Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #1
Mikey B
Frozen White Focus RS

Question Just Bought ST170 - Problem

Hi all,

I bought an ST170 at the weekend...got it cheap as it does require a front bumber paint job (has a few scuffs).

However, I drove it from Melb back to Adelaide, no issues until I noticed at work yesterday that there was coolant leaking from around the plastic thermostat housing on the side of the head.

Now, does anyone know if the housing is unique to the ST or is it common across the 2.0L Zetec range? There seems to be a 'bung' right underneath, not sure if it's just weeping from there. It's not losing lots of fluid, just annoying and is running down the gearbox.

The car still has 6 months warranty, so not too worried, just concerned if it's a unique thermo housing, lead time for new gasket or replacement will take a few weeks when i have a 2,300Km drive to Brisbane in less than 3 weeks time!

Any help, would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Mikey B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
whippet_zetec
Supes

best thing would be to call up your Local Ford dealer and ask. The engine in the ST170 is a Duratec not a Zetec so they are different. You will find alot of the components on the ST170 are different to the LR Zetec.

Good Luck
Todd
Old 06-06-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Your driving from Adeliade to Brisbane! Damn...flying woudl we waay cheaper wouldn't it?

Do you mind me asking how much you picked it up for?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
Mikey B
Frozen White Focus RS

I got it for 20k, which I thought was good considering most are up for 24k!

The car's booked into Ford dealer next Wednseday for check up. Additionaly, I want them to flash the PCM with 3NFG cal rather than the 3NFE lumpy cal that it has! I can't believe someone has driven this car for 2.5yrs with no driveability complaints!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:18 PM   #5
marcosambrose

Hey Mikey B, sorry to hear about your problems, but im delighted that a member has bought one on these forums.

Im real keen on purchasing one, so id like you to keep up updated on how she runs and any problems etc.

Is it 2003 or 2004 build?
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

My LR CL had the same problem and it turned out to be a cracked thermostat housing. Replaced under warranty.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:47 PM   #7
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
best thing would be to call up your Local Ford dealer and ask. The engine in the ST170 is a Duratec not a Zetec so they are different. You will find alot of the components on the ST170 are different to the LR Zetec.

Good Luck
Todd
The Duratec ST (Not to be confused with the Fiesta Duratec or the LS Focus Duratec) engine is very similar to the 2.0L Zetec engine... Basically has a slightly different head and different inlet manifold.. (among other minor things)
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Mikey B
Frozen White Focus RS

The ST's a 2003 build...would have preferred a 2004, but hey, at $20k, didn't mind so much! Once the coolant weep is fixed, the latest engine cal flashed, front bumper painted, it'll be a good car! I know the ST170 isnt' a point and squirt motor, but I have to say, the handling capabilities give greater confidence than my BA XR6.

Can anyone recco a good painter in the Brisbane area? I wont get the bumper sorted until I've driven up in a few weeks time just incase i come in contact with some Australian wildlife!
Old 08-06-2006, 12:24 AM   #9
Mick K.

Nice choice of car.

Re: painting. Try eurofix - fairly central in Mayne - I took my Golf there after a bingle and they did a good job.

Also, don't get your hopes up that a Ford dealer will be able to help - they only seem to know something about Falcons and even then it's only a maybe :(

I'd try the RAA/RACQ or get some photos and ask here or the UK's Ford Focus Owner's Club.

Have a safe trip.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
amlohac

Mine also had the problem, all replaced under waranty. You may also want to check all the hoses for cracks and leaks.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 04:39 AM   #11
Blue_ST170

Ive had my ST170 for 3 years and never had a coolant problem.

The big one I had is that the exractors hit on something and it pushed back the cat a bit which snapped off both co2 sensors. It took ford 3 months to work out why the car was running so bad :. Anyway hi tech but in new extractors and a hi flow cat and its running great....more power an nice noise. (ford wanted $4800 for the cat alone ).

Anyway has anyone else had a similar problem cause im trying to get ford to pay for the repairs???

Saving for: cat-back exhaust
Blue_ST170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 08:25 AM   #12
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Did Hi Tech have much trouble fitting a hi flow cat? I've enquired for my LR Zetec.They are good at exhausts, but really bad at replying to emails!!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #13
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosambrose
Hey Mikey B, sorry to hear about your problems, but im delighted that a member has bought one on these forums.

Im real keen on purchasing one, so id like you to keep up updated on how she runs and any problems etc.

Is it 2003 or 2004 build?

Mine is up for sale ,If you can't find one Local ,im at the gold coast
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #14
Stampy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey B
The ST's a 2003 build...would have preferred a 2004, but hey, at $20k, didn't mind so much! Once the coolant weep is fixed, the latest engine cal flashed, front bumper painted, it'll be a good car! I know the ST170 isnt' a point and squirt motor, but I have to say, the handling capabilities give greater confidence than my BA XR6.

Can anyone recco a good painter in the Brisbane area? I wont get the bumper sorted until I've driven up in a few weeks time just incase i come in contact with some Australian wildlife!

Pitty you couldn't wait till you got here ,you could of had mine with 30,000 klm on it ...
Q..how many KLM's has the one you got done

and when you get to the GC there will be 3 ST's here ,im on the north end of the GC and i always see another driving around ,

If you want a set of crome 18" 's im also selling
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post