Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Default AU Airbox

Hey all,
ok this mod has been in my head over and over again for ages now, i would love to get the g&d intake but with a 6month old finances dont stretch, and for 600 odd would rather by some pacies for it, my question is if the BA xr8 airbox can flow enough air for a boss290 to spin 2 6000 and make around 250rw would it flow enough for my lil windsor making 185rwkw, surely it should flow enough, the ba 1 looks better aswell i think, would their be a power gain over mine if i use a bmc filter currently mine has a k&n panel.

any help would be appreciated.

NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Wouldnt make a lot of difference I wouldnt think.

Most of the big ticket Boss cars are now running G&D or Bluepower intakes anyhow as the std one isnt up to the task.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
Hey all,
ok this mod has been in my head over and over again for ages now, i would love to get the g&d intake but with a 6month old finances dont stretch, and for 600 odd would rather by some pacies for it, my question is if the BA xr8 airbox can flow enough air for a boss290 to spin 2 6000 and make around 250rw would it flow enough for my lil windsor making 185rwkw, surely it should flow enough, the ba 1 looks better aswell i think, would their be a power gain over mine if i use a bmc filter currently mine has a k&n panel.

any help would be appreciated.
What mods have been done so far?
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

So far, 70mm throttle, cam, rollers, ported heads stainless valves, stall conv, twin 2 1/4 exh, std extractors soon 2 be replaced i hope, full balance and blueprint, acl race series engine kit, shot peened rods and de stressed, arp rod bolts and main stud kit and a windage tray, more money spent on strenghtening planing on nos or super charger 1 day. engine didnt cost me much as its my job and did it after hrs at work and parts were cheap. also has a edit done but i think there is room for improvement somewhere.
Old 17-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Are you still running the standard airbox & Maf ?
If so I think you should save up the dollars and go the G&D set up
I have had the T3 stroker set up on mine and ended up needing to go to the G&D setup the only difference being im using a BA one being its slightly bigger & I dont have a MAF to worry about see pic
http://www.fordforums.com.au/attachm...chmentid=10870
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 10:43 PM   #6
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

nice and clean just like mine, ive still got std maf and box just a k&n panel filter, can i ask how you keep your rad bottle clean i put a new one in and lasted about a month, its not dirty i think its the heat doing it now that the motor is all new it obviosly runs hotter has 10:1 comp but would like it to be nice and white like yours (au1xls)
Old 18-04-2006, 01:27 AM   #7
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

ON the cheap...
Go to bunnings buy some 4 inch heater ducting.
CUt a large 4 inch hole in the front of the air box just below you panel filter.
PI$$ off the piece of plastic between radiator and head ligh and feed ducting through.

Or just cut whole front of bottem 1/2 of air box and cover up the side space from engine bay...

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT

POWERED BY VISA MASTERCARD AND MORE VISA
(And now a mortgage extension)

Disclaimer :

: Anything that seems or sounds illegal is all in my head and due to an over active imagination... :
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
XR6Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_xr8_ute
ON the cheap...
CUt a large 4 inch hole in the front of the air box just below you panel filter.
PI$$ off the piece of plastic between radiator and head ligh and feed ducting through.

Or just cut whole front of bottem 1/2 of air box and cover up the side space from engine bay...
Does this actually increase performance?
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 09:31 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_xr8_ute
ON the cheap...

Hey , thats basically what i did , i wrote it all in a tread calld "OMG , It made a small difference" .. and it did too ! - i got rid of the small plastic flap between the grill and lights and ran the pipes to behind the grill from there , worked a treat , allthough i hadn't seen it done anywhere else before i did it , i just happened to try it after trial and error and getting to much heat from behing the lights of a night with lights on when drawing the air from behind the lights .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 09:33 PM   #10
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Stu
not much slight fuel improvement + sounds good which = more right boot so you can listen to it = fuel worse than before :nutsycuck
lol whoosha

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #11
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
not much slight fuel improvement + sounds good which = more right boot so you can listen to it = fuel worse than before :nutsycuck
lol whoosha
Thats a good way to put it ! - spot on ..lol

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:40 PM   #12
xr8ute
Back on the road

You could completely cut the front off the standard airbox :

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 12:40 AM   #13
xd5.8l
Banned

Mate I've got a beaut little set up on mine. Pull the guard lining off and you'll see the charcoal cannister. Next to it you have a channel in the chassis rail (impact absorbing section). No get a 50mm bit of pipe and fit it in the channel. Mark with a pin punch were you need to cut out the hole in the sheet metal below the air box. Once thats done cut the hole from top.
Now put air box back and push pipe up against box through hole in sheetmetal to mark out were hole in box needs to be cut. Once thats done you'll need two 30 cm pieces of pipe, 90 degree pipe connection, gutter adaptor pipe/something with big mouth. Fit it around the charcoal cannister and into the side air duct in bumper.
Times speak for themselves but I think its more driver ability/luck then anything else.
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #14
Kev_BLNXR8_Ute
Hmm Project XW VAN !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Stu

Yes it worked.
I did that not long after I bought my AU (XR8 ute 200kw) along with a K&N and it was enough to keep Whoosha at bay....UNtill he snuck a K&N in and didnt tell me......

Yella Terra Supercharged

Power Output?
ENOUGH TO BREAK EVERY THING MORE TIMES THAN I CARE TO COUNT