Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-05-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
Dodge
i like to be stroked

Default what would happen IF

what would happen If we the tax payers decided not to pay any more personal tax, Thats right, we all stand up to the gov and tell them to either downsize the amount of pollos earning very good incomes or hand back the billions of $$$$ in their piggy bank.
I saw a man refuse to pay his council rates years ago, they couldnt do anything about it apart from stoping him from selling his home.

I thinks its time we all stood up to the money hungry government

Old 03-05-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
what would happen If we the tax payers decided not to pay any more personal tax, Thats right, we all stand up to the gov and tell them to either downsize the amount of pollos earning very good incomes or hand back the billions of $$$$ in their piggy bank.
I saw a man refuse to pay his council rates years ago, they couldnt do anything about it apart from stoping him from selling his home.

back home an old lady told the council to mow their own lawn (section outside your fence boundary) and they had to cause she got alot of people on her side cause they increased the council rates - $20-50 million in debt for the cyclone larry town of ifail...LOL

ahh sorry but this is similar to your plan so u gonna need more than just lets stop paying tax in your arguement
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
what would happen If we the tax payers decided not to pay any more personal tax.... I thinks its time we all stood up to the money hungry government
Well to start with you could kiss goodbye free healthcare social security and public education (where a large proportion of the government budget goes).

Put it this way, would you rather pay tax, or would you rather pay a massive premium for private health care each year US style.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The national economy would grind to a halt and interest rates would soar.
I believe we don't pay the polititians enough, thats right, think about it:
They work rediculous hours, get harrassed 24/7 and rarely does anyone ever agree or thank them.
My theory is if the salaries were more attractive then better credentialed people would do the job.
How many industry leaders out there who would have significantly "better" political or management qualities would give up millions of dollars a year in private enterprise for the ****y $60-150K a year pollies get paid.... NONE.

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Old 03-05-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
They work rediculous hours, get harrassed 24/7 and rarely does anyone ever agree or thank them.
My theory is if the salaries were more attractive then better credentialed people would do the job.
How many industry leaders out there who would have significantly "better" political or management qualities would give up millions of dollars a year in private enterprise for the ****y $60-150K a year pollies get paid.... NONE.

ah crap.. I hate it when I have to agree with you. _2:

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 04:47 PM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:

you are pretty uniformed..

for the job that pollies do, they arnt earning much at all. i believe that Johnny Howard earns under $300 000 per year. which for what he does, is eff all. it is the perks that they get. free travel etc :

but we need to pay tax. as much as i hate it.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I think tax is unavoidable but instead of this litany of taxes, excises, tariffs and other forms of taxation (yes income tax, fuel excise, alcohol and cigarette excise included), get rid of all forms of taxation and replace them with one flat rate of tax, a la GST say 15% for arguments sake. The revenue base would increase quite a bit from what it is now and it would be much fairer as the rich mongrels with the money to pay the accountants would pay their share as well.

Let the flaming begin!
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Flat rate of tax doesn't work and it would just be double/triple/quadruple dipped as bad if not more than it is now. There is no 'fair' ideal for tax. There is always a line, points where someone pays more tax than they 'should' or not enough.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 05:01 PM   #9
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Well technically federal income tax does not have to paid. Yep thats right, you can pay a state tax if one existed instead.

Its all in the constiution, income tax is supposed to be collected by the states, but in order to pay for WW2, the states agreed to hand over the taxes to the feds. There was never a refernedum of this, just a mish mash of consitutional decrees and high court rulings.

The upshot is that if the states refused to take any grants from the government, they could levy their own state taxes over federal taxes and could pay a state income tax. The chances of this happening are about nil though.

But if you had endless cash and about 5 QC's you could try and work your way through a mish mash of laws and pay a non-exitant state income tax instead of federal tax.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 05:06 PM   #10
max
LWBforME

Quote:

I'm not sure I would give 100% creedence to business background as a prerequisite to being a good political leader. There's been quite a few dodgy CEO's lately and remember a recent high-profile CFC football club president who had high political aspirations but who's business dealings ultimately highlighted his unsuitability for public office? I guess such a person wouldn't sneeze at a few years on the upper $100K's plus benefits while recovering from the ruins of a failed business enterprise.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #11
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Yeah lets stop paying tax! Public Education would be no more, and we all know private education is not cheap.
Kiss decent Bitumen roads goodbye too!! Pothole Heaven!!
You reckon our health system is up the now, wait til we pull our tax dollars, then watch it slide!
I could be wrong, some of the above could be state funded? I dunno!
Old 03-05-2006, 05:09 PM   #12
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

With proper measures in place, the multiple dipping can be avoided, Fairmont99. Thats assuming the government has a conscience and actually gives two hoots about the public to care about double dipping.

