Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM   #61
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: ANCAP – It wasn’t us who stuffed up Lane Keep Assist (LKA) and Emergency Lane Keeping (ELK)

Dunno if this link works .....
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...1i8mjW#details.

If something didn't happen, how do they know it could have happened 500,000 times.
I could beat Kyle Chambers in 100m freestyle swimming, but as it hasn't happened yet, he doesn't know about it, and I am happy with my imaginary world record.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM   #62
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: ANCAP – It wasn’t us who stuffed up Lane Keep Assist (LKA) and Emergency Lane Keeping (ELK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Sorry mate you’re in another mind set.
Speeding had decreased immensely on the roads be it suburbia and more so on freeways.
sooooo, speeding has decreased, but accidents and injuries are up? almost as if speeding isn't actually the problem eh?
simon varley is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM   #63
prydey
Rob

Driving around today I think I've discovered why many don't like tech like lane keeper /lane assist. These systems use cameras etc to keep the car relatively central to the painted lane.

A large percentage of people use the painted markings on the road as a rough guide only.
Old Yesterday, 07:46 PM   #64
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Driving around today I think I've discovered why many don't like tech like lane keeper /lane assist. These systems use cameras etc to keep the car relatively central to the painted lane.

A large percentage of people use the painted markings on the road as a rough guide only.
If you don't want me to drive over it, don't make it flat
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM   #65
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I love how bundying off for 24h every Friday evening means I am likely to come back and find one or two AFF threads are now mudfights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I could beat Kyle Chambers in 100m freestyle swimming, but as it hasn't happened yet, he doesn't know about it, and I am happy with my imaginary world record.
Reminds me of Fresh Prince “I think I can beat Mike Tyson”?

I’m disappointed in whynot using research to propel an argument. Scientific input has no place in online disputes.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 08:51 PM   #66
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m disappointed in whynot using research to propel an argument. Scientific input has no place in online disputes.
Cherry picking data to suit a viewpoint.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM   #67
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Emergency Lane Keeping, Land Keep Assist, Cruise Control Distance systems are all relatively new.

Viewpoints on how they work, their effectiveness are even newer. We don't have enough real information to be effectively arguing with conviction.

Lets keep it civil, please, and thank you.

I let a lot of things ride, but don't want to let a thread get out of hand.
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM   #68
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
People are aware cops are around, distance cameras, cameras in so many places sure there is still the rabbits who test the boundaries but nothing like in the past.
That’s Gov schemes, double demerits weekends might I add.
IF you don’t think that has contributed to facilities and or accidents to a % let me know otherwise.
Penalties are massive too - its not just 'driving offences' anymore they're all summary offences now.

The fines can be nothing really (depends on the magistrate) but the ramifications of criminal convictions are wide-reaching, you don't have discrimination protection against being discriminated against in this area in some states, like you with discrimination protection on race/identity/gender/equal opportunity. The protections available now only partially exist in VIC since 2021/2022 with some new at the time legislation - and it still doesn't introduce discrimination protection, it just hides someones ability to see your conviction depending on how the chips fall in court.

Check out this one for 25 over:

Quote:
Fines for excessive speed, drug and alcohol offences are different from other fines – they are more serious.

They may result in:

driver licence cancellation or suspension
a conviction.

A conviction will be recorded 28 days from the Infringement Notice issue date on your fine, unless you object. If you were not responsible for the offence, you should act before that date. If you don't act, the offence will appear on your criminal record.

Excessive speed

You will be issued with an excessive speeding fine if you are caught driving 25km/h or more above the speed limit or driving at 130km/h or more.
Its the only criminal conviction you can score without even needing to set foot in court, and it applies once you pay your fine - this is the sort of thing that will catch you out on international travel too and cause dramas, or show up on criminal record checks on job interview process.

Quote:
Dangerous Driving at Speed

In Victoria, dangerous driving at speed carries a maximum penalty of 2 years’ imprisonment or a fine of 240 penalty units. If the vehicle was driven at a speed of 45 kilometres per hour or more in excess of the speed limit, the court must also disqualify the driver for a minimum period of 12 months. If the vehicle was not driven at a speed of 45 kilometres per hour or more in excess of the speed limit, the court must disqualify the driver for a minimum period of 6 months.

What Actions Might Constitute Dangerous Driving At Speed?

The following actions can form the basis of a charge of dangerous driving at speed in Victoria:

Driving at 70km/h in a 40km/h school zone;
Driving at 150km/h on a 110 km/h highway;
Driving at 100km/h in a residential area which causes a collision.

Which Court Will Hear Your Matter?

Dangerous Driving at Speed is a summary offence and will be heard in the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria.
If you oldies did what you did in your youth now, you'd be hit with 2 hoon strikes straight up (exceed 70+ over limit), paying 3 months worth of impound fees and funding lawyers.

The fine was only $850 but it cost me about $4000+ by the time you take into account paying impound fees, looking nice for court and paying lawyers,

If you take into account lost income on the driving ban if you relied on your car to get to work like most people do, than that figure raises to around $70,000.

I'm open about it because I want others to understand the potential ramifications, its not just the potential for accident its the administration side that you don't expect - but I understand if current Franco said this to past Franco, I'd have told myself to GAGF

Certainly changed my attitude behind the wheel, thats for sure.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; Yesterday at 11:38 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old Today, 12:47 AM   #69
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
sooooo, speeding has decreased, but accidents and injuries are up? almost as if speeding isn't actually the problem eh?

True be curious to really know the facts - prydey quoted about more hospitalisation’s increased - don’t know where he got that intel from.

Franco thanks for the info and noting how much you have changed your road manners without tech assisting you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 12:16 PM   #70
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
My view is, the road toll is largely trending down. Yes, there will be spikes etc but over the long term it is trending down. Even with the rising population over the years and many more people on the road the road toll generally still tends to trend down over time.
I suppose your view must be fact but of course it isn't that simple. Yes, over the long term the road toll per capita (the only meaningful statistic) had been dropping from a peak of 30.3 in 1970; 22.2 in 1980; 13.6 in 1990; 9.57 in 2000; 6.2 in 2010 and 4.2 in 2020 but it has since increased by 2.5%, 4.9% and 3.5% in the three years since and perhaps more importantly the number of serious injuries per capita has been rising steadily since the mid 1980's and has only started to fall again the last 5 years or so.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old Today, 01:08 PM   #71
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I suppose your view must be fact but of course it isn't that simple. Yes, over the long term the road toll per capita (the only meaningful statistic) had been dropping from a peak of 30.3 in 1970; 22.2 in 1980; 13.6 in 1990; 9.57 in 2000; 6.2 in 2010 and 4.2 in 2020 but it has since increased by 2.5%, 4.9% and 3.5% in the three years since and perhaps more importantly the number of serious injuries per capita has been rising steadily since the mid 1980's and has only started to fall again the last 5 years or so.
My guess is as cars become safer less people die in accidents but the trade off is they survive but come out with serious injuries as the trade-off.

The rise since 2020 is interesting, people are more ruthless than ever on Melbourne's roads, there's an attitude change in the air, people are more stressed out and willing to go off the deep end with the slightest push.

I reckon it's to do with the economy and stagnant wage growth, it's struggle street out there and people are one bad day away from ending up on the street.

The last month I've been involved in a road rage incident (that wasn't my fault) and a blue with a neighbouring business over rubbish dumping allegations and the latter involved one party carrying edged weapons.
2 users like this post:
Old Today, 02:29 PM   #72
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is the neighbouring business an edged weapon manufacturer?

Thank you for detailing the nature of the speeding fines and process too, Franco.

Russellw, thank you for the stats, to clarify, does "..4.2 in 2020 but it has since increased by 2.5%, 4.9% and 3.5%..." mean

2021 4.2 x 1.025
2022 that number by 1.049
2023 that next number by 1.035

or

2021 4.2+2.5 = 6.7
2022 4.2+4.9 = 9.1
2023 4.2+3.5 = 7.7

or something different like a compounding % of the 4.2?

And

Why is the road toll increasing if we are safer than ever?

And

If these systems are AOK, why is ANCAP acting the way that it is, subject of this thread?
Old Today, 05:25 PM   #73
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

It was diffrent back in my day.

Cross ply tyres

No seat belts

No speed limits on open roads

Bench seats

Three on a tree

Plus we dove cars at speed when drunk.

Drunk drivers were the leading cause of accidents.

Now it is sober drivers the major cause of accidents

Sorry, they are called crashes now.

Let's get those sober drivers off the roads and let drunk drivers sort out any problems with hoons, road surfaces, speed limits and poor signing.
Cav is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: