Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-02-2022, 07:17 PM   #1
Jamies460

Default Club Rego ?????

Hello my Wife mentioned to me the other day about putting My FG XR8 ( 2008 ) on Club Rego ..... I dont know anything about Club Rego do you have to Join a Club ???? And if so how often are you allowed to drive a car on club rego, would some-one be able to tell me the in's & out's of it, My XR8 doe's not get driven much at all, any information would be Great Thanks.
Jamies460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2022, 07:21 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Club Rego ?????

What state are you in; the rules vary between states?
Old 14-02-2022, 07:27 PM   #3
Jamies460

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
What state are you in; the rules vary between states?
Im in NSW.
Jamies460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2022, 07:54 PM   #4
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did a quick forum search with the search button at top and got this
may be worth some reading
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...ight=club+rego
tho im sorry im not from NSW my self and id be surprised if a 2008 vehicle would fall in to a category to get club rego

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-02-2022, 08:01 PM   #5
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Car has to be 30 years or order in NSW to be eligible for club rego.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2022, 08:09 PM   #6
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The car needs to be 30 years or older. Closest you can get for a modern car is Rally Rego but it's not worth it (you can only drive to and from events) and you can't use the car socially at all.

We offer it in our club to members but you have another 16 years to go for the car.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2022, 08:12 PM   #7
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
Car has to be 30 years or order in NSW to be eligible for club rego.
haha one of the links i put up was you telling some one else the same line
telling toothless in 2016 on his 1992 ford fairlane v8
which ironically would probably be able now

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 14-02-2022, 09:20 PM   #8
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

The other thing about “club rego” is the limitations in your state. VIC and NSW have a log book thing but cause QLD is QLD I can drive anywhere within a 15 Klm radius of the garaged address, for car testing and tuning as well as any club sanctioned event regardless of klm’s. You also must be a financial member of a recognised car club.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2022, 09:52 PM   #9
BlueBear
Shockwave

I have my 1976 Nissan UD Coach converted to a motorhome on club rego in SA.
As said above over 30 years old, though it's supposed to be going to 25 years soon.
Easiest rego ever, approx $100 per year, 90 days of driving to do anything anywhere even interstate. Log book to fill in, but a very simple one that can be quite vague, allowing for changes in plan on the day.

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2022, 07:22 AM   #10
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

In NSW, 30 years minimum, member of a club, 60 days log book drives of your own accord plus additional club sanctioned runs, for Historical registration (small brown and white plates)the car has to be virtually totally stock with only safety items added and period accessories. If the car is modified in anyway including non original or period wheel (even of same size) you need to go on Conditional registration (green white large plates like a Forklift) which there are only 7 sanctioned clubs that facilitate this, your club has to be associated with one of these clubs to participate. Either are both $46 a year including greenslip, so if its eligible then it really is a no brainer. Add your club membership fees to it (each club varies) and you can usually have both for around $100 per year. You can own and register 10-20 cars for the price of one normal registration.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2022, 04:51 PM   #11
athol

I think a lot of cheap rego chasers don't realise they are required by law to attend a number of club events eg meetings ,club runs, working bees ect. to qualify for the plates.
A number of clubs now require to person to attend a number of monthly meetings and club events some are saying six months then a committee will decide of the member is a suitable person to be in the club and participate, and not just after a set of cheap plates. Athol.
athol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2022, 05:24 PM   #12
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by athol View Post
I think a lot of cheap rego chasers don't realise they are required by law to attend a number of club events eg meetings ,club runs, working bees ect. to qualify for the plates.
A number of clubs now require to person to attend a number of monthly meetings and club events some are saying six months then a committee will decide of the member is a suitable person to be in the club and participate, and not just after a set of cheap plates. Athol.
Well that's partially correct.

The law states that as a club you need to have a committee, an AGM and I think its an additional 2 meetings during the year where minutes are written and kept on file, just like any company would.

Now its then up to the club not the law to determine how many club runs (if any) a club member needs to attend to to be eligible for conditional registration. This is not law as such, in fact if the club wants to run it with no runs at all, then so be it. But most clubs do specify so many runs a year as its not fair to those who put all the work running a club, usually for love and not for money so that members can get cheap rego with no commitment. As long as the minutes show date time and place of meeting and who attended, treasury report etc etc that is all that is required by the Department Of Fair Trading of which the club must be registered with to be a club.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2022, 06:03 PM   #13
BlueBear
Shockwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by athol View Post
Absolutely not the case for me. I joined SMASA specifically to get club rego.
The club is aware of this and actively encourages new members to join for that purpose.
To get club rego with them I only have to pay the club dues yearly.
No other obligations involved.
Of course we are always invited to attend meetings and events, but it is not a requirement of the club that we attend any of them.

