Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-02-2016, 02:03 AM   #1
DaveDaGeek

Default Recommendations for a daily commuter

I'm doing some homework at the moment, looking for a second hand small car for daily driving duties to and from work, for up to the $10K mark. I don't want to drive the G6ET, as I want to keep the K's down and where I park, it will probably attract the wrong kind of attention.

I'm buying a house this year out towards Mandurah way and will need to commute to East Perth. Because of the hours I work, public transport won't work for me - I'm usually in around 5:00-5:30 - and I've been looking on Redbook and Carsales at the Fiesta, Focus, VW Golf, Mazda 3 and Suzuki Swift to see what pricing is like and features of the various models.

My main wants really, are fuel economy and cruise control along with low running costs.

Is there anything in particular on the Focus or Fiesta I need to watch out for, such as dud models or certain parts needing replacing that can get expensive?

Thanks.

Last edited by DaveDaGeek; 07-02-2016 at 02:27 AM.
DaveDaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
Deo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDaGeek View Post
Is there anything in particular on the Focus or Fiesta I need to watch out for, such as dud models or certain parts needing replacing that can get expensive?
PowerShift DCT of course...

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #3
newi

Default Re: Recommendations for a daily commuter

I did this exact thing a few years ago - my recommendation is to think long and hard if you can really justify the extra car.

I travel a similar distance to you (Melbourne to Geelong) and decided to grab an LPG BF. It was good - cheap to run, park it where ever, reliable. And I could keep my XR50T in the shed with low kays.

A couple of things -

A. When you factor in another rego, another insurance and more maintenance are you saving money (I know you main motivation may not be to save money)
B. Why do you want to keep the kays low on the G6ET? Why not just enjoy it?

What ended up happening with my XR50 was that I wouldn't even drive it at the weekend cause the BF was easier to get to and I parked it wherever.

So last year I sold my BF, pocketed the money and just drive the XR50. Its still mint, only has 77k on it an on the highway is very efficient. I am careful where I park and now I find myself really enjoying my XR for what it is.

The thread I started is here - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11411657

Have a read - see what you reckon. What I just suggested to you was suggested to me and I wish I took that advice.

But in saying all of that - if you must get another car - look at BA/BF LPG (either factory or aftermarket) cheap, lazy and reliable cruisers. Just make sure you put an external trans cooler on it.

Paul
newi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 07:33 AM   #4
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with Newi, just enjoy the car.....they are a nice car.

Let's face it.....we love our cars, but they are a black hole.

In the overall scheme of things, will the investment in a second car taking into account all the costs, be offset by an increase in the retained value of the G6e by keeping the K's down.

I went thru a smiliar exercise with my Focus ST, then decided, screw this I pay alot to have this car on the road, its a depreciating asset, so i'll drive it and enjoy it every day.
Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
DaveDaGeek

I've thought about driving the G6ET to work however there's a few additional things to consider.

1.) For what it cost me ($25,000 second hand with tune, ID1000's and the usual level 1 upgrades) I just will not find anything like it for the K's etc. To me it isn't worth the stress if anything happened to the car, as I'm single, with under the average wage for W.A. and would be paying off a mortgage too and no access to another vehicle, so the second car gives me some piece of mind there.

2.) Parking would cost me just under $3,060.00 per year for the G6ET, whereas I would have free parking with the smaller car, mainly because the area's in East Perth other staff park in, have had many issues with break in's, smaller cars have not been a problem, there's been a few Commodores trashed, one which had two wheels stolen and you can bet the G6ET would be targeted if I parked there.

Now I realise my upfront costs for the second car are higher, in the long term I expect to come out ahead:

* My fuel is cheaper not being BP98 and most info shows I can get close to 600K's on a tank for a Fiesta.

* No parking fee's saving roughly $3,060 per year minus insurance and rego, say $400 for insurance and $600 for rego (I can only go by the price for the Falcon as I don't know what a small car would cost to rego).

I see on average 1-2 accidents a month going down to Hall's Head every weekend, I expect it's a higher number but as I'm not travelling there as often, I don't see them. I just couldn't deal with that happening to the Falcon considering I have no backup for it.
DaveDaGeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #6
lolbbq
Starter Motor

If I were you I would be looking at a I30 or a Fiesta. The focus price seems a little high at this point of time. Not sure about the depreciation of a I30 but the price starts quite low for a decently young vehicle (in QLD at least).
lolbbq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

even my local ford dealer started selling new Hyundai from his yard. no doubt a sign of the times

Last edited by marg99; 10-03-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: spelling
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2016, 07:10 PM   #8
lolbbq
Starter Motor

Personally I can't find anything wrong with the new hyundais (yet), coupled with competitive price and super long warranty easy to see why they're selling well.

I think some aussies are just after a reliable set of wheels. I like ford cars for their handling and build quality but I think warranty needs to be more competitive. Improving the reliability will be helpful too.
lolbbq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post