a few being wrecked as well. I might look into that option.

Cheers

Old 17-06-2006, 05:43 PM   #16
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Why bother, just sell the forte and buy an XR8,if you work out what it would cost you to buy another engine/driveline and all the hassle's or paying someone big dollar's to do it for you and add this to the cost off the forte in the 1st place, it could be way over what you could buy a AU XR8 with, and at the end of the day it's only just a forte, have you checked with vic road's etc on the legalities off doing the conversion, sound's like a big headache to me, just spend your time looking for a good AU XR8, they are out there, look at Bluedriver's recently.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or supercharge or turbo the one you got, it will go hard with less headaches along the way and probably cheaper
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post