Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-08-2020, 10:05 PM   #31
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Early territory’s disappearing?

You wouldn’t buy new door rubbers just for shrinkage, better to chop in a length and make it fit better than new.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 10:16 PM   #32
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
According to a Wikipedia article, 178.214 Territory were sold new in Australia. (SX,SY, SZ total).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Territory_(Australia)

According to the safety website, currently licensed in Australia:
Territory SX: Oct2019: 28555. June2020: 27264
Territory SY: Oct2019: 68293. June2020: 66763
Territory SZ: Oct2019: 64595. June2020: 64690

That is a total of 158.717 currently with plates on in Aus. (June 2020)

That is actually 89% of the Territory vehicles still around with plates!

Export numbers haven't been accounted for in the numbers above. Apparently 12000 were sold new in New Zealand, and 2300 in South Africa.

I was surprised the percentage was so high, as I have seen many at the wreckers lately without damage, just the list of issues making them uneconomical to keep on the road.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2020, 10:44 PM   #33
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
Hi,
According to a Wikipedia article, 178.214 Territory were sold new in Australia. (SX,SY, SZ total).

Export numbers haven't been accounted for in the numbers above. Apparently 12000 were sold new in New Zealand, and 2300 in South Africa.

I was surprised the percentage was so high, as I have seen many at the wreckers lately without damage, just the list of issues making them uneconomical to keep on the road.

Cheers,

That is surprising all right, seems so many are being wrecked.

This is typical of the ones I’ve been seeing for sale. Price wise this ones actually better priced than some private sales I’ve looked at.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9997241376423/
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-08-2020, 11:01 PM   #34
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That bloody true lot of territory and falcon retiring at early age heading toward graveyard.Too many poor quality, undersize . dirt**** cheap rubber suspension bushes need replacement more often ,cost more than cars what is worth is biggest mistake by Australian ford Company failing by not looking after customer's welfare and his motor vehicle as got a friend telling me that her brother in law had to strip the territory apart at home and selling parts online as not worth repairing sady so good nes still got my old 1995 triton ute almost nothing to spend except oil change service, tyres and second hand front seat has done 415000 km and still running as soon clutch and gearbox need overhaul and still spending money on repairing my 08 AWD turbo territory as not buying any supero or northlane suspension parts never again still don't last as long so therefore i have decided now i will making my own two front diff bushes (nearly finish ) that will last many years without failing and over next fews months will be replacing failing rear diff supero bushes myself as car only done 260km
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2020, 11:38 PM   #35
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi,

Cheers,
Yes that is surprising. The Territory is a far more flexible package than the Falcon in these days of SUVs as family cars, and it's got a bit of poke too. You can get them cheap so I reckon quite a few people take them on as a first family car on a low budget. 89% is pretty good.
Old 21-08-2020, 12:20 AM   #36
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolly47 View Post
That bloody true lot of territory and falcon retiring at early age heading toward graveyard.Too many poor quality, undersize . dirt**** cheap rubber suspension bushes need replacement more often ,cost more than cars what is worth is biggest mistake by Australian ford Company failing by not looking after customer's welfare and his motor vehicle as got a friend telling me that her brother in law had to strip the territory apart at home and selling parts online as not worth repairing sady so good nes still got my old 1995 triton ute almost nothing to spend except oil change service, tyres and second hand front seat has done 415000 km and still running as soon clutch and gearbox need overhaul and still spending money on repairing my 08 AWD turbo territory as not buying any supero or northlane suspension parts never again still don't last as long so therefore i have decided now i will making my own two front diff bushes (nearly finish ) that will last many years without failing and over next fews months will be replacing failing rear diff supero bushes myself as car only done 260km
Should of kept the watts link!
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 03:46 AM   #37
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolly47 View Post
Too many poor quality, undersize . dirt (sh*t?) cheap rubber suspension bushes need replacement more often ,cost more than cars what is worth is biggest mistake by Australian ford Company failing by not looking after customer's welfare and his motor vehicle
Agree the front-end ball joints on SX and early SY should have been designed stronger. Ford realized that too, and it got re-designed for SYII onwards.

