Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 14-08-2024, 05:42 PM   #1
plaidsaar
Starter Motor

Default Restoration 1976 Fairmont XC

Hi, I have a 1976 Fairmont coupe factory 302 that is in need of restoration.
It is a rolling chassis with the panels behind rear wheels and into the rear end rusted out. Plus, numerous other areas that need attention.
Would really appreciate if anyone can recommend any panel beaters or restoration shops that do a good job and would be willing to undertake such a project.
Doner car for running gear etc. is an unmolested 1978 Fairmont GXL factory 302.
Would like to get the body done and have all of the parts from the GXL refurbished and fitted to the coupe.
I live in central QLD and realise the car would need to be transported possibly interstate to get the job done.
Thanks
plaidsaar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2024, 08:16 PM   #2
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Re: Restoration 1976 Fairmont XC

Have you got a budget in mind ? The front right hand guard can be used as a repair section over the left rear guard and vice versa. The panel under the rear windscreen are always buggered. What I thought it would cost to restore my coupe ended being well over double but at least you have a donor car............
Old 15-08-2024, 02:10 PM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I wouldn't be sending it inter state.
I'd be wanting to keep an eye on it and check updates of work.
2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #4
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidsaar View Post
Hi, I have a 1976 Fairmont coupe factory 302 that is in need of restoration.
It is a rolling chassis with the panels behind rear wheels and into the rear end rusted out. Plus, numerous other areas that need attention.
Would really appreciate if anyone can recommend any panel beaters or restoration shops that do a good job and would be willing to undertake such a project.
Doner car for running gear etc. is an unmolested 1978 Fairmont GXL factory 302.
Would like to get the body done and have all of the parts from the GXL refurbished and fitted to the coupe.
I live in central QLD and realise the car would need to be transported possibly interstate to get the job done.
Thanks
Have you considered doing it yourself, learning to do the repairs as you go along? By far this would be the best way as it would then be done to your satisfaction. There are several here who have or are doing their restorations themselves, there is no better feeling of satisfaction during and at the end after doing it yourself. Having others do the work for you, at cost too, you are not in control of the work being done, and the costs would be substantial for the amount of work that is needed for these cars.

Perhaps there is someone near you who may be able to help you with advice on techniques and equipment to get, also show you how when required. I dont think local TAFE's have night classes anymore for that sort of thing, I attended Batman automotive college hereduring the 1980's for over a year learning the craft for my then resto which was invaluable, I even took panels and parts there to work on with experienced craftsmen to help, but that place doesnt exist anymore.

Have a look at a couple of threads in the project section (see links below) to get a feel for whats required and hopefully get some inspiration. Doing it yourself you remain in charge of your project, thus avoiding the disappointments and stress when let down by those who you were recommended to and therefore trusted. However you do need self discipline to keep the project moving as otherwise obviously it sits there waiting for you. To me its the only way, which became evident even before attending those classes.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11434889

https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11410412
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post