Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-03-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
antilooped

Default built ford tough (well so they say)

Hey guys,

well i got the pedal box out today, took me a couple of hours, got it out found a nasty surprise (see pictures) that clutch bar is holding on by an absolute thread. Cracked all the way around im so lucky i got to it now, rather than 100k/hr and the pedal rips off :(

They gonna charge me $86 for a new box so should be okay... Now i gotta get it back in! eek!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_1313.jpg (116.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 000_1316.jpg (71.2 KB, 137 views)
Old 07-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #2
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

wow, man... that should be an alarming thing for all AU manual owners!!!!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 09:43 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yeah, mines a manual, i think it might be happening too.

How hard was it to get the box out?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 09:49 PM   #4
XR6Stu

Mines a manual and it did happen to me. I was in Geelong ( I live in Bendigo) when my clutch pedal snapped off under my foot. 4 hours later, and much dodgy gear changes, Im back home and not happy! Mines occured aorund the 180,000 ish mark.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

oh man...
how did you manage to drive like that stu?
If the pedal snapped off.... how did you shift??
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
xd5.8l
Banned

I recommemd all AU owners to weld a thick metal strip/rod from one end of the box to the other where the fulcrum bolt swivells. This will box the structure off and make it more rigid (eliminate flex). What were they thinking using body panel steel to support a cable operated clutch system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
oh man...
how did you manage to drive like that stu?
If the pedal snapped off.... how did you shift??
It is possible to drive a manual car without a clutch.
Bunnyhop it into first gear by starting the car in-gear and then just kinda clunk it in to the next gears. Did it in my old Galant with a fully loaded trailer behind it also. :nutsycuck
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
antilooped

great idea xd ill prob do that, but im not sure how hard that will make it to get the box back in.

Peuty -> took me 2 hours, i went to the self serve wreckers and removed one out of an old AU taxi as preparation, but its hard to get in a undo the bolts, you need a good set of tools, and a load of patience, just undo all the nuts you can see, lower the steering column so the wheel rests on your front seat, then disconnect the clutch pedal, remove it, do the same for the brake, then work the box around until you can find a space to get it out, this stage is the most time consuming coz the looms get in the way, but ull get it with patience. Dont forget to d/c the battery - you dont want any airbags bursting if you knock something too hard under there!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I wouldn't get a replacement one - it will be just as weak as the original. You are better off getting that one welded, and supported as suggested above.

And who says autos are crap?!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
And who says autos are crap?!
Me, still.

Looks like I have some fun times ahead of me.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 11:04 PM   #11
DENKO
Bseries hardcore

hey is it all au's?? or just series 1? because i have a series 2 s pack manual
BF MKII XR8, 13.8 @ 107mph
BA MKII F6 TYPHOON
BA MKII XR6 TURBO

BF MKII F6 TYPHOON R-spec, 13.2 @ 109 mph [LTHLF-6]
PX Ranger WILDTRAK
DENKO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 11:14 PM   #12
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

just weld a big X accross the back of the pin :> THere weak as ИИИИ
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 11:15 PM   #13
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Any AU manual can have this problem occur.

It goes back to E series cars I think - whenever Ford changed the clutch system.

Mine had the firewall split but my pedal box is yet to be welded up. Its a b@stard.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 11:17 PM   #14
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

been the same since XD/XF...
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 11:25 PM   #15
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

E series has the same prob also including the cracked firewall.
Mine had both and i can tell your not a fool mate, just get it welded n braced and you wont look back.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 11:28 PM   #16
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

get a washer thats bigger than the original welded pivot, insert over and fully weld inside n outside, turn over and to the exact same thing.
no dramas and the pedal still fits , just need to take off 2mm with a file from the plastic bushes
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #17
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Hmm on seeing that I will definitely checking mine - & expecting to find similar because the clutch pedal is on a bit of an angle
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 09:17 AM   #18
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Makes you wonder how they pass these things through roadworthy from factory sometimes ! - thats a real cheap and nasy efford by Ford imo , lucky you got to when you did or yeah it does look like it was about to snap off. Cheap nasty stuff like that 'should' (unfortunatelly its not though) be covered by Ford on any of their cars like that , second hand or new until the problem has been rectified. It's strange how over the years - for most road cars the automatic transmissions have improved heaps but the manual designs haven't really changed a bit ! - still old issues like this with manuals and also frying clutches, poppin out of gears etc etc .
Personally unless you like pushing the clutch all day or doing a ripper burnout, i can't really see much point to a manual these days, since the first 4 speed autos out by ford ( the Ford Fiad 4 speed auto ) which i owned 1 too in my XE , I have driven all my 4 speed auto's like a manual without any dramas or damage to the auto ... allthough alot of the old 3 speed autos (borg warner etc etc) i lost Reverse, 1st and 2nd gear in a few autos ..lol.. But the manual / auto thing is still a personal choice - so whatever/whichever you please ;) .
Good to see you got to that problem before it got any worse anyway.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #19
tufLTD
tufLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by antilooped
Hey guys,

well i got the pedal box out today, took me a couple of hours, got it out found a nasty surprise (see pictures) that clutch bar is holding on by an absolute thread. Cracked all the way around im so lucky i got to it now, rather than 100k/hr and the pedal rips off :(

They gonna charge me $86 for a new box so should be okay... Now i gotta get it back in! eek!
A common problem with EA to EL Falcons. Seems they haven't sorted it out with the AU's!
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #20
Lumpen Proletariat

The same thing has happened with the EB XR8 I've just bought although it's been re-welded and then crack along the (poor quality?) welds. The clutch pedal is very skew-iff now.

Can you please tell me where you are getting a pedal box for $86? It's not new for that price is it? The mechanic rang Ford in Grafton and they was $350 for the privledge and I emailed a friend who words at Ford spare parts in Canberra and he said they're just over $200. Unless thats for pedals and all too?

Wouldn't mind some help, part numbers, prices what have you please!

This one I will get re-enforced and braced from the get go!

Cheers,
Brendan

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 06:30 PM   #21
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It's not a Ford thing guys .... have seen this on several different model vehicles ... what makes it fail quicker is having an uprated clutch as well with a stiffer pedal feel.

I have seen this happen on Mitsus and Toyotas before
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #22
XR6Stu

"It is possible to drive a manual car without a clutch.
Bunnyhop it into first gear by starting the car in-gear and then just kinda clunk it in to the next gears. Did it in my old Galant with a fully loaded trailer behind it also" thatgs the one. Most of the drive wasnt too bad, just comin thru some of the smaller town and trying to down shift by knocking itinto nuetral, then revving the motor to the correct RPM for the gear I wanted. As for an up shift, allyou do is pop it out of gear, and hold firm, bot not harsh pressure, and as the RPm drop to the correct point, it was slip into gear. Goof fun for something to do wehen feeling lazy, but not good when your trying to get home ona dark night with a road full of traffic!
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #23
blue terra
au=gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by antilooped
Hey guys,

thats exactly what happened to mine last week. except mine came through the firewall. dropped it off to ford cos they were 2k away and it burnt the clutch out in that time.
and i did what olympus said to do start in gear. but i went 2nd cos i no it will pull and had no chance of changing gears.
blue terra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 10:29 PM   #24
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

your right , its not just a ford problem , but just because cheap cars have cheap setups , u'de think the au would at least have something a bit better for its price ! , and to uphold the Ford name.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 09:53 PM   #25
shepv8
V8's for ever

I just checked mine and and I think it may have already been welded, although I cant be sure cause its bloody hard to get right up and have a good look. I did notice a heap of flex in the box when you push the clutch with my hand. It definately needs bracing.
Are auto and manual pedal boxes the same????????
I dont like the chances of getting a manual AU pedal box from the wreckers.
If I get one I will get it strengthened and ready to go, just in case.
shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post