Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Dan Brown Books

hey all,

After all this hype of the realease of the Da Vinci code, I'm very interested in read Dan Brown's books.

Considering I havent read any of them which one should i read first, any suggestions??

xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Umm try the Da Vinci Code first, then Angels and Demons, then Deception Point and finally Digital Fortress.

Well thats what I reckon.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #3
rodderz

I got hooked into The Da Vinci Code and finished it in a couple of nights, now onto the others now. Gotta say it gets you very interested in the subject coming from someone who didnt care less about it beforehand
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
parawolf
beep beep

Da Vinci code is a 'quick' book to read, same with most of the rest of his books. They don't take a lot to read as Dan Brown paints the exact picture for you, rather than let you paint it for yourself.

Read Da Vinci Code first for the hype and to get you into the style. However Angels and Demons is a far better read in my opinion. Digital Fortress was a little - lacking - for me anyway. After Digital Fortress, which was an attempt at a Tom Clancy style - and didn't quite work, i didn't read Deception Point. But I might pick it up one day.
Old 21-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #5
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Am reading 'The Da Vinci Code',started yesterday...find it hard to put down...should have it finished by Tues at latest.

From what I've been reading and hearing of the movie reviews the movie leaves a lot to be desired.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 10:55 PM   #6
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah,, ive read the davinci code & angels and deamons. Loved them both to bits, plan on starting on the others soon. Saw the movie today, i liked it, just not as good as the book i think.
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 11:40 PM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dan is currently writing a sequel to The Da Vinci Code, based on the Masons.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 12:15 AM   #8
chief
FTF Club Moderator

If you want to know where Dan Brown got his knowledge from read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" It was printed in 1989. Also a good read on the subject is "Woman with the Alabaster Jar".

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 01:21 AM   #9
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
If you want to know where Dan Brown got his knowledge from read "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" It was printed in 1989. Also a good read on the subject is "Woman with the Alabaster Jar".
Yes, got that on ebay a few weeks ago but havent read it as yet, Dan Brown used this book as his main inspiration for the Davinci Code

The topic of it is only an alternative way at looking at things but it does seem to have a believable storyline to it, that I can imagine to have happened imo anyway
Old 22-05-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
billyb35

Save yourself the misery.

The book is to religion/history as Star Wars is to space travel. Read it with that in mind and it has no substance. Somewhat engaging action/adventure book but if you want to hold credibility in an argument with anyone with an IQ of double digits who isn't interested in popularist , then read something else.

I am all for deconstructing and being critical of established ideas and especially religous paradigms but the Da Vinci Code is certainly not the first nor last word on this matter.
billyb35 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

sick of hearing about this
Old 22-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #12
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Read them all like 2-2 and a half years ago. Good books. Angels and demons was probably the best followed by The da vince code.

Might have to read the da vince code again sometime. Or i could just cheat and watch the movie. Thats what theyre for right? who didnt do that in high school :P
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 01:10 PM   #13
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Read them all, Da Vinci Code was my least-fav of them all..

Angels and demons was good, Deception point was pretty good, Digital Fortress was ok (not great but still better than Da vinci code)..
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
CobraLeMans
Horsepower Addict

I rate all 4 books pretty high, the pace and attention to detail is what makes them work for me. Like most readers, if the book just dosent grab you early on, you probably wont finish it.
Out of the 4, I place Deception Point at the top of list hands down, followed closely by Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons and finally Digital Fortress which was a bit of a struggle to get through at times.
CobraLeMans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 12:11 PM   #15
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb35

The book is to religion/history as Star Wars is to space travel. Read it with that in mind and it has no substance. Somewhat engaging action/adventure book but if you want to hold credibility in an argument with anyone with an IQ of double digits who isn't interested in popularist , then read something else.

I am all for deconstructing and being critical of established ideas and especially religous paradigms but the Da Vinci Code is certainly not the first nor last word on this matter.

Well no-one is saying that it is a factual book, its simply a fiction novel based on what *could* have happened.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #16
efgoofy
No Speed Limits on Fwys

I saw the da vinci code on sunday, suffice to say in my opinion the reviews you are reading do not do it justice, it is actaully quite a good movie from a fiction point of view. SO go see it and see what you think, after all its only your opinion that counts.
  • Custom Twin Tip
  • EL GT Snorkel, K&N Flat Panel Filter
  • Kenwood CD
  • 6*9 Kenwood rears

I like work, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

:
efgoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #17
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Read Angels and Demons first, it is the "prequal" to The Da Vinci Code after all.

It was a better read than the Da Vinci Code anyway.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #18
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb35

At the very least it has got ppl thinking and talking about it.

I have had an interest in 'The Knights Templar' and the 'Masons' ,'The Craft' and Religion in general for quite some time...and Dan Brown is closer to the truth than most ppl realise.

In 'The da Vinci Code'he wrote that Emporer Constantine in collusion with the then Christians of Rome changed the original Bible to suit their needs..this is TRUE.

The Bible you read today and espousings of the Church are nothing like the original...'scriptures'.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6

Last edited by MO; 23-05-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 23-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #19
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Of course - the Romans used religion as a tool to conquer people and places they couldn't with military might, like the Celts - which is why christianity is riddled with altered pagan rituals...
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #20
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
Of course - the Romans used religion as a tool to conquer people and places they couldn't with military might, like the Celts - which is why christianity is riddled with altered pagan rituals...

And who were the pagans????

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 23-05-2006, 11:28 PM   #21
kinksta
Luxojet

the da vinci novel and movie were both just fantastic. i really enjoyed them both. when i 1st heard tom hanks was to play langdon, i thought, perfect!! haha.... people who have read the book though will understand the movie sommewhat better, because i believe the book explains more. but with the movie at 2 hours plus, theres not much you can do. but i thoroughly enjoyed!!! but when you go to see, make sure you are openminded and not one eyed....
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 11:32 PM   #22
rodderz

After reading such a book it is hard not to look up more on the subject, and it is interesting to note how many words, symbols, sayings etc originated from the early centuries.
Old 23-05-2006, 11:56 PM   #23
kinksta
Luxojet

ya dead right there rodderz
Old 24-05-2006, 09:45 PM   #24
fordy-two
Starter Motor

Don't waste your time reading Dan (the apprentice) Brown, get yourself some mid-career Robert (the Master) Ludlum instead . There's one that even touches on similar themes but I can't remember which (The Matarese Circle ?). Off theme, Ludlums' Bourne series are good page turners, if you can clear your mind of the memory of the sub-standard movies. Dan's alright, if there's nothing else about. Umberto Eco had a good one involving the Knights Templar and Focaults Pendulum, but unless you have a fantastic English and Latin dictionary it's a hard slog getting through. Anyway, didn't think ford drivers read books... :
fordy-two is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 10:24 PM   #25
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes some of us can read and analyse books....however I must admit there are probably those that would start a fire with the Dead Sea Scrolls.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 25-05-2006, 06:04 PM   #26
kinksta
Luxojet

word on the wind is that angels and demons is set to be a movie, hope ol' tommy hanks takes it, cos he was great as robby langdon. this will be just as big if not bigger than the da vinci code!!! anyone??
Old 25-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #27
CobraLeMans
Horsepower Addict

Not sure if A&D would be a better movie than the DaVinci Code. IMHO Deception Point would be a much better proposition.
CobraLeMans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 11:01 PM   #28
eminvil_12

imho you should take a pillow into the da vinci code movie if you have little knowledge of religion as you can easily fall asleep.
eminvil_12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post