Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old Today, 12:31 PM   #1801
nearlythere
END WOKENESS

Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Thought I'd also share something I've learnt.Life doesn't really get any better the older you get I've just found you get stronger as you get older to deal with things you once found absolutely the worst thing ever!I've also found that life is like a battery you cannot have a positive without a negative or a negative without a positive or it just won't work, It all balances out. If life was 100 positive then it would be rather pointless wouldn't it. You'd never learn. never change and never grow to become a better version of yourself. Anyway, Some might agree with what I've said and some might not and that's ok.
nearlythere is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 07:08 PM   #1802
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlythere View Post
By the way opening up in front of other males is ALOT better than you think because we relate, So what I also suggest is to talk to other men in a similar situation as they will often give the best support. If GPs, therapists, shrinks and pills are helping you cope then that's great but alot of what your told and given band aid solutions to the underlying problems you are probably not even aware of. Alot reamin dormant and will arise again until you learn the best ways to cope that works for you as we are all different.Everything I've written is from my own experience and we all react differently to different types of assistance but that's mine and if it helps even one person then that's something. To anyone struggling just remember you matter! You're loved and that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.God bless

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearlythere
I get what you're saying but if you look around you'll see things aint what they used to be..
Chris Rock once said " Only women children and dogs are loved unconditionally.As a man in 2024 you are to sit down shut up and only be useful when required. We cannot cry or speak up without being seen as weak if we keep it up.Society now revolves around women, the LGBTQ community, gender equality, trans ect.Statistics on suicide regarding men is through the roof. 9 people a day in Australia take their own lives and 75% of those are men.I am 45 with a wife and 5 children and I have attempted to take my own life 3 times in the last 5 years. My kids are what give me the most strength.The things I've done and tried to pull myself out is exhausting but I'm still here.I have been to 3 GPs, therapists, shrinks and I got locked away in the mental ward for a while when I tried again to take my own life.NONE of these helped atleast not in the long run. It's all BS and you need to work it out yourself. Yes my family has been there for me but there is only so much others can do for you, you MUST help yourself and understand the world has changed and that basically no one is your court as much you think or like. After 30 years this is what I've learnt. I now sit back, keep 95% to myself and simply march forward. By finally figuring out that it's pretty much on me I'm coping better.Unless you've been where I and many other males have been then you or anyone else simply have no idea.
I'm so sorry to have raised these issues, it's such a touchy subject and genuinely hope you are in a better place to talk about it now.

No one wants to talk about these topics, but when the grim event happens, there seems to be a stigma around an apparent "easy way out". I watched this happen in real time as news spread about a family's co-worker taking his own life and leaving two young children behind. Terms like "selfish" and "easy way out" really help no one in this situation, and all I could think of was how lost that young man would have felt, not at the apparent selfishness of his actions.

And agree with you about males being stigmatized. In no way do I condone certain negative male-dominated behaviors, but its to the point now where being male is almost a "guilty till proven innocent" deal. And you see this permeating the entire of society. Perhaps the "warriors" out there advocating for female rights should have a little think about the adverse effect it can have on the male population that ISNT a rapist, an aggressive pig or objectifier. Probably said too much.

I also agree that everyone needs to find their own coping mechanisms. In my case, the path I took started with a GP who I trusted and was comfortable approaching, which in turn led to seeing a therapist who I also trust. Has this solved all of my problems? Not at all, I will always need "mental health maintenance". Before though, I was otherwise just coping in silence. Now, I have avenues to let it out, sometimes it takes me a little deeper, sometimes it affirms the progress I have made.

As I said at the start, I hope I haven't dragged something up that has hit a nerve, I would never intend to do that. Be well.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post