Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM   #1
HONK
*Honker*

Default No need for a paint shop. Spray cans do an OK job these days, saving $$$.

On Youtube there are various videos showing you how to spray your car with cans, many of these videos show a completed car that looks fairly decent, especially compared to how it looked before.
  • If you want a perfect job you pay $3500 at a shop.
  • If you want a decent job you could pay $250 and do it yourself instead.
  • If you stuff it up, then you go to the paint shop, what have you got to lose?
It all depends what you're happy with I guess.
Take a look at some videos and check out the results. Try this before spending all your dim sim money on someone to do the exact same thing!

Here's a quick bad can job that looks 100% better than it did before:

Here's a couple more to look at: Good stuff.
HONK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM   #2
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: No need for a paint shop. Spray cans do an OK job these days, saving $$$.

Ive done one car with cans (wasn't mine and wasn't my idea) and I think we went through about 20 cans. Theyre near 50 bucks each at my local aswell. That was for a custom colour. By the time you also buy cans of primer, and the extra time to wet sand and buff, in my opinion it's a false economy.
I remember it sucking too because of how long it took to actually get the paint out of the can and onto the car.
But, the cans I used were acrylic, and it did come up great at the end, but obviously not going to be as resistant as a normal 2k job through a hvlp gun, and if you have a compressor and gun (any man should), I don't see any advantage.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: No need for a paint shop. Spray cans do an OK job these days, saving $$$.

Welcome to the forum.
Listen to Jack91, YouTube genius will tell you a bunch of Horses**t that gullible people believe.
The moment I heard Enamel, I stopped listening, been ther done that 35 years ago, never again.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Real men paint cars with house paint and a roller - check out this fine specimen we did:

The gross lime green highlights, this baby shit brown haynes house paint, the black is that underbody insulation/tray paint stuff, all applied skilfully with a roller

chefs kiss

We ruined a Landcruiser Bundera, which apparently is quite valuable these days

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-AD-17652759/?

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM   #5
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing turns me off buying a car more than some bogan who’s taken to the OEM alloys with a $20 can of satin black spray paint.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM   #6
HONK
*Honker*

Correct, I wouldn't touch the alloys with paint.

Black painted rims are garbage too.
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM   #7
HONK
*Honker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
Ive done one car with cans (wasn't mine and wasn't my idea) and I think we went through about 20 cans. Theyre near 50 bucks each at my local aswell. That was for a custom colour. By the time you also buy cans of primer, and the extra time to wet sand and buff, in my opinion it's a false economy. I remember it sucking too because of how long it took to actually get the paint out of the can and onto the car. But, the cans I used were acrylic, and it did come up great at the end, but obviously not going to be as resistant as a normal 2k job through a hvlp gun, and if you have a compressor and gun (any man should), I don't see any advantage.
Right, I was amazed at the price of painting a bumper with cans bought at supercheap auto, each 300ml can about $50, absurd.

Primer about $25, then clear on top, and sandpapers, etc. It all adds up, more than I thought it'd be.

Could have done less coats, but then it'd have to be done again next year most likely.

Still, the home paint-job could be a viable choice if done right especially compared to most car respray shop prices I think.

Look out for paints when they are on special maybe.