Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-06-2016, 06:59 PM   #31
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: How will Holden send off Aussie built commodore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Well that's precisely what Holden are desperately hoping for, but if you look at what's selling now it's an unlikely scenario. The percentage of Commodores sold today that are V8's is higher than ever before. Falcon XR8's and XR6T's are actually still selling at least in comparison to the rest of the range. What that tells me is that the only people who still want a large sedan type car are the performance buyers. Everyone else buys a duel cab tractor, SUV, or small hatch. So who is going to buy the Insignia based Commodore? A: Potentially anyone who buys V6 Commodores now, which is a pretty small group of buyers.
I would assume Holden will be chasing the Police market hard with the new Commodore.

The current Commodore sells heavily into fleets, including Police. The rest are for the nostalgic V8 performance models which are supposed to make up something like 60% of monthly volume.

Once fleets are no longer obliged to "buy local" and the V8 is no longer available, Commodore sales are going to tank BAD.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #32
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
But Holden knows that once the falcodores are gone, the "purists" have nowhere else to go for performance sedans.
S4
S5
S6
RS4
RS6

135i (just...)
M1
M2
M3
435i Gran Coupe
M5

C63 AMG

XE-S
XFR

Alfa Giulia

...that's just off the top of my head. These are mostly RWD and there will certainly be choice for "purists" once Holden and Falcon are gone, it's just going to cost a bit/lot more. As they said when the EBII S-XR6 was reviewed back in 1992, the car was aimed at a BMW buyer who did not necessarily have the means to the BMW...
Old 14-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #33
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
S4
S5
S6
RS4
RS6

135i (just...)
M1
M2
M3
435i Gran Coupe
M5

C63 AMG

XE-S
XFR

Alfa Giulia

...that's just off the top of my head. These are mostly RWD and there will certainly be choice for "purists" once Holden and Falcon are gone, it's just going to cost a bit/lot more. As they said when the EBII S-XR6 was reviewed back in 1992, the car was aimed at a BMW buyer who did not necessarily have the means to the BMW...
And how many Commodore buyers do you think can afford to buy those cars you mentioned?If we could afford an XFR, we'd already be buying them. Of course they're some who are badge loyalists, but they're a minority. Most V8 Commodore buyers buy a Commodore cause it's the only car in that segment that they can afford. I don't know about you, but going from a $50k Commo to a $100k+ euro is not such a small deal in my eyes.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2016, 10:41 PM   #34
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And how many Commodore buyers do you think can afford to buy those cars you mentioned?If we could afford an XFR, we'd already be buying them. Of course they're some who are badge loyalists, but they're a minority. Most V8 Commodore buyers buy a Commodore cause it's the only car in that segment that they can afford. I don't know about you, but going from a $50k Commo to a $100k+ euro is not such a small deal in my eyes.
That's very true, those cars are a huge step up in price and everything else - there will definitely be a lot of people with a dilemma when their VE or VF Commodore, or FG/FGX Fords are needing replacement. I think you'll find some will look to the second hand euro market, or keep what they have for longer than they usually would. When my VF is due for replacement I'm hoping to be able to step up into a Euro, maybe an E class or A4 wagon, but if not I'll probably just keep it till I can.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 12:02 PM   #35
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
YOu can't trademark common words (and probably place names either)
Actually you can, stupidly enough.

http://gizmodo.com/citigroup-is-suin...nks-1781753942

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #36
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have put in my order for the 7.0L SS ute.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #37
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Hope Ford makes a one-off new factory high performance Falcon GT HO concept with a shaker and stripes before production ends, just for fun and to make us drool and tug at our hearts, as we say goodbye to the Falcon.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #38
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's very true, those cars are a huge step up in price and everything else - there will definitely be a lot of people with a dilemma when their VE or VF Commodore, or FG/FGX Fords are needing replacement. I think you'll find some will look to the second hand euro market, or keep what they have for longer than they usually would. When my VF is due for replacement I'm hoping to be able to step up into a Euro, maybe an E class or A4 wagon, but if not I'll probably just keep it till I can.
What about Chrysler 300s? They're fairly reasonably priced, and they're probably the closest thing to a Falcodore on the market.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Old 15-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #39
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I wonder if people realise what a euro actually costs.

Had the brakes done on my Volvo recently. $3500.
Same job in a falcon/commodore is $500.

Blew a coil pack recently, one coil pack is more than a full set for holden/ford.
The phone system, only a measly $7000.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #40
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post

Blew a coil pack recently, one coil pack is more than a full set for holden/ford.
Dad has a Volvo S40. The metal road contraption that synchronises the wiper blades broke, and so the motor was only running one wiper. Part costs $60 from a wrecker for a Ford. For the Volvo it was either $260 from a wrecker or imported for $380 from Sweden as there was no stock in NZ. The wrecker part also took nearly a week to find and had to come all the way from the Blenheim.

Old 16-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #41
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I actually agree with you: when Aussie Falcon and Commodore performance is gone, that's realistically it for most people when it comes to performance sedans. The cars for "purists" do exist, they just cost 100K and a motza to service. (Watched my parents suffer this when buying Euro when we moved out from there). Most Aussies will be forced into a FWD juice box of small or medium variety, or the SUV version of it. Maybe the trend of front wheel drive drags will take off, like the Yanks do with their Malibus etc. Sad.

So people may not realise just what we are going to be losing.

So if we want to measure just what the Aussie motor industry is worth to us all, it's a perfomance sedan being 40K and affordable, vs being 100K and out of reach.
Old 16-06-2016, 07:32 PM   #42
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post

Yes well that's all part of the higher cost of buying and owning these types of cars, and something I would look into closely before jumping in but you have to wonder how many people don't bother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321
What about Chrysler 300s? They're fairly reasonably priced, and they're probably the closest thing to a Falcodore on the market.
Has to be a wagon. Australia got the first gen Chrysler 300 wagon but not the current one, if they even make them?
Old 16-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #43
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Has to be a wagon. Australia got the first gen Chrysler 300 wagon but not the current one, if they even make them?
They don't make them anymore. As far as wagons go, I'd definitely be looking at Subaru Legacys (You call them Libertys?) cause nobody does performance wagon better than Audi and Subaru. A flat 6 Legacy would be a pretty good replacement for a SV6 Wagon.

Old 16-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #44
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They don't make them anymore. As far as wagons go, I'd definitely be looking at Subaru Legacys (You call them Libertys?) cause nobody does performance wagon better than Audi and Subaru. A flat 6 Legacy would be a pretty good replacement for a SV6 Wagon.
not so much for a Calais V 6.0 V8 Wagon though

I think Subaru's high water mark is well behind them, the new models are just far too ugly for me to ever consider. Usually not an Audi fan either, but they do wagons so well.
Old 16-06-2016, 11:54 PM   #45
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When my 2014 Pursuit needs replacing I am truly stuffed,where am I going to get a supercharged V8 ute from.