Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #91
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ANCAP – It wasn’t us who stuffed up Lane Keep Assist (LKA) and Emergency Lane Keeping (ELK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
All this shit causes dramas on regional roads with no or sketchy markings, we were playing with the self driving features of mates Volvo when we went to collect my ACCO.

It steered the car into the middle of the road onto an approach to a corner.

I'm not convinced with these 'features', **** modern cars and their 'self driving', if they're so confident in these systems, then why do we still have steering wheels and pedals? Why cant I sit in the driver seat, face the back and sink ****?

They can't even get AI powered cars to race around a closed circuit in the same direction properly, let alone normal cars drive themselves out in the streets.

I don’t get the point of the lane keep self steer feature.
Once you take your hands off the wheel they throw a fit and a whole lot of warnings telling you to take the wheel.
But hey, I’m sure it’s an ego thing.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM   #92
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: ANCAP – It wasn’t us who stuffed up Lane Keep Assist (LKA) and Emergency Lane Keeping (ELK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
I don’t get the point of the lane keep self steer feature.
Once you take your hands off the wheel they throw a fit and a whole lot of warnings telling you to take the wheel.
But hey, I’m sure it’s an ego thing.
Can't even make a phone call on Telstra's network 5km out of suburban Melbourne but people think cars are going to drive themselves tomorrow

Classic case of the propeller hats over in engineering being divorced from the real world, would like to see these 'safety' functions vs Kangaroo.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM   #93
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That F1 racing is classic, so random! I look forward to the Woolies trucks that deliver everyone's food behaving in a similar manner.

Go to about 8 minutes in, have a look at the footage, it's high farce! As one comment said:

"Dude that shot of the heavy metal music and the F1 robot doing 35KPH / cut to the competitors sitting still "

At start of this vid something rural road drivers might be familiar with, encountering a body of water, autonomous mode does not slow down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL-Xvu3G_48

Then there's stuff like encountering black ice on twisty Tassie or Vic roads...

Last edited by Sprintey; Yesterday at 11:52 AM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM   #94
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Out of all the cars ive driven the Fords have some of the better systems.

I however turn them off and have even had the cars modified with Forscan so they don't turn back on after a restart.

I have been in situations where these safety measures could have caused an accident if I wasn't on the ball, typically around bike riders or pedestrians (most vulnerable).
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM   #95
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post

I however turn them off and have even had the cars modified with Forscan so they don't turn back on after a restart.

I have been in situations where these safety measures could have caused an accident if I wasn't on the ball, typically around bike riders or pedestrians (most vulnerable).
I find Ford is down pat with cruise control and the like, they seem to put a lot of effort into getting those things right. As far as it goes, they've got throttle response, how the car responds to all your inputs and how things steer and stop down pat, Ford Europe made absolutely amazing cars.

Hyundai on the other hand, set it to 100, 92 up a hill, 115 down the hill, sometimes it will respond to throttle inputs immediately, other times it wont.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #96
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I find Ford is down pat with cruise control and the like, they seem to put a lot of effort into getting those things right. As far as it goes, they've got throttle response, how the car responds to all your inputs and how things steer and stop down pat, Ford Europe made absolutely amazing cars.Hyundai on the other hand, set it to 100, 92 up a hill, 115 down the hill, sometimes it will respond to throttle inputs immediately, other times it wont.
Ford adaptive cruise is the best on the market in my opinion. Even in my 2017 PX2 Wildtrak it was a good thing!

My main gripe is the lane centering bs and now the adaptive steering that steers itself / wants to fight you. Ive always sat to the left of the road my whole life and it hates it, wants you to be in the centre of the lane, which is fine on a multi lane highway but not so good on 2 lane goat track in the bush.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM   #97
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's scary is that this technology is the basis for so-called autonomous vehicles.
I mean if the lane-keeping can't actually keep the car centred in the lane at ALL times without human input, then how on earth could it be used for autonomous driving.
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM   #98
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My biggest issue with technology in vehicles is when people starting see an aid as a substitute for good practice.
Blind spot monitoring is handy, but I still demand people use their mirrors properly and execute a head check before changing lane. Knowing human nature, I suspect many people now depend solely on the orange/red light appearing on their mirror, and this becomes habit.
Should they get into a vehicle without these aids, they may not see the light, assume all is well and cut across and cause an accident. On a freeway at 100km/h, this is terrifying.

The attitude of, 'the car will do it all for me' is IMO dangerous. If people *need* these aids, then they aren't fit for the road.

I have my crappy BFII. Love it. Simple. It's on me. It has two airbags, ABS, and DSC. These are executed in extreme circumstances. I have only ever used the ABS twice. Never needed DSC or airbags.
Parents have a '17 Camry. Beep bloody beep. Thankfully it only beeps for lane departure. It doesn't yank the vehicle. My Dad is a sloppy driver now with a lot of bad driving habits (over 80 now and doesn't drive a lot.)
I have driven the car, and the blind spot monitoring is only an aid. I don't trust technology enough to rely on it completely. No. I'm not a 'boomer'.

A safe car is important, but the biggest factor is the person driving it. I see too many people who are indecisive, completely unprepared for driving on the road - and they are not P-Platers.

A car's technology and features are not there to compensate for shitty driving.

If I cannot safely operate my vehicle without aids, I don't deserve the privilege of a license. Either I agree to being re-trained, or I catch the bus and keep out of other people's way.

Anyway. I better go and catch my bus...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM   #99
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
What's scary is that this technology is the basis for so-called autonomous vehicles.
not scary at all. I much prefer the beta testing to be in cars with human drivers, rather than have this rolled out straight to AVs
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #100
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
MY19 focus. It has lane centering (not LKA) that steers you around corners really, really well.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM   #101
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Out of curimacosity, how do these automated and semi-automated systems for lane-keeping, respond in real life turbulent crosswinds?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM   #102
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Out of curimacosity, how do these automated and semi-automated systems for lane-keeping, respond in real life turbulent crosswinds?

Funny how you asked this question, I just purchased my new Suburu Outback and had the pleasure of driving it last Tuesday on the Geelong Melbourne Princess Freeway with high cross winds, I turned it off as I deemed it a tad slow in response to the strong winds, definitely my response to car movement was quicker.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post