Diff-bushings also. Base-models shouldn't have split diff-bushings after as little as from 50k km. (Performance models needing some bushings is more expected).

Other than that, my view is that Territory has been quite good value for the $~40k to 45k one was priced at when new. If comparing with an X5 the buyer would have paid nearly double for that, and that vehicle would have had a much higher finance cost and depreciation.
A few new bushings can be installed on a Territory compared with a more expensive vehicle.

However, my work colleague had a 2011 Toyota Kluger, top spec, that he had bought new, and he sold it a year ago with a whopping 160k km on the odometer. He got close to $20k when he advertised it privately, and a wholesale dealer came to buy it of him. The Kluger with full spec would have costed more when it was new, but he never had any problems with it, (only oil changes and brake pads since new). And he got a lot more for it than a Territory would have given him, so perhaps that overall was better value.

Cheers
4 users like this post:
Old 21-08-2020, 09:21 AM   #38
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That era Kluger/Aurion had a known vvt oil hose issue which would split and dump all the oil within a couple of minutes.
It was only a TSB and Toyota wouldn't replace the engine if it blew despite it being a well known fault.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #39
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
FYI, I just queried trade-in price on our 2006 Territory (for a 2017 Mustang).
$1500

With suspension work recently done (doesnt matter)
The only answer is to run it into the ground.
my 05 had an aftermarket touchscreen & GPS 20" wheels, bushes had all been done a year earlier

makes no difference they just plug the year & kilometres into glass guide or similar
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #40
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

However, my work colleague had a 2011 Toyota Kluger, top spec, that he had bought new, and he sold it a year ago with a whopping 160k km on the odometer. He got close to $20k when he advertised it privately, and a wholesale dealer came to buy it of him. The Kluger with full spec would have costed more when it was new, but he never had any problems with it, (only oil changes and brake pads since new). And he got a lot more for it than a Territory would have given him, so perhaps that overall was better value.

Cheers
Yep, future resale compels in the direction of Toyota, it is what it is.
Old 21-08-2020, 05:07 PM   #41
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Other than that, my view is that Territory has been quite good value for the $~40k to 45k one was priced at when new. If comparing with an X5 the buyer would have paid nearly double for that, and that vehicle would have had a much higher finance cost and depreciation.
A few new bushings can be installed on a Territory compared with a more expensive vehicle.
In that price range today and a bit lower, petrol, and going Japanese for resale, SUV that can do snow and preferably can be in AWD before you hit the first patch of ice, I can see

Mazda CX5 Touring - about 43K, AWD on demand, no manual AWD switch though latest update has manual rear diff lock?, best handling and interior
Subaru Outback 2.5i - about 41K, full time AWD but CVT
Mazda CX5 Maxx Sport - about 41K, ditto setup as Touring
Subaru Forester 2.5i - about 38K, ditto setup as Outback, a bit smaller
Toyota RAV4 GX Hybrid - about 44K, interesting AWD setup, small rear electric motor, I believe there's a manual AWD switch?
Subaru XV 2.0i - 33K, smaller car but has full time AWD and decent clearance

I'd be really interested to see if the latest Mazda update with the rear diff lock option is actually locking the car into AWD and sending power to all 4 wheels via manual selection. RAV4 can, I think, under 40km/h which is fine getting underway in the snow on cold or blizzardy days.
Old 21-08-2020, 05:22 PM   #42
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a really good comparison of AWD types, done in the US:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-TQdIqFvZo

"AWD Showdown: Subaru Forester vs. Honda CR-V vs. Toyota RAV4 | Consumer Reports"

Not all are equal, and the petrol AWD Territory with full time 38:62 split will be a hard act to follow, with the Suby the best replacement.
Old 21-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #43
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is quite a difference in value for example for the 2009 / 2010 models:

Kluger around 20k even now during COVID..

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/?q=...).)&sort=Price

Territory 2009 / 2010 for about 1/3rd of that:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/?q=....)&sort=~Price

And as discussed in this thread, there are lots of older, cheaper Territories also for sale, if including year 2004 to 2010:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/?q=....)&sort=~Price

Plus some absolute dreamers.. 16.5k for a year 2005 non-turbo RWD !
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...D-149848/?Cr=1

Or what about this dreamer: 30k for a 2011 Kluger 2WD !
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-4244498/?Cr=0

Cheers,
Old 22-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #44
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
That is surprising all right, seems so many are being wrecked.

This is typical of the ones I’ve been seeing for sale. Price wise this ones actually better priced than some private sales I’ve looked at.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9997241376423/
I think the point happy was making is that sure, ~1,300 SX Territorys were deregistered since
October 2019 so you would notice plenty in wreckers while over 27,000 are still registered.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2020, 07:39 PM   #45
Trendseeker

Quote:
Territory SZ: Oct2019: 64595. June2020: 64690,
It is surprising that the number of registered SZ models increased by 95 units in that period. They stopped making them in 2016 didn’t they?
Old 22-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
It is surprising that the number of registered SZ models increased by 95 units in that period. They stopped making them in 2016 didn’t they?
Just an anomaly with recording vehicle registrations that are allowed to lapse, maybe to wholesalers
who then sell them and registrations increase.

Last edited by jpd80; 22-08-2020 at 08:21 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2020, 02:57 AM   #47
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Yep you guys have the goods on them, it's the cost of repairs vs the value of the car, most will get scrapped.

Our 2007 SY has the roof lining falling in, the orange foam deterioration behind this that Citroenbender mentions. Rear door rubbers have shrunk I've just discovered. (2 x $130 on fleabay) Other than a bit of the leather scuffing the interior is OK. Coastal car is rusty. We did the bushes with Nolathane which gave it a bit of a harder ride, if the kids marry into a family that owns a suspension business, I will have them done back to rubber as the ride/handling was amazing with that. ZF has had fluid changed 2 times iirc, still goes. It's not worth much at all, but it's been a brilliant car. It's greatest moment was up at Hotham in 2018 when temps fell below -10 (to a record - someone got busted adjusting a NSW station from -12 or so back up to -10 in that event!) and the new Euro diesels had the fuel freeze in their lines. The good 'ol (still unopened) 11 year old petrol I6 AWD fired up into life first go, and full time AWD didn't need chains that day, so it was a very easy, pleasant trip up from Dinner Plain to the slopes for some amazing unmarked powder on the first run of the day. When the Terry took us home after some food and drinks at the end of the day, the poor mechanics were still blowing out frozen diesel lines with these gas cannister looking things...

At $1500 value on a good day, I'm tempted to keep the old girl and begin fixing her up, so that she may shine again, vintage, in the snow one day.

Such a shame the petrol I6 AWD wasn't continued up until 2016
One budget repair I can assist with. Cut said door rubbers at the bottom under the sill plate to make them go around the door again. Get hold of another said shrunk seal from a wrecker and cut a piece to size to fill in the hole. Bit of glue and your sorted.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #48
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys, does this also work with the 2 rear tailgate rubbers?
Old 24-08-2020, 09:22 PM   #49
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently otherwise healthy male animals that have their testicles removed, live on average longer than their neutered brethren.
A bit like Toyotas I suppose.
Old 24-08-2020, 09:47 PM   #50
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Apparently otherwise healthy male animals that have their testicles removed, live on average longer than their neutered brethren.
A bit like Toyotas I suppose.

Random post of the month...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-08-2020, 09:54 PM   #51
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Thanks guys, does this also work with the 2 rear tailgate rubbers?
I intend to make it work for me!

Can’t comment on the neutering, would have definitely saved me money, tears and the odd broken snout but longevity can’t be monitored in parallel with a “control” life tracking your own..
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post