Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #91
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Default Re: Fatty Liver Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I've just started with dropping the soft drinks, thats the only change I've made.

I just drink water through the day for the last few days, be interesting to see if I make any change in weight just by cutting out sugar and beers.

I don't even have morning coffee anymore, I never usually eat breakfast, so I've started with a banana.
You will probably get the biggest drop from cutting those out. Its very easy to drink calories.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #92
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I've just started with dropping the soft drinks, thats the only change I've made.

I just drink water through the day for the last few days, be interesting to see if I make any change in weight just by cutting out sugar and beers.

I don't even have morning coffee anymore, I never usually eat breakfast, so I've started with a banana.
Small steps is the key. Seeing that you're not drinking beer/soft drink, if you need something fizzy there are a couple of brands of soda water that have fruit essence in them without any calories or artificial sweeteners. It's no coke, but something with a little kick in it if you get bored of water from time to time.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #93
graphicgoose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those are good choices mate. Sugary drinks and beers can so easily impact your weight/health! And good idea to have at least something for breakfast. Even just having a banana will be enough to kick your metabolism over at the start of the day, which is good.
graphicgoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #94
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

It took years to happen . It's not going to take a weeks to correct ., btw you don't have to be obviously overweight to have liver issues . Mainly diet tho ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2015, 11:12 PM   #95
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Ideally I'd like to get down to 110kg as a short term goal, I'm 130kg at the moment.

Might as well as give it a crack, especially if we can start by making a few easy changes to get it started.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 13-11-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #96
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

same here all tho id prefer 95ish again as last time I got down to 110 and am at 132 atm and recon I can do it by feb or sooner as last time I dropped 45kg with out the optifast in 2 n 1/2 months so i's got's a record to break

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-11-2015, 12:56 AM   #97
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
same here all tho id prefer 95ish again as last time I got down to 110 and am at 132 atm and recon I can do it by feb or sooner as last time I dropped 45kg with out the optifast in 2 n 1/2 months so i's got's a record to break
45KG in 2 1/2 months?

Did you survive an assassination attempt from some dodgy chicken and poo through the eye of a needle while vomiting at the same time?

That's crazy man what's your secret, sell that to Hollywood and be skinny but rich too
Old 15-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #98
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watch "That Sugar Film".

Stay away from the white death, bread, pasta, rice and sugar. And all processed food. The food industries denial of the effects of sugar on our bodies is comparable to the tobacco companies denials of the health effects of cigarette smoking.

I've given up Coke and soft drinks, my beloved iced coffees and choc milks. It's the trade off I have to make to ensure I don't end up with type 2 diabetes. We now eat a lot of green leafy salads and vegetables, meat, chicken and fish, full cream milk, cheeses, bacon, eggs, nuts and other "unhealthy" high fat foods.
5 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #99
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So basically, you cut a LOT of calories.

Its not the sugar that's the problem, its that it brings a lot of calories with it. If you manage your calorie intake, you can eat bread, pasta, have soft drinks, etc. Being overweight is what causes most of the problems put down to sugar.

That Suagr Film is useful in that it might get people to read the packaging and see how many calories are in the fruit juices, muesli bars, cereals, etc they consume. But beyond that, there's some really shoddy 'science'. He claims to put on a bunch of weight while maintaining the same calorie intake, only change being increasing the proportion of sugar.

Sorry, but that is impossible (and there have been plenty of controlled studies to prove it). In fact, in a recent BBC doco, twins went on opposite diets, one high sugar, one high fat. Both lost weight, but the one on high sugar actually had improved insulin sensitivity, backing up what most clinicians already know... high fat is a more potent trigger of diabetes.

Manage your calories. Don't get caught up in the blame game... it used to be fat, right now its sugar, but in reality, it always was, and always will be, too many calories.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #100
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me it's a simple proposition; energy in versus energy out, and refined sugar and processed food intake. I'll stick to the caveman diet and leave the processed foods to the obese folk in the world struggling with their weight issue.
Old 15-11-2015, 06:03 PM   #101
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde View Post
Watch "That Sugar Film".

Stay away from the white death, bread, pasta, rice and sugar. And all processed food. The food industries denial of the effects of sugar on our bodies is comparable to the tobacco companies denials of the health effects of cigarette smoking.

