Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Question B&M Quick Shifter for the AU ??????

Hi guys , Just wondering if anyone knows of a model B&M quick shifter than will match the auII xr6 auto and even if a bit of DIY needed to make it fit the console is np ( so long as the souround for the auto's base is at least a tadd larger than the original) as i want it too look clean and no gaps etc etc.
I originally had a B&M megashifter hooked up in my XE to my Ford Fiad/Fiod (AOD pattern) 4speed auto when thay first come out nearlly 15 years ago.
They were a great shifter, I loved the ratched effect where the shifter position was allways in the same position no matter weather you was in 1st,2nd,3rd or 4th - awesome - never sliped or missed a gear. I'de really love one in my AU thats for sure ! , any help would be greatlly appreaciated, I've checked the B&M website but i can't seem to find anything to fit in the au's/xr's ...
help plzzzzzz ???????????????? lol .... ???

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wouldn't mind one also

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

what are they exactly :|
Old 08-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Even if someone has the specs & name of the automatic transmission in the auII xr6 vct (it's the adaptive shift tranny) ???????? , if i can get at least these details then i might be able to work out something compatible ... cheers , any help appreciated ?????

Old 08-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

have a look at them , http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products , check out the automatic shifters / quick shifters.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #6
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They arent made to suit the au 4 speed but may be able to modded to suit. I think they only suit hydraulic boxes which the ford boxes arent.

They would have no benefit other than looking cool in an EA onwards ford.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
They arent made to suit the au 4 speed but may be able to modded to suit. I think they only suit hydraulic boxes which the ford boxes arent.

They would have no benefit other than looking cool in an EA onwards ford.
exactelly the same problem i had years ago ! - i had to mod a 3 speed shifter to work the 4 speed box ! , was a trick to the shifting pattern to get the whole 4 gears manually , was a bugger to convert , that was years ago now , i thought they would of come up with something propper for the 4 speed auto by now

Old 08-03-2006, 10:16 PM   #8
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

oh , and yeah the old Ford fiad/fiod 4 speed auto was a hydraulic box ! , was originally out of a mustang from the usa the tranny i had.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:22 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Just to mention , they are an older tranny nower days but they were strong as hell , never gave me any problems and bolted straight up to the cleveland v8 np, the auto use the bar push methos , ( not a cable ) - to get it to change gears correctlly in drive too the bar had to be hooked directelly to the throttle arm on the carby ( no slack - same push on the bar according to amount of throttle given ) - within the first year of owning that tranny (and it was new in those days to anyway) , no-one knew nothing about 4 speed autos , i had it to every transmission place under the sun and no-one could set it right , it used to slip from 1'st to 2'nd (didnt jump into next gear ) - the end of that year ii nearlly sold the tranny then thought bugger it ill have a go myself , and found the right setting for the bar to the carby - problem solved, and was sweet from then on

Old 09-03-2006, 12:00 AM   #10
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty sure the Megashifter can be used on a 4 speed transmission. I know it can be used on two and three speed, you add/remove screws to lock out/open gates and change the PRND21 window with the supplied spares.
Your main issue will be making a bracket for the shifter cable to operate the BTR linkage, and the big hole in the trans tunnel will need covering.

I've had a Megashifter in a previous car and it was a great shifter.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

The AU Auto changes gears electronically, whats the point of having a quick shifter?

May as well just remover the shifter all together and have buttons on the dash or steering wheel..

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:57 AM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
The AU Auto changes gears electronically, whats the point of having a quick shifter?

May as well just remover the shifter all together and have buttons on the dash or steering wheel..

Aaaaahhhhhh , ty ! - This is a reason why i wanted to know what tranny is in the auII xr6's (with adaptive shift). I was thinking maybe some park was going to be electronic because of the 3 shift modes selectable from 1st, 2nd and 3rd , but i didnt realize the whole tranny was electronic ! .. thanks .. in that case , it would be good to hook something up to be able to use the volume + and - controls on the steering wheel for manual gear changes, insert some sort of switch to overide the buttons as volume controls and use them as stated. I just hate the fact that if manual shifting with the auto your t-bar ends up in all positions, and they arent really the best t-bar setup for using manually when they slip into the next gear so easily . Does anyone know a link to info on the tranny in the au xr6's please ??????

Old 09-03-2006, 09:03 AM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

What you are after is the same as what the T series cars have. Gear selection via buttons on the steering wheel.

One of the members on here is currently creating a conversion kit for AU's to allow this to be fitted to current cars. JC put me onto him and we are all now waiting patiently for him to perfect the conversion.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #14
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

excellent , couldn't be too hard to convert if its in the T-series anyway , might look into this myself then too , thanks ;) .

Old 09-03-2006, 09:40 AM   #15
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

even better , just found this thread http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=7564

Old 09-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #16
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
even better , just found this thread http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=7564
That was an excellent thread ! - a BA Shifter mod usable for any any of the later ford 4 speed autos .... by reading this thread i also answered my own question too..lol, now i know a bit more about how the auto in the au 4 speed works now i can see there is plenty of b&m quick shifters that could be easilly modded to work (they do make electronic shifters nowerdays). Thanks for all the help anyways guys , it all lead me to the link i found ;) .

Old 09-03-2006, 11:46 PM   #17
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I know the AU uses electronics to change gears. So does my EL. But it still has a shifter with gates for each gear and a linkage does it not...

So, I was mearly posting that a B&M shifter could be fitted, and connected, and work like the current shifter, with one plus- you can't skip a gear and you can't miss Drive and hit Neutral when shifting through the gates.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 AM   #18
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
I know the AU uses electronics to change gears. So does my EL. But it still has a shifter with gates for each gear and a linkage does it not...

So, I was mearly posting that a B&M shifter could be fitted, and connected, and work like the current shifter, with one plus- you can't skip a gear and you can't miss Drive and hit Neutral when shifting through the gates.
yep ;) - and after reading that thread for a BA shifter and realising b&m have 4 speed electronic quick shifters now (with 4 speeds on the display / not a 3 speed display modded to 4 speed changing !) , I think i'd still prefer the quickshifter over a BA shifter , those b&m shifters were awesome - they took a real bashing no worries , slamming into each gear not a problem - looks like the mod i'll be doing while supercharging too ..

Old 10-03-2006, 02:38 AM   #19
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
What you are after is the same as what the T series cars have. Gear selection via buttons on the steering wheel.

One of the members on here is currently creating a conversion kit for AU's to allow this to be fitted to current cars. JC put me onto him and we are all now waiting patiently for him to perfect the conversion.
Sssshhhhhhh....
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 02:40 AM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

XR6-VCT-2000, you missed this thread on the BA shifter into an AU:
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=29346
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 09:15 AM   #21
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I think i'de still prefer the quickshifter anyway. After a bit of thought - i couldnt see the buttons on the steering wheel not lasting long if using them for gear changing , i have also noticed when changing volume etc that these buttons aren't really the most accurate either ( sometimes have 2 press more than once - like dirt in the contacts or something ). And being what im like when in rev head mode - i have a tendancy to slam through the gears, something the b&m can put up with np without missing a beat....besides that the ratchet motion with the t-bar allways remains in the 1 spot regardless of weather your in 1st,2nd,3rd or 4th(d) - excellent , they look nice too if installed properlly. I dont mind changing gears witht the t-bar even if it is electronic shift, just so long as it isn't with the standard t-bar setup.