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2022, 06:31 PM   #14
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And when you contact your insurer with the new rego number, they - or at least Shannons do - give you a discount.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2022, 08:42 PM   #15
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Every state have their own rules and regulations.
From what I understand you could buy and sell a car in SA without a RWC. That’s not the case in any other state that I’m aware off. It’s the same with “club reg”.
Look up the rules and regulations that apply to your state and it’s pretty straight forward.
For example, in some states you can’t flat tow a car behind your motor home but it’s legal in QLD.
If only Australia could have a set rule across the country, it would make life so much easier for every motorist

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
Old 16-02-2022, 06:41 AM   #16
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
Every state have their own rules and regulations.
From what I understand you could buy and sell a car in SA without a RWC. That’s not the case in any other state that I’m aware off.
AFAIK you only need a RWC if the car remains registered. Unregistered it doesn't matter.

Also it's not a requirement in NSW, every car gets inspected yearly in any case.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2022, 05:09 PM   #17
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

the SA club that has me as a member requires attendance at 4 events per year. this can be meetings, runs, club dinners, etc.
I will always attend the AGM so I need only attend 3 more for the year.

SA does not require RWC when you buy/sell
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2022, 05:16 PM   #18
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo View Post
the SA club that has me as a member requires attendance at 4 events per year. this can be meetings, runs, club dinners, etc.
I will always attend the AGM so I need only attend 3 more for the year.

SA does not require RWC when you buy/sell
The club for my older car requires as above. They have "interpreted" the rules in the spirit of things for the last 2 years as most of us weren't attending due to the zombie apocalypse.

I am back now, with first meeting attended and hopefully a few runs. It makes economic sense, about $2k savings in rego, CTP and Comp pa.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2022, 07:56 PM   #19
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry
AFAIK you only need a RWC if the car remains registered. Unregistered it doesn't matter.

Also it's not a requirement in NSW, every car gets inspected yearly in any case.

Dr Terry

I was referring to a registered vehicle. Non registered vehicles are free from any RWC needs.
In QLD there are no annual RWC inspections required, same as Victoria when I left for a better life 12 years ago.
It just says again, every state is different and the OP hasn’t listed his state so it’s all guess work.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports

Last edited by GasoLane; 16-02-2022 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Stuffed up multiquote.
Old 16-02-2022, 08:31 PM   #20
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was referring to a registered vehicle. Non registered vehicles are free from any RWC needs.
In QLD there are no annual RWC inspections required, same as Victoria when I left for a better life 12 years ago.
It just says again, every state is different and the OP hasn’t listed his state so it’s all guess work.
im guessing you missed the third post in this thread then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamies460 View Post
Im in NSW.

Old 16-02-2022, 08:43 PM   #21
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
im guessing you missed the third post in this thread then

That I did

Gaso, please feel free to delete that miss placed quote

I’m on a roll tonight

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2022, 09:34 PM   #22
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That I did

Gaso, please feel free to delete that miss placed quote

I’m on a roll tonight
dont worry i had a laugh and yes ive noticed not much normally gets past you (just like Gaso )

Old 17-02-2022, 08:15 PM   #23
ESPJG32

just to throw a cat into the the pidgeons, I have a number of cars on club rego in WA one of the clubs here looked at passing a requirement for meeting attendance for concessional licensing and I put a submission to them that I would attend events that interest me, if they didnt put on a variety of events -some of which would interest me, some of which may not, then I would only go to those that interested me. I was happy to pay an extra fee if I didnt attend any meetings or I was happy to move the cars to a club that didnt have that requirement,,,,,,they decided not to make it a condition,
If a club is not putting on events that suits the bulk of the membership then they need to lift their game or they will lose members,,,,,and in this state if your membership drops below 30 members concessional licensing ability by the club is lost
ESPJG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2022, 10:31 AM   #24
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPJG32 View Post
just to throw a cat into the the pidgeons, I have a number of cars on club rego in WA one of the clubs here looked at passing a requirement for meeting attendance for concessional licensing and I put a submission to them that I would attend events that interest me, if they didnt put on a variety of events -some of which would interest me, some of which may not, then I would only go to those that interested me. I was happy to pay an extra fee if I didnt attend any meetings or I was happy to move the cars to a club that didnt have that requirement,,,,,,they decided not to make it a condition,
If a club is not putting on events that suits the bulk of the membership then they need to lift their game or they will lose members,,,,,and in this state if your membership drops below 30 members concessional licensing ability by the club is lost
I dont think those thoughts upset the apple cart. I think what you are saying is reasonable. the club that I belong to has a variety of events. I had no interest in attending the 'all british' run, one- I dont own a british car, and two - I wasnt the least bit interested in the venue where they had decided to gather for lunch. however, they also had a run to a very big swap meet, which I was thinking of attending, so I went to that. SO I agree with your comments, offer a variety to suit as many different interests as possible.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post