If the public will is strong enough, the government would have no choice but to put in place the flat tax and required protections against multi dips and randon increase of the tax rate.

A flat tax rate would also be a good barometer of the health of the economy; as people and businesses spend money, the tax receipts would be indicative of the amount of fiat currency circulation in the country and thus the willingness of people to spend money.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
I'm not sure I would give 100% creedence to business background as a prerequisite to being a good political leader. There's been quite a few dodgy CEO's lately and remember a recent high-profile CFC football club president who had high political aspirations but who's business dealings ultimately highlighted his unsuitability for public office? I guess such a person wouldn't sneeze at a few years on the upper $100K's plus benefits while recovering from the ruins of a failed business enterprise.
There's bad eggs everywhere, that doesnt mean that there aren't decent people who are good leaders of private enterprise.
Tax in inevitable, we want more so it cost more, where does everyone think this money goes? they don't all sit in a big room counting it and keeping it for themselves.
Better roads, better health system, hospitals, community services, schools etc etc all cost money.
If you want a better "something" its going to mean something else gets less spent on it or you'll have to pay more tax's to fund it, fiscal politics isnt that hard to understand, the more demanding we get about Govt funded services the more tax we ultimately pay.
The only problem comes when some Governments borrow money to fund spending that can't be sustained or funded by current Tax's or budgetry surplus... that's when interest rates climb and the country's debt blows out.

Old 03-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #14
Dodge
i like to be stroked

all good points but could we cut the amount of people that try to run our country by 20%
show me a road thats in good condition please? all we get now is tunnel links with a toll charge.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #15
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Well imagine what those roads would be like with no cash!
Old 03-05-2006, 06:00 PM   #16
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
all good points but could we cut the amount of people that try to run our country by 20%
show me a road thats in good condition please? all we get now is tunnel links with a toll charge.

Drive over the border, say Albury to Wagga Wagga, you can clearly see that % does go back into our roads.

Maybe Bob Jane should work on the same principal and fix that return road at clader!
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 10:00 PM   #17
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You have the power......its called a vote!!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 12:06 AM   #18
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Even though I suggested the broad based flat tax, we, unfortunately live in a country with a two party political system. As such, there is no real alternative between monkey Howard and Bomber Beasley. As such, reforms of this magnitude for the benefit of the general populace instead of big business would be almost impossible to implement. Plus, whoever is in power still bows down to the mighty Reserve Bank of Australia, which controls the other tax: INFLATION.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:43 AM   #19
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

I'd be happy just to not have to pay LCT & all forms of stamp duty. As far as I'm concerned, those two things are nothing more than constitutionalised robbery.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:25 PM   #20
EF, What else?
A Bloke

Quote:

Have to agree, when we have sporting stars earning more then our Prime Minister, you have to ask a few questions about the system. What annoys me is when they compensate with luxury trips overseas and the like.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #21
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

chaos and Anarchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 01:52 PM   #22
max
LWBforME

Quote:

I thought in some instances local government could order the sale of property to exact the outstanding debt.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 02:14 PM   #23
gtfpv
GT

pollies get more time off more rorts more super and are accountable for barely nothing they do or do not. so they dont earn $1,000,000 pa . if they can get more outside working somewhere else then off and leave. thats what my company would say to me. but i wouldnt get a pension for liufe that pays as much as my salary , whilst i get another job elsewhere now would i.
i still think it is a very hard demanding job . and thankless at that . but it is what hey are paid very well to do . many of you are working way more hours for a lot less and will go to jail or be sued for mistakes . not promoted into another position.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 02:16 PM   #24
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Cuurently, if a person doesn't have any fines and such from the local, state or federal government, they cannot force you to sell or confiscate your house. HOWEVER, if you for example have a load of speeding fines and you don't pay, they send the clowns from the Sheriff's office (here in Vic) and they start taking goods from your house up to the value of the fines (that they can verify belong to you). They can never take your primary house. I think the boffins in Canberra and Spring St (Victorian parliament) want to change that so that the corporates can have no limit to reclaim goods or houses when debts and fines are defaulted on.