Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2024, 10:22 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Are we getting screwed by Brexit?

It seems to me that increasingly Australia is just becoming a dumping ground, getting the crap nobody else wants.
Desirable mainstream models have a 6 month waiting list, yet at the same time dealers are drowning in stock.

Recently my missus bought a small "city SUV." We were very interested in the Mitsubishi ASX, but nobody had any stock or any idea when it might arrive. Most sales people weren't even interested in talking. Daughter is interested in an Outlander PHEV, but same deal. Dealer didn't even have a demo.
Yet at the same time, they have taken over a nearby paddock to store their surplus stock. Hundreds of SUVs, but all the models nobody seems to want.

Despite winning numerous awards here, Ford never seemed to have any Pumas in stock, and I understand have now abandoned them altogether. (Except possibly the Electric Model)

We managed to snag a demo Juke, before Nissan ran out of stock of those.

For cars not coming out of East Asia, it seems that what we get here are models shared with the UK. The Juke was actually made in the UK, and others have been coming from Spain, Turkey, and various parts of Europe.

So I'm wondering what the effect of Brexit is on such cars??
With Britain now outside the EU, I would guess that many of the manufacturers that moved production to Britain in recent decades, are now trying to transition to a country still in the EU??
At the same time, if Britain is reciprocating (??) with increased tariffs, and/or lowering tariffs on other nations, are we going to see those EU manufacturers stop production of RHD variants??

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 06-09-2024 at 10:39 PM.
Crazy Dazz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2024, 12:04 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Are we getting screwed by Brexit?

In order to meet the EU/UK 20% EV sales mix requirement, ICE sales that exceed that amount will be
penalised at roughly 15,000 pounds per vehicle. So it’s not in their interest to sell excess vehicles there.
That brings up two choices, 1) trim production to meet the sales target or, 2) increase ROW export sales.

It will be interesting to see how this resolves. I would prefer that we get a Ford C2 production line
in Thailand to be rid of EU influences on our vehicle availability.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-09-2024, 09:27 PM   #3
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good last question there. There's also merit to the dumping ground claim, auto dumping is going on globally at present.

What do we get from the UK?

Qashqai
Juke
F-Pace
The last XFs and XEs
Velar
RRS
RR
(Disco and Defender now Czech or Slovak I think?)
Evoque
Petrol Mini & some of its variants

Edit: Astons and Rolls etc, Caterhams, Lotus, Bentley etc I'm sure a few Aussies buy them

anything else, any vans?

Some of those are unique or iconic brands, or have unique aluminium architecture, they may retain UK RHD production and have other variants built in the EU - and being UK brands they should retain the RHD, think Defender as it's selling strongly in both home and overseas markets and earning JLR big bucks

The Nissans, dunno, it will depend if they keep their Sunderland plant open

Mini, electric Mini production for here has moved to China so who knows what the German owners would do.

MG - well haha we all know what happened there...

Last edited by Sprintey; 07-09-2024 at 09:45 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM   #4
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
The Nissans, dunno, it will depend if they keep their Sunderland plant open
Nissan's complex is apparently the biggest in the UK. Time will tell.

Honda shut down their plant.

Vauxhaul(Stellantis) stopped making the Astra in the UK, and now only makes vans.

Toyota is still building Corollas for the UK & Europe there, which may change, but won't effect our Thai-Specials.