Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Volvo to lead Australia's first self-driving car trial

Quote:

Volvo to lead Australia's first self-driving car trial

New XC90 to serve at the core of local development.

July 21 2015 - 3:00PM
David McCowen

Volvo's self-driving car trial will use an Australian example of its new XC90.

Volvo has gazumped rivals by taking a milestone victory in the race to offer Australia's first self-driving car.

The Swedish manufacturer will be at the core of the nation's first autonomous vehicle trials, set to be held in Adelaide at the International Driverless Cars Conference on November 5 and 6.

The South Australian Government, Australian Road Research Board, and Flinders University will work with Volvo to see how well emerging technology applies to Australian conditions.

Volvo will modify an example of its upcoming XC90 SUV to remove software and hardware limitations before taking to closed roads in a controlled environment.

Company spokesman Greg Bosnich says the right-hand-drive car will only use cameras, sensors and systems already available to the public, and that the car will receive "minor changes" that allow it to drive hands-free for an extended time.

"This is absolutely a real life vehicle with some modifications," he says.

"We believe the test can be conducted with the car as it is now with a few minor modifications and additions... It will be a local car that's available in Australia."

Volvo's upcoming Drive Me program will put 100 autonomous vehicles on the streets of its Swedish home town, Gothenburg, and into public hands for the first time.

Self-driving cars cannot currently be used on Australian roads, but South Australia Premier Jay Weatherill says the trial gives South Australia an opportunity to lead the way nationally.

"Driverless cars have the ability to revolutionise transport in this country and we want to be at the forefront of that paradigm shift," he says.

"It is our ambition to be a test bed for innovation across a whole range of areas such as this."

Tony Weber, chief executive for the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries, says other states should look to South Australia as an example.

"To effectively introduce driverless vehicles into Australia, it is vital that governments and industry work together to ensure that the infrastructure and systems that support the vehicle are set up and maintained," Weber says.

"I encourage governments around the country to take a lead from the great work of the South Australian Government, who are taking important steps to facilitate the introduction of autonomous vehicle technology and infrastructure into Australia."

Self-driving cars are controversial as the technology is likely to put thousands of people out of work, could present new hazards, and provoke anxiety in motorists.

The technology has been put forward as a way to improve time management, reduce the road toll and reduce traffic jam by putting more cars on the road than drivers can tolerate.

Rival manufacturers invested in autonomous cars offered cautious support for Volvo's work.

Both BMW and Mercedes-Benz are negotiating with the South Australian government to play a role in upcoming studies, while Audi says it has no plans to bring cars that can drive over long distances or at pace on racetracks to Australia.

Mercedes-Benz spokesman David McCarthy says his brand is not quite ready to demonstrate a fully autonomous car.

"The whole industry is working on this," he says.

"Good on them [Volvo] for doing it, but it's not for us just at the moment.

"When we feel that we have a vehicle that our engineers are prepared to sign off as an autonomous car, we'll demonstrate it. But the technology isn't there."

BMW spokeswoman Lenore Fletcher says the trial reflects the rampant pace of development in luxury cars that "will eventually result in this type of driverless vehicle".

"Technology we have in the new BMW 7-Series allows you to stand outside the car and park it via the remote - if you look at technologies like that you're looking at the development of autonomous vehicles," she says.

"We're starting to see that technology coming in not just in halo vehicles but down the range as well."

Fletcher says rival brands will benefit from Volvo's work.

"I think it's fantastic that any manufacturer is involved," she says.

"The fact that we're getting this heightening of awareness really does help all of the manufacturers together.

"I applaud it."

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/v...21-gih6f1.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
tonys6550

Default Re: Volvo to lead Australia's first self-driving car trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I can see the headlines now "Motorist lashes out in road rage incident against self-drive vehicle for tailgating"
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2015, 11:02 PM   #3
Pilko FNQ

A kid runs out onto the road. Does the computer decide to run over the kid, or swerve onto the wrong side of the road and hit an oncoming vehicle? I understand they are only trailing this on certain roads however things happen....
Pilko FNQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 12:30 AM   #4
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"South Australia Premier Jay Weatherill says the trial gives South Australia an opportunity to lead the way nationally"

I love SA but please Jay don't make rash statements like that!!! It was only last year that the road they want to trial these cars on became a duplicated, two direction expressway!! Just think, if they hadn't of done that, it would have really tested the vehicle avoidance radar - driverless car heading North whilst everything else is heading South

But anything I guess to make SA drivers better, has got to be a good thing hey??

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-07-2015, 07:45 AM   #5
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilko FNQ View Post
A kid runs out onto the road. Does the computer decide to run over the kid, or swerve onto the wrong side of the road and hit an oncoming vehicle? I understand they are only trailing this on certain roads however things happen....
Funny .. I was thinking a similar thing on the way into work in the dark, wet 100km/h rural roads today. Would an autonomous vehicle try to stop or swerve or do nothing (eg. car close behind it) if a roo jumped out?

If I swerved to miss an animal on the road, and hit an oncoming car it's my fault. If my car does it automatically, who's fault is it? Mine? The car manufacturers?

Is that why self-parking cars still require driver input? (eg. the throttle) So the driver still has some physical linkage to their legal responsibility to "control" the vehicle?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

When this happens watch the GST go to 20% and the tax increases we will all get to cover the income deficit!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I just cant see how autonomous cars work with our legal/insurance system.

Until all other cars are alike your asking for trouble. Systems are open to failure, then who picks up the bill?

Is there a Commodore with stockies code/clause? How do you program against that?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 02:16 PM   #8
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6WGN View Post
"South Australia Premier Jay Weatherill says the trial gives South Australia an opportunity to lead the way nationally"

I love SA but please Jay don't make rash statements like that!!! It was only last year that the road they want to trial these cars on became a duplicated, two direction expressway!! Just think, if they hadn't of done that, it would have really tested the vehicle avoidance radar - driverless car heading North whilst everything else is heading South

But anything I guess to make SA drivers better, has got to be a good thing hey??
hell why dont they use the idiot as a crash test dummy, that would wipe the shoit off his dial.
Old 22-07-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Who actually wants self-driving cars?

I've never heard anyone say they'd like to see them introduced.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #10
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem with self driving cars is that they will be programmed to follow the speed limits which will eliminate speeding fines :-)
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #11
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

If you don't want to drive, then get a taxi.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2015, 10:07 PM   #12
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see traffic jams of all these driverless cars going nowhere, what would be the point?
In all seriousness, the law in California is that there must be an able person sitting in the drivers seat to take control of the vehicle in case of emergency.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz