Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #31
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mower Engine won't rev (Hunting?)

I can't understand why people rat on Briggs and Stratton engines.

I have a little 3.5hp side valve on a Victa. That thing earned me many many dollars mowing lawns in my teens. Thrashed from day one. I still have it, its a bit smokey now but still go's and has never let me down in the 13 years I have had it, unlike a VERY expensive Honda that failed on its second job. In fact, I have never (touch wood) had a Briggs engine let me down, just fill em with fuel and pull the cord, change the oil every now and then. The OHV 850 series on a Victa Mustang and a Masport Utility I have at the moment is a powerhouse.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #32
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cont: OK, the "quantum 2" engines have the filter on the side of the carby...

Like a lot of things, once you know what you're looking at, its obvious.
I removed the air filter and cleaned out 20 years of muck, and it is now running much smoother.
Still won't rev AS high as I remember, but more than it was, and no hunting.

Gotta give credit to the old girl. ~ 20 years old, never had a lick of maintenance, and with a bit of clean she's still purring along.
4 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2015, 12:12 PM   #33
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

look at that bracket on the front to get higher revs
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #34
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Nothing wrong with the Briggs motor, we always used them as the second/backup to our Buffalo's.
I just prefer the Honda equipment.

When my brother and i first got in to Jims Mowing back in the mid 90's we used Honda mowers and they were bullet proof.
We had 3 territories and often knocked off 20 jobs a day, 6 days a week from Liverpool to Campbelltown.
Quite a lot of our jobs were first cuts and the stuff we pushed those Honda's through was rediculous, never let us down.
Only issue we ever had was with the self drive mechanism and that was due to treatment not design.
When i returned to SA i worked with a mate who had a Jims franchise, same thing, Honda first and foremost, Briggs only came out if i knocked the edges off before he got to the back yard.
I ended up buying the franchise from him and stuck with the tried and proven, never let me down.
Only thing i could complain about the briggs was that they got smokey early on.
This was all 10+ years ago, im sure the modern stuff would be better.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #35
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Briggs got a bit of a bad reputation many many years ago about bad reliability troubles and scared many people off.
They honed their engines over time, keeping them simple in the process and are now quite reliable now. In some ways what they did was kinda like what Ford did with the Inline 6, tinkered and improved over many years until it is now an excellent engine.
Like the Ford Inline 6, the Briggs side valve engines are now being phased out for OHV models. The 148cc and 158cc versions are gone and have been replaced with smaller OHV engines. I suppose the 190cc engines will be next.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post