Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Do you agree woth the new P-Plater Laws
Yes 28 28.57%
No - I disagree with both laws 24 24.49%
I agree with the Curfew only 4 4.08%
I agree with the passenger limit 6 6.12%
Just another limit for P-Platers without looking at the real problem 36 36.73%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-05-2006, 07:46 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default New WA P-Plater Laws

New reports released this morning states that new legislation will be introduced into Western Australia for P-Platers which will enforce a curfew between midnight and 5am and also only allow them to carry one passenger under 20 for the first 6 months.

Do you agree with this?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Latest update on this is the following:

• P-Platers will be allowed to apply for an exemption for night driving if for example they have a night job
  • P-Platers will not be allowed more then one person in a vehicle at any time, unless the other people have more then 4 years driving experience. This is to allow a P-Plater to gain road driving skills for the frist 6 months of driving without being distracted.
  • WA is trying to push for 120 hours or drving on L's before going to a Prvisional Licence. Currently they only require 25 hours.
  • The bans will come into effect as of Jan 1, 2008
I personally think that a night ban between 12am to 5am is pointless. Crash statistics anyone?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching

Last edited by Kia Chaser; 15-05-2006 at 08:34 AM.
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #3
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here in NZ drivers with restricted licenses are not allowed on the road between 10pm and 7am and no passengers unless the front seat passenger is over 25 and holds a full license. The rules don't really worry me because even though I am on a restricted licence I never, ever get pulled over (although if I do I'm looking at a $400 fine). I'm sure it would be a pain in the butt in Australia where I have heard the police are a lot more diligent.

I have been eligible for my full license for years now but just haven't bothered to pay the $130 and sit through a 45 minute driving test when there is no point.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Theres a thread on this already but anyhoo.
You forgot.
BAL of zero
Lose 4 points in the 1st year and lose your license
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Heh.. all these limits and stuff are getting rediculous.

What's next, not allowed outside after dark? Can't cross the road without someone holding your hand? No Tv shows, movies, or games with higher than G rating?
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #6
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
BAL of zero
Lose 4 points in the 1st year and lose your license
I imagine there are forms of these restrictions already in place? Similar in SA. Definately 0 BAC and i think you only get 4 points to begin with...

Acknowledge trying to address the problem but this just goes too far in "ruining it for the good ones" IMO.
Old 15-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As this is only for the first six months I don't have a problem with it. The 12 to 5 restriction, is it only to get from home to work? I would hope so. 6 months isn't very long and if implimented here I would think just a fine with no points lost.
Old 15-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lot of new ideas here, I had only 4 points on my P licence..... in 1976.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

I don't agree with the loose 4 points part. You can loose 4 points for sneezing at easter or christmas. Most of the rest has some merit though. i say i'm 60/40.

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
AUII XLS V8 Stroker - sold
99' Laser (runabout) - sold
BA Fairmont - sold
AU III XR8 220 - sold (so should have kept this one)
AU III XLS Tickford 6 - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
AUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #10
I6corp
Was V6corp

I totally dissagree with the 12pm-5am law, thats absolute bull.

What about all the 18-21 yr olds that go out, and their mates that are the driver for the night?
Im sure most of them are on their P's!

:( Not happy
Planned Engine Mods: ; Extractors; Tickford CAI; Twin Mufflers; Shift Kit; Hi-Stall; Cam; ECU Flash
Bling Mods: Tinted Windows; JVC CD/DVD HU
Planned Bling Mods: TS50 Front; High Series bonnet; Rebel Skirts and Rear Bar; SL Springs; Clear Side Indicators; Rear Spolier; Mags
I6corp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
bessxg
Bundy on

I think that it's ridiculous that they rejected the 120 hours and 3 year provisional period, and opted for sitting in the car next to you holding your hand. Its alot harder to forge 120 hours - more people would get caught out, and the 3 year period is an extra year of having drivers that blow under 0.02.

I think 4 demerits is resonable, if people can understand consequences. Whats the reaction time difference of zero BAL to 0.02? If youre drunk youre drunk.

But with the curfew and passenger rules? I'd be inclined to rip down the P-plates, probably would get pulled over half as much anyway.

I'm glad this doesn't affect me, because I'd rather stay on my L's, I'd get more freedom that way.
bessxg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #12
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6corp

What about all the 18-21 yr olds that go out, and their mates that are the driver for the night?

You missed the part when it said only the first 6 months. In NSW most kids would still be under 18 anyway. Inconvenience would be next to nil. They weren't driving after 12 before they got their P's anyhoo. Not alone anyway. Zero alchohol been in NSW for 12 months now. Again for the most part red P platers under 18.
Old 15-05-2006, 09:22 PM   #13
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I think the curfew and passenger limitation laws are crap, but the others seem like good common sense.

Does WA have a power limitation law? I think one similar to Victoria's would be a good idea (but NOT NSW's!!!)
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 09:51 PM   #14
IdentityCrisis
EF-BA front bar ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6corp

yeah power 2 the dd
IdentityCrisis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 12:01 AM   #15
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Phew, you had me stressing, im looking at a Job in WA and thought they might have brought in power to weight ratio or something, i don't really mind about these regulations is the Curfew untill your off your P's or also onlyy for the 1st 6 months?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 12:10 AM   #16
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not more insentive's instead of punishments?

Whilst, it may help contain 'hoon' problems, it's bloody unfair on safe drivers.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 05:25 PM   #17
coonpanelvan
Starter Motor

all they will find is that no 1 will put up p plates, and u will find alot more p plate DD because these rules screw up the idea of a designated driver
coonpanelvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What time in the morning did that 19yo kid loose control of his car and plough it through the front of the house? how many passengers were in the car? and how old were they?

Old 16-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #19
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

AU3 chaser - Latest update on this is the following:
[*]WA is trying to push for 120 hours or drving on L's before going to a Prvisional Licence. Currently they only require 25 hours.

The 120 hour suggestion will harmonise with most states and will aid in the implementation of an eventual national driver training scheme. I see no problem with this.

NSW will NOT use a curfew. WA folk not supporting the curfew would do well to nag their local MP's and the opposition 'right now'. Unless you stand up to this, you'll be trodden on for your apathy.

As in NSW, it is ALWAYS a very, very small minority of P platers who cause trouble AND come to grief, that figure will be far less than 1% of those licensed at any one time.

YES, naturally the young are over represented in crashes when compared to other age groups, this will not change - ever.

Mike Gaynor - What applies in NZ has no on road reality here in AUS whatsoever. AUS need not look to New Zealand for ideas on road safety, we do not now - and will not in the future.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #20
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

I did alot of driving after 12 when i was a learner, my mother insisted on using mainroads and freeways when they werent so busy.

So far, most incidents, near misses or plain stupidity that i have witnessed or be a party to has not occured after midnight, it tends to occur during the day.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 03:53 PM   #21
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
So far, most incidents, near misses or plain stupidity that i have witnessed or be a party to has not occured after midnight, it tends to occur during the day.
yeah most are between 3:30 and 5:30 when all the CRV's are out and the old rusty VC wagons are at centrelink picking up their DOLE payments.
didnt they say these laws wont start until 2008? most of ya's will be off your P's by then, but as usual they are just putting another patch on the law to save maybe 2 lives instead of a mandatory defensive driver course which will surely save alot more... just IMO

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #22
max
LWBforME

I agree a defensive driving course never goes astray!
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 02:12 AM   #23
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

And its not like it will stupidly expensive if you have everyone required to do it.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #24
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once again WA feels it must fall into line with the rest of the country. I wish WA Government would grow some balls and not just find a nice comfy seat to sit in with all the rest of the blokes.

AFAIK We have the lowest number of P-plate incidents per person than any other state. We read no articles on our papers about P plate "hoons" or "dangers on the roads" yet for some reason our Government thinks it needs to conform.

s me off...
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2006, 08:05 PM   #25
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Geez i'm glad I got my licence just before the country started to stuff around with p plater laws.

First it changed the testing process and now they're bringing out all these new rules.

If a p plater really wants to drive at night they're still going to do it.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #26
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the answer is not limitation on what p platers can and cant do the answer is more education into driving like driving schools. For god sake how is limiting a driver to only drive during the day going to make him a better driver. Its just another excuse for the government to get more money with fine for just driving at night.

Thanx god i got my p's before the goverenment started to feck around with everything, yeh i find it absurb that they rejected the 120 hour 3 year p plater thing and do this instead, this just shows they aint really looking to improve young drivers abilities they would pefer to just put a collar on us and get even more money from us.

WHat they should do is put a permanant ban on old people driving god they drive me nuts, they cause more accidents than us young ones do.

and so on...
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post