Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-11-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Best 4x4 in 1970's

What do you all think was the best 4X4 in the 1970's and why.
I like the 1978 F100 FWD 5.8L XLT ute the best, not sure if they got the automatic FWD then, but I know the new box type look did get the C6 auto with FWD, but that's 1980's.

So that's for utes is the F100 5.8L 4X4 I believe, can anyone dispute that.

For a wagon 4X4 it's the 1978 Premier Overlander hands down, 5.0L auto with A/C, P/C. how could you beat that.

The 1972 XY 4X4 ute would of been a big deal then I believe value for money and all.

VW Buggy's good value and go places that 4x4 go easy.

Anyone got an opinion on the Toyotas and Nissan or Land rovers etc.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2021, 03:57 PM   #2
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Best 4x4 in 1970's

Old man swore buy these things,only thing that could handle the weight of the tank on back to fill the solos plus all the rest of the gear,he certainly took them some places.
Old 04-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #3
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hands down the 40 series cruiser a proper workhorse. it wasn't comfortable or powerful but could be loaded up and driven anywhere.

sorry I don't think the F100 would make any top 10 list

Jeeps, land rovers & even Ranger rovers were around back then and were very capable just less reliable than the Toyota
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 05:15 PM   #4
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Old man swore buy these things,only thing that could handle the weight of the tank on back to fill the solos plus all the rest of the gear,he certainly took them some places.
I agree with your Dad 100%......Bullet proof.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 07:03 PM   #5
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Hands down the 40 series cruiser a proper workhorse. it wasn't comfortable or powerful but could be loaded up and driven anywhere.

sorry I don't think the F100 would make any top 10 list

Jeeps, land rovers & even Ranger rovers were around back then and were very capable just less reliable than the Toyota
I would say full on conditions the best was the WW2 Jeep by far.

Yes I like them old Toyota's in the real off road, but I never wanted one to drive on the road at all, I totally hated them then, the noise of the diffs and steering them was crap.

The best thing about the Land rover was if it had a Holden 6 in it, but they would snap axles and the seat was just a pillow type thing that could fly out from under you.

Rang Rovers were not really that reliable.

I do not know to much about the old Nissan but they had their radical followers as well.

Anyone driven the 1970 to 1976 6 cyl F100 4X4 with the 240-6 or 300 6 cyl or even the big Aussie 250 6 cyl 4x4 that would be interesting your thoughts, my dad had a 1976 250 6 cyl 4x2 and it went real well, it got up and went real well, I was so surprised.

But the 1976-7 302 V8's were the most gutless rubbish, I am sure that a 300 6cyl would kill them easy.

One bloke I know had a old F350 with a 6 cyl and a 1979 F350 5.8L and the 300 6 cyl was the better hands down.

So you can find some combinations that are surprising work well or better than you may think.

I am interested in the differences of the Nissan and the Toyota that people squabbled about, back in the days. I just can not remember what they were on about, but it was full on ranting's just like it was Ford vs Holden. ha ha.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-11-2021, 08:59 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

The best... on ohhh so many levels

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2021, 10:02 AM   #7
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post

Yes I like them old Toyota's in the real off road, but I never wanted one to drive on the road at all, I totally hated them then, the noise of the diffs and steering them was crap.

The best thing about the Land rover was if it had a Holden 6 in it, but they would snap axles and the seat was just a pillow type thing that could fly out from under you.

I do not know to much about the old Nissan but they had their radical followers as well.

Anyone driven the 1970 to 1976 6 cyl F100 4X4 with the 240-6 or 300 6 cyl or even the big Aussie 250 6 cyl 4x4 that would be interesting your thoughts, my dad had a 1976 250 6 cyl 4x2 and it went real well, it got up and went real well, I was so surprised.

But the 1976-7 302 V8's were the most gutless rubbish, I am sure that a 300 6cyl would kill them easy.

One bloke I know had a old F350 with a 6 cyl and a 1979 F350 5.8L and the 300 6 cyl was the better hands down.

So you can find some combinations that are surprising work well or better than you may think.

I am interested in the differences of the Nissan and the Toyota that people squabbled about, back in the days. I just can not remember what they were on about, but it was full on ranting's just like it was Ford vs Holden. ha ha.
WW2 wasn't in the 70s...

Nissan v Toyota debate didn't start until the 80s 3rd gen Patrol. not 70s

I said range rovers were not reliable, but they were around in the 70s plus it was their electrics not their capabilities - see Top gear Bolivia to see what they can do.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #8
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
I agree with your Dad 100%......Bullet proof.
Bit off topic but fwiw every day his dog May would jump on the back and head off to work with us sometimes things would get pretty dodgey climbing round the side of hills etc always remember one particular day on a rather extreme angle the bloke in cab beside me said "jesus John" or words to that effect and the old fella replied "keep your eyes on May when she gets off were in trouble"
Old 05-11-2021, 10:38 AM   #9
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

I drove an F100 every week, I was 17 and on P plates, they were police paddy wagons, and we did the service on em, one a week, they hammered 6cyl.

The early Toyota Landcruisers were cool looking beasts, couple of mates had pick ups, both brickies, both 4x4, both for work only.
That is the 70's another mate in Qld had short wheelbase Landcruiser it was deadly, you could not kill it think it was FJ40 so 1977, the Toyota was first imported for the Snowy Mountains Scheme, it was used all the way through, Nissan Patrols were 3 speed, but 4x4, made in that configuration as an order for the Indian Army, on mountain roads they were geared for that, good mate had the F100 4x4 x351ci for towing a car trailer to different jobs, he said it was crap, he was a Ford man too.
In those days of early Toyota's it was par for the course to fit a "Fairey Overdrive"

Just an add on, a good mate of mine cut his teeth as a Mercedes Mechanic and drove a Toyota 4x4, but only a 4 cyl not Landy, when I got back to Sydney from 4 years travelling Qld, Nth Qld, central Qld, NT outback, never worked in Darwin, we were chatting, and I said to him a lot of Range Rovers up in the NT mate, he said to me that if you put a Landy and a Range Rover on a steep sand dune, drove half way and stop, the Landy would dig a hole for itself getting nowhere, whilst the Range Rover was the only 4x4 that could take off without bogging down, he said its why they used them in sandy or desert areas, save your life he reckoned?

Last edited by slowsnake; 05-11-2021 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Add paragraph
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2021, 10:57 AM   #10
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Patrols were all 3 speed, Toyota were 4 speed!
We are looking at the 70's not 60's or the 80's,,,,
Old 05-11-2021, 11:07 AM   #11
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

despite appearances even todays Range Rover is very capable off road.

But the 1st gen in 1970 was a game changer see vid from 2:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNGfa2focZw

designed for both onRoad and offroad performace
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #12
slowsnake
Banned

Just one more thing, I travelled an awful lot between 1977 to 81 and everywhere I went, no grey nomads everywhere, just the odd hippies in Kombi Vans, but the reason you drove Toyota Landcruisers and it was the only reason, you could get parts anywhere!
You broke down and you could go to any station or even paddock or outback servo/ bar, and yes all the roadhouses sold petrol, diesel, kerosene and grog!....

But they all carried Toyota parts, all of em!
That is the big deal about em, you could get parts anywhere, but try getting parts for your Nissan or Land Rover?.....lot of phone calls and a weeks wait, but at least they sold beer, icy cold too!..
Old 05-11-2021, 12:22 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The Range Rovers were the best by far. They just weren't reliable.

All the others were rough as guts with ****weak engines. More reliable though, if you can handle the broken spine from driving one.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #14
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

Oh yes, they are big ttttt, tyres.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:06 PM   #15
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I drove an F100 every week, I was 17 and on P plates, they were police paddy wagons, and we did the service on em, one a week, they hammered 6cyl.

The early Toyota Landcruisers were cool looking beasts, couple of mates had pick ups, both brickies, both 4x4, both for work only.
That is the 70's another mate in Qld had short wheelbase Landcruiser it was deadly, you could not kill it think it was FJ40 so 1977, the Toyota was first imported for the Snowy Mountains Scheme, it was used all the way through, Nissan Patrols were 3 speed, but 4x4, made in that configuration as an order for the Indian Army, on mountain roads they were geared for that, good mate had the F100 4x4 x351ci for towing a car trailer to different jobs, he said it was crap, he was a Ford man too.
In those days of early Toyota's it was par for the course to fit a "Fairey Overdrive"

Just an add on, a good mate of mine cut his teeth as a Mercedes Mechanic and drove a Toyota 4x4, but only a 4 cyl not Landy, when I got back to Sydney from 4 years travelling Qld, Nth Qld, central Qld, NT outback, never worked in Darwin, we were chatting, and I said to him a lot of Range Rovers up in the NT mate, he said to me that if you put a Landy and a Range Rover on a steep sand dune, drove half way and stop, the Landy would dig a hole for itself getting nowhere, whilst the Range Rover was the only 4x4 that could take off without bogging down, he said its why they used them in sandy or desert areas, save your life he reckoned?
Yes a lot of Range Rovers in Darwin, the first job I got in Darwin the owner of the house had a brand new 1986 one, I would look over at it thinking I would love to have a drive of that.

I have been in a lot of 5.8L F100's that were gutless as. I do not know why but they all sounded like they ran on 7 cyls sort of.

A mate had a XW ute 351c with a nice cam and 700 Holy DP and the torque of that thing was huge, twice the power of a ADR 1978 351 easy. It had a nice sort of lumpy idle when cold but when warmed up just a slight touch of lump if you really listened you could say hey this is not stock. I thought a 351 like that in a F100 would be the bees knees.

Was the 1978 F100 5.8L electronic dizzy ? I think a lot of them did not advance correctly and a mate had a WB Caprice that I think was the same gutless as.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:42 PM   #16
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Rangie all the way if we are talking 70's and actual all round ability. If you want a solo work vehicle then maye the others mentioned.
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-11-2021, 10:47 PM   #17
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes a lot of Range Rovers in Darwin, the first job I got in Darwin the owner of the house had a brand new 1986 one, I would look over at it thinking I would love to have a drive of that.

I have been in a lot of 5.8L F100's that were gutless as. I do not know why but they all sounded like they ran on 7 cyls sort of.

A mate had a XW ute 351c with a nice cam and 700 Holy DP and the torque of that thing was huge, twice the power of a ADR 1978 351 easy. It had a nice sort of lumpy idle when cold but when warmed up just a slight touch of lump if you really listened you could say hey this is not stock. I thought a 351 like that in a F100 would be the bees knees.

Was the 1978 F100 5.8L electronic dizzy ? I think a lot of them did not advance correctly and a mate had a WB Caprice that I think was the same gutless as.
My Boss had a 78 F100,i think cam timing was retarded to suit emissions of the time. We put a sig erson RV cam and extractors on it which made a huge difference . Was a great tow vehicle all be it a bit thirsty.

Last edited by FERG_51; 05-11-2021 at 10:52 PM.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2021, 12:10 AM   #18
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERG_51 View Post
My Boss had a 78 F100,i think cam timing was retarded to suit emissions of the time. We put a sig erson RV cam and extractors on it which made a huge difference . Was a great tow vehicle all be it a bit thirsty.
i had a 78 canadian f250 with the 6 was apparently dead on a farm
they had been driving it with out an air cleaner as the farm hack and when it stopped tow'd to the shed n sat till i bought it $500
turned out that whilst they didnt have the air filter they also didnt have the fuel cap and whilst it was ok to suck dirt it wasnt to get it in the fuel so they had put a rag over the filler , one day it disappeared , in to the fuel tank of
coarse and shortly after it stopped and not cause it was nackered as they thought but fuel blockage
i drove it from the farm (even offered more but they didnt accept)
now the storys set the motor did eventually and quite a few wa high way k's latter , give up its want to live
and a mate had just done a diesel in to his bronco and his 51 ended up in front of the canadian 6's 4 speed crash and that v8 quiet happily chirped its self around the country side in there with no feel of lacking in the v8 power id known in my xy wagon or fairlanes
and still full emission kit from the bronco
sold it many years latter for almost 6k to a car yard

still have a 83 f350 51 now but never driven it yet so dont know bout its power
sold the guy my 2002 v8 explorer and he thru it in with the deal

EDIT:~ and as for the thread Best 4x4 in 1970's to me its the xy ute and for no other reason but it was "different and unique" wasnt done before nor after
and seemed to "go every where" with the 6s torque and low lite kinda wide longish wheel base and just looked cool

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2021, 04:53 AM   #19
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post

HaHa, I got beaten on the rare local falcon
http://www.allisons.org/ll/4/Ford/XY/

Here's a fun one but don;t know the story of the sedan. mad max stuff.

I'd have to say the landcruisers, jeeps and the brits were the best back then, that's the era they earned their reputation. The F trucks were more chosen for tow pigs, not 4x4 reknown.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #20
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
interesting

i had a 78 canadian f250 with the 6 was apparently dead on a farm
they had been driving it with out an air cleaner as the farm hack and when it stopped tow'd to the shed n sat till i bought it $500
turned out that whilst they didnt have the air filter they also didnt have the fuel cap and whilst it was ok to suck dirt it wasnt to get it in the fuel so they had put a rag over the filler , one day it disappeared , in to the fuel tank of
coarse and shortly after it stopped and not cause it was nackered as they thought but fuel blockage
i drove it from the farm (even offered more but they didnt accept)
now the storys set the motor did eventually and quite a few wa high way k's latter , give up its want to live
and a mate had just done a diesel in to his bronco and his 51 ended up in front of the canadian 6's 4 speed crash and that v8 quiet happily chirped its self around the country side in there with no feel of lacking in the v8 power id known in my xy wagon or fairlanes
and still full emission kit from the bronco
sold it many years latter for almost 6k to a car yard

still have a 83 f350 51 now but never driven it yet so dont know bout its power
sold the guy my 2002 v8 explorer and he thru it in with the deal

EDIT:~ and as for the thread Best 4x4 in 1970's to me its the xy ute and for no other reason but it was "different and unique" wasnt done before nor after
and seemed to "go every where" with the 6s torque and low lite kinda wide longish wheel base and just looked cool
Too bad that the XA ute could not be made into a 4X4. but the XD ute could of been a 4x4 but by then the 1980 market had changed some what as to what you had on offer with all the other 4x4's around.

But I would say that the Overlander Wagon was first of the modern type of high 4x4 that you see every were nowadays. Yes the Range Rover was as well and the Jeep wagoneer.

A mates dad had a V8 automatic Jeep Wagoneer in 1978-9 but they were rare as hens teeth in QLD. I will have to ask my mate about it.

I was thinking of getting a HQ Holden 1 tonne 308 auto and just locking the diff solid for Frazer island work, but just put the leaf springs on top of the axel housing and put them 15in sun riser wheels and big tyres on it, then just jack the font coils up 3in more.
Old bloke who owned Eurong resort had a ZF Fairlane that he drove over Fraser Island for some years with no problems and it was parked out on the beach front.

I seen a 4x2 HJ ute once over their and it was up top of the Indian Head track.

In 1979 I seen two brand new XD Falcons driving on Rainbow Beach down to Noosa, must of been hire cars I thought.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:39 PM   #21
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Too bad that the XA ute could not be made into a 4X4. but the XD ute could of been a 4x4 but by then the 1980 market had changed some what as to what you had on offer with all the other 4x4's around.

But I would say that the Overlander Wagon was first of the modern type of high 4x4 that you see every were nowadays. Yes the Range Rover was as well and the Jeep wagoneer.

A mates dad had a V8 automatic Jeep Wagoneer in 1978-9 but they were rare as hens teeth in QLD. I will have to ask my mate about it.

I was thinking of getting a HQ Holden 1 tonne 308 auto and just locking the diff solid for Frazer island work, but just put the leaf springs on top of the axel housing and put them 15in sun riser wheels and big tyres on it, then just jack the font coils up 3in more.
Old bloke who owned Eurong resort had a ZF Fairlane that he drove over Fraser Island for some years with no problems and it was parked out on the beach front.

I seen a 4x2 HJ ute once over their and it was up top of the Indian Head track.

In 1979 I seen two brand new XD Falcons driving on Rainbow Beach down to Noosa, must of been hire cars I thought.
mate had a xf pv and took that a lot of places of road he prob shouldnt have tho i dont recall needing to pull him out as we always went in a group of 3 vehicles and two of us had/have 4wd's and he the pv
unfortunate the pv met its grief in suburbia when his missis had a panic attack and ran it in to a tree on the verge not of road some where out bush

EDIT oh and i have enough gear sitting round to do a 4wd drive line to a latter falcon
diffs tailshafts c4 fitted with transfer case thas suited for a clevo and i have the clevo now if the right xb/xc wagooon fell in to my lap

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: