Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-06-2024, 06:35 PM   #3661
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I don't understand. Isn't regular exercise meant to make one fitter? Which means for any give activity a person's body works less to produce the same output as their efficiency increases.

So why after today's ride did the stats say I worked harder then previous ride of the identical circuit but my time was slower? An the ride prior today's showed the identical trend - my body is working harder!

Course identical. Time almost identical. Breathing and cadence almost identical. But my average heart rate and peak heart rate are higher! I am getting less fitter according to the numbers.
Im no expert.

But i think it also depends on the workload for the time leading up to the recorded exercise. I have that also, im not super fit but some rides the exertion level is higher than other rides.
I think it comes down to consistency also which i dont have. I wouldnt read too much into it.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-06-2024, 08:35 PM   #3662
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Fatigue can have quite an effect on heart rate. As can temperature.
Heart rate isn’t a great indicator of fitness. Output is a much better measure.
Certainly heart rate may come down with consistent training over time. But fluctuation is normal.
If I have a week or two off, my heart rate will be much higher than if I have had a solid block of training for 3 or 4 weeks.

Also how you warm up can have an effect.
Illness can also effect HR.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2024, 11:02 PM   #3663
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Sleep or lack there of will affect the outcome of the HR the next day. I noticed during my peak fitness on the bike. If I had a rubbish night of sleep before a ride the next morning. My HR monitor will show it early on moderate effort. It also meant I would max out my limit of endurance earlier too. The Heart can only work with what the body gives it. Having sufficient rest the night/day before a long ride makes a big difference.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont