Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2022, 06:35 PM   #1
heven67
Starter Motor

Default 3 wire alternator

Hi Folks
I have a small problem with my alternator and have exhausted my options and am up to guessing, I bought a 220A Powermaster alternator but the belt slips really bad even at idle.
I done 3 belts and a new 130A alternator and a old standard 95A unit and the 95 doesn’t slip but the others are terrible, the pulleys get HOT.
I wired the sensor wire direct to the power out terminal as the instructions on line, but I noticed they are 95A instructions. I was wondering if I move the sensor wire closer to the battery.
heven67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-02-2022, 11:23 PM   #2
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 
Default Re: 3 wire alternator

I've seen this happen a couple of time's
It's usually caused by not enough tension on the belt,
Try putting a medium ratchet and socket on the alternator pulley nut and try turning the nut clockwise, it the pulley/nut turn's then the belt isn't tight enough.
You want just enough tension so the belt doesnt slip, but not so much tension that the waterpump bearing's will suffer.
Some fan belt's don't sit right in the pulley's too they can bottom out in the v section

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2022, 10:03 AM   #3
heven67
Starter Motor

I forgot to mention I’m using the serpentine belt, I’ve put a 15mm ring spanner on the adjuster while it’s running and increased the tension to no avail.
I’m thinking it may be the sensor wire somehow sensing low voltage, I will run a wire direct to the battery and see if that’s what is happening.
heven67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2022, 12:17 PM   #4
slowsnake
Banned

Have you measured the pulley dia?sounds like it may be smaller in diameter, I remember I replace a idler pulley on my Au2 and it was 1mm bigger in dia, new belt, but geez it was tight to get the serpentine belt on, ended up putting too much pressure on the water pump pulley, screwed the bearing in that, it had 5000 klm on it, other than that I really hope you get it sorted out.

Regards Billy.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2022, 06:12 PM   #5
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by heven67 View Post
Hi Folks
I have a small problem with my alternator and have exhausted my options and am up to guessing, I bought a 220A Powermaster alternator but the belt slips really bad even at idle.
I done 3 belts and a new 130A alternator and a old standard 95A unit and the 95 doesn’t slip but the others are terrible, the pulleys get HOT.
I wired the sensor wire direct to the power out terminal as the instructions on line, but I noticed they are 95A instructions. I was wondering if I move the sensor wire closer to the battery.
Helps to begin by telling us what car and engine it is...

Check that you have matching width and number of grooves on your pulley & belt. I think most are pretty standard with 6 grooves, but you never know.

Check your alignment. Everything should be in the same vertical plane. (On my old EB, things somehow got out of alignment, and it would chew the belts)

But yes, ultimately, a 220A Alternator is going to put a much bigger strain than the OEM.

And yes, unless its specifically designed for your car, fitting a high-power alternator to a modern car, can be a nightmare.