I've given up Coke and soft drinks, my beloved iced coffees and choc milks. It's the trade off I have to make to ensure I don't end up with type 2 diabetes. We now eat a lot of green leafy salads and vegetables, meat, chicken and fish, full cream milk, cheeses, bacon, eggs, nuts and other "unhealthy" high fat foods.
that was when I went cold turkey and gave up an expensive drinking habit on 02 Aug and also flicked my milk drinks at work

was having one meal in morn can fish on grain wholemeal with a slice of cheese and an egg on top and one meal end off day being not much more and was walking 6k a day n doing simular on the riding of the bike (twice as much distance but only every second day) and using my dumbbells at home

haven't had another drink of the good juice since !

BUT went back to my work morning teas in the truck , you know !!!... that time of morn not ness hungry but .... oh well ....theres a nice lunch bar and then oh no ive done it again come out with a heap of crap n a milk drink scenario

also got back on to the longer trips n hours so my exercise also went out the window and all crept back up again

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 16-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #102
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Woohoo..!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Liver.jpg (72.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 29-11-2015, 12:00 PM   #103
razbarb

My last two blood tests showed a fatty liver.
Now that I'm 46, my last visit to the doc started with the nurse measuring my blood pressure, weight and waist.
I've had very high iron levels in recent years, which are back to normal.
I hear all the comments about portion control. I'm a moderate drinker so my fatty liver is fully from over eating. I switch between healthy and junk food as I get sick of eating one or the other.
Luckily I've always liked eating rabbit foods and my favourite meal is still bbq protein and salad.
One thing I can offer is to grow your own veges. As many or as little as you like. A mixed salad made from fresh veges not only is tastier, it helps with promoting that sense of achievement we're looking for trying to get healthier.
razbarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #104
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

There are a few of us on here who grow veggies, I grow tomatoes, silverbeet, broad beans and a few different fruit trees.

Be interesting to see who grows what.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #105
XG_Falcon

I grow fruit trees (too many to list). I also started growing kalamata olives last year.

I would like to put more vegetables in and will probably build a raised garden bed for that. Helps pass the time and it's hard to beat the taste of fruit you grew yourself.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #106
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have 2 mangos 2 orange a mandarin a lemon a lime 6 grape 2 apple a pear and a nashi pear 2 nectarines 2 peach 2 plums a walnut a almond and one other I cant remember what it was not all fruit as the oldest is about 5 years and they get younger from there
have grown my own chillies capsicum tomato and carrots but not atm need to get them back in the ground
back to that I just come to post was back at my doc on Friday (that was my carbon dating day so have a day from work) for my annual am I still dead check ups and we redid my weight (now I had started to stray a little with my meals to wards the end but not badly) and I a month from when he last took my weight (clothes are fitting a little better) ive lost/gained nothing

6 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #107
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Well 4 weeks since opp, 4 days no food.. I eat one 105g tin of chilli tuner in the morning with banana or vanilla optifast and cup of coffee.. No lunch .. maybe a ripe apricot they are NICE this time of the year.. Then for dinner I have a square cooked salmon about 120mm long 20mm square..
With 3 or so small tomatoes.. I'm down to only having one Optifast in the morning..
I'm still doing jobs around the place.. At a guess I would say Ive lost 30Kg+..
When I do things physical I feel the shakes a little so I know I'm burning it off..
Had to be careful fitting solar panels on 3.5m high motorhome..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #108
razbarb

The nurse at my docs enrolled me into an educational series of group sessions sponsored by diabetes Victoria, with my consent of course.
They've been quite informative so far, with the most surprise to me being reading of labels. I've never done it and my wife doesn't either due to time.
The facilitator is actually quite supportive and it really is a case of changing habits from education.
I've dropped half a teaspoon of sugar from my tea and coffee and was told that's a good start and would equal approx 300 teaspoons per year!
I've largely dropped soft drink from my daily routine and I was probably drinking 40 teaspoons of sugar just there! It's actually a bit frightening, especially once you understand what goes on in our bodies with digestion and the food we eat.
I wrote a diary of everything I consumed yesterday and I showed some restraint compared to years past. I'm still eating truckloads!
razbarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2016, 01:36 AM   #109
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i stumbled across this on the tube, i remember seeing this thread , thought you guys might be interested .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSmFYbsQRio
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2016, 10:50 PM   #110
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok a bit of an update.
Had to get blood test from the doctor last week and he included a liver function test along with testosterone, cholesterol, vitamins ect.
I was shock to the ***** house today when he went through the results and said everything was fine (apart from testosterone).
It's like what about the LFT? he said yep it's fine.
all the enzymes were in the low 70's from what i could see.
So going to the gym for 5 months and eating tons of veges and basically cutting out iced coffees and red meat has sorted me out.
I am still 137kgs and when i go to the gym sweat runs off me, my shorts and shirt end up literally soaked.
Gees still hasn't really sunk in.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post