Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-08-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
CVK11

Default 2007 LS Zetec - What to look for?

Hi Guys,

Going to look at a 2007 Ford Focus LS Zetec tomorrow.

It has done 109,000km, Manual Trans, appears to be in good condition.

Not very familiar with focus', just looking for some insight into common problems and things to look out for.

Or another useful info anyone has.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Manual FG N/A XR6 Nitro Blue - Luxury Pack, Xforce Catback, SS Inductions Growler CAI, Heavy Duty Clutch, Boss Bonnet, Reverse Camera, Kenwood 8" Subwoofer, 'XR' Console lid, XR50 Taillights, 'XR' Scuff Plates, G6E Sunglasses Holder.
CVK11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
DeKa

Engine mounts (not expensive to replace though) and drive shafts are about the only things that will need checking, other than the usual service requirements having been completed.

If you do buy it, the Zetec is such a good handling car, it deserves good tyres - if it has rubbish tyres look at something like the Bridgestone Adrenalin RE003.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
CVK11

Default Re: 2007 LS Zetec - What to look for?

Thanks for the reply DeKa, greatly appreciated!
Manual FG N/A XR6 Nitro Blue - Luxury Pack, Xforce Catback, SS Inductions Growler CAI, Heavy Duty Clutch, Boss Bonnet, Reverse Camera, Kenwood 8" Subwoofer, 'XR' Console lid, XR50 Taillights, 'XR' Scuff Plates, G6E Sunglasses Holder.
Old 30-08-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Agree 100% with DeKa.

The usual check for driveshafts needs to be done - driving slowly on full lock left and right. Also listen for creaking / clicking / grinding on initial take off, which can be the drivers side inner CV or intermediate shaft bearings.

And the engine mounts as usual will show up as excessive vibration through the car, especially at idle.

No timing belt to worry about, it has a timing chain with 250,000km interval.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
Batman105E

I just bought an LS Focus at 117,00ks - you shouldn't really find much wrong at those ks.

Check for reverse lights working correctly, the reverse light switch had a habit of failing in the manuals.

Wipers are expensive to replace as far as wipers normally go ($80 from repco).

Also check the front struts for noise (knocking) and leaks.
Batman105E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2015, 12:45 AM   #6
CVK11

Thanks very much guys, car seemed very good, getting our mechanic to have a quick look over it this week!

Cheers Chris
Old 31-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
fantasyxr6t
Starter Motor

Out of curiosity what sort of money ?
I am trying to sell a Zetec with 71,000 for $8,500 just wondering how it compares.
fantasyxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2015, 09:20 PM   #8
Citwit

You can purchase wiper rubbers from Ford dealers for about $20. Unusual in that you can't buy rubbers only from the usual aftermarket places and have to buy the whole wiper.
Citwit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-09-2015, 12:38 AM   #9
CVK11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyxr6t View Post
Out of curiosity what sort of money ?
I am trying to sell a Zetec with 71,000 for $8,500 just wondering how it compares.
This one was a bargain, got it for $4,500 with new tyres and just over 2 months rego. Body is in average condition a couple of scrapes and lots of swirls/scratches. Will come up ok with a buff. Mechanically it's sound had it checked today.

It's for my younger brother as his first car, so we were originally looking at something a bit older around the 4k mark. Couldn't go past this for the price.

But $8,500 seems very fair considering your kms

Cheers Chris
Old 01-09-2015, 07:42 AM   #10
Batman105E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citwit View Post
You can purchase wiper rubbers from Ford dealers for about $20. Unusual in that you can't buy rubbers only from the usual aftermarket places and have to buy the whole wiper.
The wipers aren't just rubbers, they are the Euro style and the whole blade gets replaced, no other way to do it.

If you can get them for $20 from a Ford dealer I would be stunned.

Shopping around and you might find them for $50 - $60 a set if you go on eBay, from a dealer expect to pay way north of $100.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #11
Citwit

I have replaced the rubbers on my LT focus about 3 times now. It is still on the original blades. The rubbers are a Motorcraft product - part number AWV 1922 FM. Fits the Mondeo, Focus and Fiesta. They cost just over $20. But if you don't want to believe me continue paying $60 plus for a new set of blades.
Citwit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #12
Rs31markie

Hi, Citwit is correct, you can get the refills from Fords and they are around $20. They don't do a refill for the rear wiper, and the whole blade is $80+, but if you're careful you can strip it out and just fit the generic refills. I've done this several times.
Rs31markie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2015, 08:08 PM   #13
Batman105E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citwit View Post
I have replaced the rubbers on my LT focus about 3 times now. It is still on the original blades. The rubbers are a Motorcraft product - part number AWV 1922 FM. Fits the Mondeo, Focus and Fiesta. They cost just over $20. But if you don't want to believe me continue paying $60 plus for a new set of blades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rs31markie View Post
Hi, Citwit is correct, you can get the refills from Fords and they are around $20. They don't do a refill for the rear wiper, and the whole blade is $80+, but if you're careful you can strip it out and just fit the generic refills. I've done this several times.
Well there you go... learn something new everyday! Wish I had known that when I replaced two sets on the Mondeo and one on the Focus.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #14
country focus
Country Focus

Just buy the refills and go youtube and you will see that the ends are removable and then the cheaper refill slides right in. Did mine a few times on my previous LT,hope I can do the same with my new LW
country focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post