Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-02-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Drive belt cover from ef\el into au??

Was wondewring does a drive belt cover from an ef\el fit an au 6? HAve heard of sum ppl putting em on but is it a simple put it on job?

rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yep, should fit. One end goes on thermostat housing bolt, the other should slip over the power steering (?) reservoir.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Yep it fits

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayner22
Was wondewring does a drive belt cover from an ef\el fit an au 6? HAve heard of sum ppl putting em on but is it a simple put it on job?
It fits "The Monty" put one on his , you must be careful though, he broke the bolt. Best bet is us to Pm him for details.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #4
boodek
Ferret

Pardon my ignorance, but why would you do this?
boodek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks and safety. i think they are good looking and if i came across one i would get it..but its also a pain to inspect the drivebelt then..

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 09:50 PM   #6
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

I can think of a couple of reasons;

1. Safety. With the belt and pullies covered, it takes away the risk of pieces of clothing etc getting caught if you're leaning over the motor checking a fault where the motor is required to be running.

2. The cover stops any garbage/oil that the belt picks up, from being sprayed over the other engine components, battery & airbox, and on the underside of the bonnet.

3. It just puts the finishing touch to a bare engine front.
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #7
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so obviously there was never one made for an AU then? this sounds like a great idea. are they still available from ford or is it a wreaker crawl?
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 10:15 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Will fit any AU I6 excluding VCT ones (the cam idler gets in the way on those ones, but they have their own version made to accomodate it).

They are not an AU part, never came standard on them (except the VCT's are i said above). An EF or EL one will fit straight on with no dramas.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:15 AM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I have one on the 6 - from the VCT motor on my old XR6.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 02-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
canuk7

Default fan belt cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargeEA
so obviously there was never one made for an AU then? this sounds like a great idea. are they still available from ford or is it a wreaker crawl?
I just bought one from ford, $36,very easy to install
canuk7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #11
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GOt one from the wreckers, looks soo much better now.
It was part looks and really safety that made me want it. The fact that all the pulleys etc are exposed sorta worries me around kids and stuff when im working on the car. Im pretty sure a finger in a moving drive pulley would not be a good thing!!

Hey JC, uve painted the exact parts of your engine bay nearly like I have LOL, except i used Blueprint on the airbox etc and gold chrome on the intake pipes to the throttle body!!
rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #12
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

JC what are those wires on the drivers side of the engine bay?

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they look like amp cables and other sorts as JC has DVD player and stuff like that..

but JC, you should get some flexi black electrical conjuit for that to make it look a bit neater, well thats what i would do anyway

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 10:02 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
they look like amp cables and other sorts as JC has DVD player and stuff like that..

but JC, you should get some flexi black electrical conjuit for that to make it look a bit neater, well thats what i would do anyway
Yep - power for stereo and driving lights. Must get some of that conduit stuff, as so many people comment on it. Thanks guys.

Old 03-02-2006, 01:09 AM   #15
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuk7
I just bought one from ford, $36,very easy to install
really? was that brand new? cos if thats the list price i will get one tomorrow if i have time, much much less than i was expecting, knowing how much ford like to charge. oh, and i ask for one from an EL right?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:57 AM   #16
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Do you have to change the bolt on the thermostat housing? I think they have a stud on top of the bolt then a nut holds down the cover?

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 08:05 PM   #17
LOWAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Will fit any AU I6 excluding VCT ones (the cam idler gets in the way on those ones, but they have their own version made to accomodate it).

They are not an AU part, never came standard on them (except the VCT's are i said above). An EF or EL one will fit straight on with no dramas.
They actually came standard on AU1's(non VCT), maybe not all but on mine it did.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2006, 05:57 AM   #18
The Monty
Just slidin'

Just make sure you turn the thermostat housing bolt the right way _ . Ended up costing me ~$120 for what should have been around a 2-3 minute job. They look good, nice and clean. Fan Belt Part Number EF 6C095 A. Hope this helps. :evilsasmo
Old 10-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #19
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well, i just picked one up today from ford, i think it was an EL part number, for about $35. Looks much nicer imo. The only problem is i had to use metal washers as i noticed on my brothers EL the thermostat housing belt blot has a double head on it. It should hold, but i will try and get one of thoes bolts when i go for a service.