Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-02-2006, 11:59 PM   #1
AU2V8wgn
Ford V8 Freak

Unhappy AU V8 wagon Exhaust help

I'm trying to get a good sound from an AU v8 exhaust.
So far I've put a RedBack bolt on but its still very quiet with only slight improvement in performance.
After mixed advice to improve on this , I decide to experiment.
Removing the resonator resulted in terrible droning at cruising speed.
removing front muffler made it drone at 100kmh.
Now it has a hotdog up front with the resonator,
powers' o.k., but still droning & the 'V8' sound is only there at high rpm.
Question: who knows? I've asked many exhaust shops, nobody can help??
How can I improve this?: twin 2 & a quarter, or single 3 inch?????

AU2V8wgn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have single 3" on my XR8, and had similar setup on my Forte V8 sedan. Both systems sounded like a V8 should. I get droning, but not too bad, and I'm only running a single muffler.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 12:15 AM   #3
AU2V8wgn
Ford V8 Freak

Thanks for yor reply,
I think the problem I'm having is because its a wagon & the droning is louder in the cabin as opposed to being dissipated in the boot.
..Does the 3 inch give a deeper note?,..thats what I'm after.

also I see you also have a modified wagon,
do you know where I can get 'XR' side skirts??

Cheers.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:36 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2V8wgn
Thanks for yor reply,
I think the problem I'm having is because its a wagon & the droning is louder in the cabin as opposed to being dissipated in the boot.
..Does the 3 inch give a deeper note?,..thats what I'm after.

also I see you also have a modified wagon,
do you know where I can get 'XR' side skirts??

Cheers.
The 3" should be deeper, but it really depends on the mufflers you run more than the size of the pipe.

With the XR skirts for a wagon, i would try AWC first - just click on their logo at the top of the page.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 01:38 AM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

lol , i found in the past , the larger diameter your exhaust system on a v8 , the more u will cause windows on ya house etc etc to viabrate when idled parked near houses etc . Yeah it will give you a slightlly deeper note. If your after more of that cackle type v8 sound u better off with like a 2" twin system ( single muffler on each ) .. But going the 3 inch with the single muffler will give you more off a 'bottom end' deeper note, allthough not as loud as the cackling twin system.. Imo if u wanna stop the droning the twin setup mentions pretty much stops it all together , but the note is higher and more cackly , not a deep rumble, I don't think yet i have ever heard of anyone being able to fully remove the droning noise in a larger single system exhause , allways gonna get a bit. Allthough u may get rid of alot of the droning with a single system setup a certian way / u will prolly find as u go the larger pipe allthough it will sound deeper / when it does drone it will prolly be worse a noise ( the droning gets deeper /when it does drone with a larger pipe..... thats just my opinion anyways from experience messin around with it all in the past......

In the end alot of the droning noise just comes down to the outlet manifold/exhust system back pressure suiting , is why the factory exhust doesn't usually drone - made to back pressure specs for performance ( not really set for sound ! ).
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2006, 02:21 AM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Oh , and of course there is a million other things that can effect the sound and performance of your car / the above is just from personal experience ;) ...

That said , just from a point on how my friends and myself have overcome droning in the past is like this .... (oh and with a v8 in a waggon its gonna be hard cos of the cabin size , that exhaust is running the full length under ya cabin , not like in a sedan / half the noise from the exhaust is under the boot concealed away ... if u know what i mean .)....

Good rule of thumb me and mates found --> when changing exhaust from stock / things to consider - have u modded the air intake ? / have u added extractors ? .....
these 2 things alone cause a major difference in front and back pressures from/within the engine , is a matter of matching an exhust system that is capable of 'breathing/exhausting' the end resulting back-pressure from your extractors or manifold. Usually u will get that droning sound when the back pressure from your exhaust is to high for the extractors/or/standard outlett manifolds back pressure ( is like the pressure from the exhaust wasnt fully released before the next lot of pressure from the outlett manifold was dumped in - creating like pressurised points in your exhaust - usually between the extractors/or/outletmaniflod and the muffler ) .. stop this and u will remove tones of droning ! ..hope that helps a bit. good luck
Old 10-02-2006, 02:44 AM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

1 more thing ..lol , just to clarify things so people dont go ИИИИИin sayin "WTF" etc etc ...as i stated above a few time .....

THE ABOVE IS JUST SOME OF THE THINGS THAT CAN INFLUENCE THE DRONING NOISE !
..heaps of stuff can , there's more to it tahn just that with the exhaust too , the angles the pipes are bent and were they are bent can all be factors too in droning - along with a million other things ;)
Old 10-02-2006, 09:24 PM   #8
AU2V8wgn
Ford V8 Freak

Thanks for that 'in-depth' information.
And thanks for the effort!!
I think I follow you, I'll go with my original feelings about exhausts on V8s,
All the best sounding V8s I've heard have had twin systems.
...Maybe its old-skool way of thinking, but I don't think its possible to get all 8 cylinders down one pipe to sound good.
So it looks like I'm doin the twin thing, the only question is what diameter pipes 2 1/4, 2 1/2 or even 3 inch, ..I dont care whatever it takes.
..and what brand mufflers??
Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:40 AM   #9
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with twin system on a stock low spec v8 is that they fart too much...
I have a single 3" system on my 200kw xr8 ute, and by no means does it sound ИИИИ, and i can guarentee you that it is worthwhile for a windsor.
it does drone, i have learnt to drive it at the revs where it dont drone!
If yours is an auto, you will need to run a resonator on the back, and it wont drone at all.
My misses' ute has the same system as mine, but hers has a resonator on it and doesnt drone at all.
If you want to hear what a good system sounds like on an xr8, click here.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 11:36 PM   #10
AU_Wagin

AU V8 wagon Exhaust help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to get a good sound from an AU v8 exhaust.
So far I've put a RedBack bolt on but its still very quiet with only slight improvement in performance.
After mixed advice to improve on this , I decide to experiment. ...snip

HI, I have a V8 AUII Fairmont Wagon, these are quite rare actually. I went to Mick Web and had my exhaust replaced, HM headers, and high flow cats etc, it sounds very nice, and no droning at all. I stuffed up the rear muffler/tailpipe just before christmas, it had done about 90,000 kms, and the wagon is Tickford lowered - I back into a gutter, and had to have the rear muffler resonator and tailpipe replaced. It sounds a bit quieter, but still good.

If your want to have a listen feel free to PM me, and your can come over or we meet up somewhere to hear it in real life

I am in Hawthorn

Ray

Thats my Wagon on the AWC website too Organza
AU_Wagin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 02:21 AM   #11
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

AU2V8wgn ...... yup , im old school stye approach to the exhaust system too , and i too agree your going to have a hell of a time trying to get rid of ALL droning running a v8 though a single system . Twins do have that nice LOUD cackle sounde to them (hear them a mile away when u boot ya car ..lol ) but no bottom end note ...... Might actually be worth looking at what type a setup they use to run on the old XW and XY station waggons back years ago , they were actually really nice sounding and no droning at all from what i can remember , i think they were a twin system too on the v8 , i think ! - check it out maybe ..
Old 12-02-2006, 02:23 AM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

oh and i think they ran larger twin pipes like what ur looking at , cos they defianatelly had a deeper note for twin pipes, didnt have that cackle like single 2" pipes ...
Old 14-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #13
AU2V8wgn
Ford V8 Freak

Thanks for your reply,
The 'farting' is what I'm worried about!
Thats the sound its making now at low revs/on normal take-off,
...a farty stock 6 cylinder sound.
Of course at high revs it sounds good, but I certainly can't be driving around school zones at 4000 rpm....know what I mean?

What do you recommended upgrading the front end of the car to complement the exhaust & what mufflers should I be looking at?

Cheers.
Old 14-02-2006, 09:36 PM   #14
AU2V8wgn
Ford V8 Freak

Your'e right about V8 wagons being rare, it took me months to find one.
I might have seen yours around!,
..has yours have the body kit & twin tips??

..About your exhaust, you did'nt mention whether it was twin or single,
...and what diameter?

It would be interesting to hear what yours sounds like too.

Thanks.
Old 15-02-2006, 12:00 PM   #15
AU_Wagin

Quote:

..About your exhaust, you did'nt mention whether it was twin or single,
...and what diameter?

It would be interesting to hear what yours sounds like too.

Thanks.
Yes it has twin tips. Its not a full twin system, its a bit hard getting around the rear axle, wheel arch, and spare wheel etc to do a full twin system, its possible, but expensive, mines a 2 1/2 inch system

Mine has the body kit on it from AWC

Ray
Old 15-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #16
AU_Wagin

Quote:

Thanks.
The are pics of mine on the AU Falcon site, and the AWC site

Ray