Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2024, 11:54 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default One-Off LCL Questions

I’ve been looking a number of automotive parts I need, they’re not required in a hurry. Some would be used, some new. Origin either Europe (Poland) or the UK.

Panels, bumpers, windscreens. So you’d rely on a crating firm to receive and box the lot up suitably for LCL freight that was compliant at the receiving end.

Has anyone here been through an exercise like this, post-Covid? I use that for a timestamp as I assume biosecurity became more rigid and predictable thereafter. Related, has anyone experienced mishaps like a crate being damaged or loaded upside down/sideways/on end?

I’m also interested to hear of differing port and country costs. It’s early days but I need to build my understanding of the process and risks/costs.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2024, 12:31 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: One-Off LCL Questions

I did LCL sea freight but ex China, FOB incoterms from supplier.

I used McHugh Eastwood and they were super helpful.

Cost me about $325 for 5x cartons at 45kg, only worked out to be 0.125m3 but they handled all the customs bullshit and that sort of stuff. There was no import duties because of CHAFTA.

I just had to pay GST on the import side, then pick up from one of their warehouses where they stored my pallet for me in the interim.

These are the charges that came in:

If you're looking ex Europe I imagine the costs have risen dramatically if the Houthi's are still rocketing commercial ships going through the red sea, its going to add circa 30 days and associated costs with traveling alternative route around the horn of Africa to get to us from Europe.

Quote:
Major carriers in the global logistics industry are already experiencing the impact of the Red Sea diversions as the Singapore port, the world's second largest container port, is experiencing major congestion. According to intelligence firm, Linerlytica, there are up to 450,000 TEU worth of backlogs and are warning companies that there is a wait of up to 7 days for a berth compared to the usual half day.
Red Sea shennanigans still at play.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-07-2024 at 12:42 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-07-2024, 05:22 AM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I see your chosen provider has an office in Sydney - worth investigating.

Off the top of my head, crate displacement would be about 2 cubic metres (1.8x1.0x1.1).

Your prices look sharper than the ones I used to see in the early nineties working with a fellow who imported a bit of exotic timber. Wouldn’t be surprised though, if landing up here increases costs a whole lot. I’ve also got the logistics to wear from purchase to consolidation.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2024, 07:09 AM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I see your chosen provider has an office in Sydney - worth investigating.

Off the top of my head, crate displacement would be about 2 cubic metres (1.8x1.0x1.1).

Your prices look sharper than the ones I used to see in the early nineties working with a fellow who imported a bit of exotic timber. Wouldn’t be surprised though, if landing up here increases costs a whole lot. I’ve also got the logistics to wear from purchase to consolidation.
Quote was from last year, back then the freight component was worth virtually nothing, FCL 40ft container ex China to Melbourne for $400 USD. It cost 7.5x more to get a 20ft container from Port Melbourne to my front yard than to send it from China to Melbourne.

LCL there's usually a minimum charge of 1m3 which is what I paid, then obligatory contributions to everyone down the line at the docks.

Can sellers palletize goods? Or are you buying from eBay sellers or something?

Worth a chat with McHugh Eastwood, made it very simple to get my goods.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post