Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-04-2006, 05:08 PM   #1
realor

Default what sort of diff do I need?

Hey well I have some issues with the diff on my AU II Xl ute, it whines at about 80k's and seems to be getting worse... it looks like it leaks as well. The previous owner said the diff is on the way out and might need replacing soon.

My question is how do I know what sort I need to get? I want to go to a wrecker or have a look on the sale forum on here but I dunno much about them so I need to make sure I get the right one, it's an auto, 6cyl, 1 tonne trayback.

How easy is it to swap the diff? I would do it myself if it's not too hard I have the service manual here somewhere I'll check in that also.

cheers

realor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
mattsAU1

service manual will help alot and not too difficult to replace if u have a friend who is willing to give u a hand with the lifting and what not, as for what type, it depends on what ur plans for the ute are?
if u just want it to go and be reliable, get the part number off the diff currently in ur ute and just give it to the wrecker u decide to go through and u should end up with a diff that is exactly the same as ur original one. Check around, prices can differ alot, jump on the fern tree gully auto wreckers site at top of this page and see what they have in stock, if they haven't got anything im sure they will be happy to point u in the right direction
mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 05:39 PM   #3
stiddy
Banned

Just get it replaced with an LSD 3.45ratio out of an XR6 or 8.. would probably work out the same price as getting the old one rebuilt.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post