Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: GWM Ute..anyone looked at them closely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I wonder how many Mitsubishi Express vans are still on the road
ah you mean the Renault clone..widow maker...and now if AEB is going to be mandatory for a 5 star rating it would probably get a negative star rating.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 13-11-2021 at 08:42 AM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2021, 10:31 PM   #2
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

robotic quality V Bazza doing weekend cash jobs
Old 13-11-2021, 10:48 PM   #3
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
robotic quality V Bazza doing weekend cash jobs
Yeah and I reckon we have all seen robot welding where the weld has completely missed one side of the join.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2021, 10:33 PM   #4
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Why would you when you can buy a new Triton with 10 years warranty and better resale. That and the Chinese government are **** and are sending some Australians broke. Would rather walk.

Last edited by GasoLane; 13-11-2021 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Don't try to avoid the censor
Eaturbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2021, 05:32 PM   #5
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
Why would you when you can buy a new Triton with 10 years warranty and better resale. That and the Chinese government are **** and are sending some Australians broke. Would rather walk.
Because the equivalent Triton is around $12,000 more expensive, and I don’t believe they come with sports bars as standard so have to add more on to match the GWM spec. You’re not going to get that back in the difference in trade in values.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #6
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

We have started getting these to replace our 2017 VF SV6 wagons. I asked to keep my wagon. We had one for a week to test...... We lost parts off it during that week, the front covers on the roof bars just fell off along the M1
8 speed auto is great but it doesn't know what gear it should be in constantly changing gears at 60kph hunting for the right one. I expect to have a lot of gearbox issues in the 4 years we will have them. You would reckon at 60 it would be calibrated to stay in 6th but no it wants to go to 8 and then kick down to 6th then repeat. We also had an LDV for a week it was much the same the Boss is buying these on price he has learned nothing from the Renault traffic vans our installers (3) use they are a steaming POS those things. But they were cheap....
As for resale the post above makes me laugh the chinese ute is cheap to buy new, will be worth SFA at trade/resal time.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2021, 05:35 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
We have started getting these to replace our 2017 VF SV6 wagons. I asked to keep my wagon. We had one for a week to test...... We lost parts off it during that week, the front covers on the roof bars just fell off along the M1
8 speed auto is great but it doesn't know what gear it should be in constantly changing gears at 60kph hunting for the right one. I expect to have a lot of gearbox issues in the 4 years we will have them. You would reckon at 60 it would be calibrated to stay in 6th but no it wants to go to 8 and then kick down to 6th then repeat. We also had an LDV for a week it was much the same the Boss is buying these on price he has learned nothing from the Renault traffic vans our installers (3) use they are a steaming POS those things. But they were cheap....
As for resale the post above makes me laugh the chinese ute is cheap to buy new, will be worth SFA at trade/resal time.
Thanks for sharing those thoughts and initial experience.
So I’m wondering what the difference in monthly payments would be between
the GWM Ute and one of the other Thai Utes. If they’re leased, there’s a guaranteed
buy back price at the end of the term……parts already dropping off isn’t a good sign…..

Interesting comments on the gearbox hunting, definitely report this if it persists
as they should have a software upgrade if everyone complains loud enough
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2024, 03:38 PM   #8
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Dont break a headlight, grille, Bumper, etc, ordered parts January this year, just recieved them Today.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-06-2024, 04:11 PM   #9
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

sounds like they are following Insurance companies stratergy, don't honour anything unless the customer keeps being a pest over the months till they go away.

Good luck mate, sounds like a absolute cluster F, having to strip everything off is a joke but thats the game they expect you to play.

prktkljokr, yer I know your a beater from memory.
Seems anything chinese branded has way longer wait lead times than some other marques.
My silly neighbour has a BYD, got side scrapped many many months ago, still waiting on his beater recieving parts.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2024, 04:55 PM   #10
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post

prktkljokr, yer I know your a beater from memory.
Seems anything chinese branded has way longer wait lead times than some other marques.
My silly neighbour has a BYD, got side scrapped many many months ago, still waiting on his beater recieving parts.
Yep currently have about 13 Chinese cars waiting for parts, it seems they dont stock anything, so you have to order, they give you a bull crap estimate on when you will see it, then they pencil it in when they next manufacturer the part that you need one, if you are lucky you might see it within months, but its like playing lotto, 3 - 4 months is the norm.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2024, 05:21 PM   #11
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Anyone had any experience with SsangYong? The Musso seems like a better deal at the moment than the Chinese if in the market for a 'budget' ute.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2024, 06:35 PM   #12
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Anyone had any experience with SsangYong? The Musso seems like a better deal at the moment than the Chinese if in the market for a 'budget' ute.
I know the older ones had problems with injectors or glow plugs seizing into the head, apart from them being ugly back then, they were reliable
Old 07-06-2024, 07:07 PM   #13
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
I know the older ones had problems with injectors or glow plugs seizing into the head, apart from them being ugly back then, they were reliable
Don't they just run a Hyundai 2.2 now? My parents have almost 500000km on their Santa Fe and it's only done a turbo in that time.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2024, 07:31 PM   #14
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post

Yep and amongst other quality issues - and doubt their service to customer would be anything to test.
Why bother when there are other options.
Want a cheap reliable and numbered servicing options and parts go Triton.
Not Chinese money but at least it’s a known qty and cheapest of the main brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2024, 06:43 PM   #15
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep and amongst other quality issues - and doubt their service to customer would be anything to test.
Not Chinese money but at least it’s a known qty and cheapest of the main brands.

That was very true up until MR. The new MV is no longer a straight up bargain.
Old 09-06-2024, 08:58 PM   #16
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

My old man picked up a Triton GLS (whish is one roughly XLT Spec) in 2019 (i think, might of been late 2018) for $40k D/a in manual. Was $42k with the 3 pce hard cover and tub liner. He still has it and its light years ahead of the Chinese stuff, and still has more power and torque than the GWM Ute. That model was always the value buy of the segment. New one, apparently not so much which is a shame...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2024, 07:00 PM   #17
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

How do they stack up against Hilux Ranger model to model now ?
Surely they are not to those levels but I’ll look into it unless you can already advise.

Old 09-06-2024, 07:34 PM   #18
Rastas

Quote:
Surely they are not to those levels but I’ll look into it unless you can already advise.

Well there's a BYD Shark ute coming soon with superior everything and a 5.7 0 to 100 , so put that on your shopping list also.
Rastas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2024, 08:55 PM   #19
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

On Carsales, a brand new MV GLS (standard, non Deluxe option) is listed from $63,670 DA (Vic), where a Ranger XLT Bi Turbo ranges from $69k to just under $72k. For the sake of $6-7k personally I’d be cross shopping the two, where as with the MR some models were $9k cheaper.

To go by MLP, a GLS is $59,090, where as an XLT Bi Turbo goes for $63,640.

Last edited by Adamz Ghia; 09-06-2024 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:13 AM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
“I looked at one with my wife”, “I looked at one yesterday” lol

I actually looked at them myself and drove one, they are no Ford Ranger or Hilux.

No serious tradesman or off-road driver would buy one of these ****boxes.
Lol, let me spell it out for you sweetheart, i'll go slow for you.

My Wife and i had a brief look at them 3 weeks ago while we were away for the weekend, we can do that here in SA, lol.
The dealership was closing so we didn't have time to test drive it but sat in it to see how it felt and had a quick look around it, i mentioned this in another thread.
I did a bit of research and as luck would have it, the dealer is actually a customer of the company i now work for and last week i had to go there on work related business so i asked for a brochure.

Yesterday i was in the area on my lunch break so i had a bit more time, i had a better look around and quizzed the salesman on some of the things id discovered, what he said was pretty much what independent reviewers had said, there was no BS.
Its 42k driveaway, it is what it is, the company is keen to build its reputation, they dont 'all do that', lol.

I was offered a test drive which i declined due to time and wanting my Wife with me as it'll be a joint purchase so we are going back Saturday afternoon as they said we can take the demo X model for a good run to see if it will do what we want.

Today i wandered into a toyota yard as they had another extracab and i was keen to compare the price against the one i mentioned a few posts ago, whilst discussing my budget with him he asked if id considered the GW ute, i said yes but wasnt sure about reliability and the brand, he said the inside word is they are extremely keen to provide customer satisfaction, this from a guy who doesnt even sell them.

Im not a tradesman or serious offroader, i just want to tow my 1700kg van with it which it will do, apart from that it'll be doing what 90% of every other dualcab does, putts around suburbia.

Will we buy one, i don't know, its still early in our search so that remains to be seen but its certainly hilarious to see how triggered you are to want to post in a thread about a vehicle you don't rate.
For the record, i don't care what you think.

Enjoy!

Last edited by BENT_8; 01-10-2021 at 12:23 AM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post