Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-02-2015, 12:09 AM   #31
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
They're going by ground travel down through Africa...

Been nice knowin' ya...

We had our first overseas trip in 2013...we'd been married 30 years, and been busy raising kids and buying a house and all the other things the real world throws at you (and no, trendsetters...the "real world" isn't bludging around living like a hippy...it's work and paying bills and contributing to society and raising a good family).

We finally decided now was the time, scrimped and saved, and had an all-too-brief trip to Las Vegas.

Now we're planning for a more prolonged trip...three weeks minimum...going from San Francisco down to LA to San Diego and back to Vegas in a rented car.

And yes...we're "boringly" going to the USA again. We loved it there. I know plenty of people who laugh and say we're mad, we should go to Asia somewhere like Bali or Thailand...but to be blunt they don't appeal to us, and friends raving about how cheap the beer and massages are doesn't really entice me to go there.

You wan't "cheap and exotic" be careful what you wish for...you might just get it...

I can't understand what sort of future people who "throw in their job to travel on a budget" like these people are doing think they're going to have...yes you'll have some memories (if you come back alive) but what happens after you come home? Most employers don't include "life experiences" such as travel into account when employing someone.

PM me, we did ten days in Vegas and drove from San Fran to LA. I can give you some good tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2015, 12:24 AM   #32
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
I don't agree.

Someone who can travel and continually problem solve the way you have to with that sort of travel could be a good employee.

If you don't have responsibilities other than to one another, why not live a little? The responsibilities of life will come soon enough.

You may not have as much money as others your age but you'll have better stories to tell.

Good on 'em.

Ahhh, the responsibilities of life, i disagree with you.
Really, someone that travels can be a good employee because they can problem solve, I can do that at Maccas on a Saturday morning. You must be ****ting me!

I've lived a little, had life experiences and I have stories to tell plus I have a **** load of money, what's your point!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2015, 01:40 AM   #33
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: I wish I'd done this............

Nobody should judge on tbe life decisions others make. If some can afford to do things differently, good on them I say. Everyones circumstances differ.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2015, 03:04 AM   #34
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I'm so glad I did my trip last year. After traveling with friends previously, and learning that didn't work for me, the time on my own, in countries I didn't speak the language was great. I don't heave a great deal of freedom here, so to be that far away, completely autonomous, was incredible.

I read something not long after getting home that said:
"The scariest feeling in the world is realising you are all alone, in a foreign country, and a long way from home.
The greatest feeling in the world is realising you are all alone, in a foreign country, and a long way from home."
It's absolutely true.

Already planning to head back to Finland this year to do an epic roadtrip with the guys from the other forum I met up with last year. Helsinki to Oslo, via Nordkapp, then on to the Nurburgring for the annual forum meet.

While there are people who think that at almost 32 I should be looking to find a husband, and all the stuff that goes with that (certain people I know are convinced I'm less of a person because I don't have that now, and must therefore be jealous of them), I'm not in the slightest bit interested.
I'm happy on my own, and I don't want children.

As an only child, and the end of the family line, I stand to inherit enough to be comfortable, so while I have no problem with working hard and saving money to buy a place of my own, I don't have to worry about suddenly not having a roof over my head.
Which means I can afford to splurge on travel.

As the saying goes, travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 03:28 AM   #35
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Good luck trekking thru africa.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #36
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous1 View Post
Good luck trekking thru africa.
While I was there we met a whole heap of people doing it. We camped next to a couple who were doing it on a push bike.

While camping elsewhere, I was checking out a neat looking Unimog camper only to be greeted by the single German widow in her mid to late 60's that was doing the whole continent on her own.

The problem is, we only hear of the bad stuff that happens, I wonder how many hundreds (thousands) do it alone and come out just fine?

There are dozens of tour companies that do overland safaris through Africa and they are well worth looking into if you want that extra element of safety when there.

Quote:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
-Mark Twain

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 10:16 AM   #37
brennan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm View Post
It's probably more selfish if you're going to breed. The world is overpopulated as it is?
? I'm not talking about having 8 kids and claiming benefit money on them. I'm sure my humble family of 4 won't make you feel too claustrophobic.

Didn't mean to offend anyone with my post, it was just me being a bit closed minded. Eyes opened, but my plan hasn't changed. I'll travel later in life, even if it isn't a huge trip.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #38
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan. View Post
but my plan hasn't changed. I'll travel later in life, even if it isn't a huge trip.
Why not. I know people that have and are doing that now. If you cant travel for 5 years at a time for various reasons, just pick your favourite destinations and holiday there a couple times per year, or whatever suits you.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #39
brennan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Why not. I know people that have and are doing that now.
Absolutely, the main inspiration for it is my dad, he's self employed and now that us kids are grown up he's been having a blast traveling all over the place. Plus he doesn't need to worry too much about money this way.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #40
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im 43, have been to 83 countries all over the globe, Africa, Asia, North and South America, middle east and Europe, never once had a drama, never been pick pocketed, mugged, stolen from, seriously felt threatened or died.
My partner and I have travelled away from our for the equivalent of 4.5 years, being 4.5 years away from our place of residence, and have lived and worked in 3 countries.
Oh we have also paid of a mortgage (only had for 3 years) and are raising a child.
My small family has seen and done things far beyond the normal and it doesn't seem to have affected our lives or future negatively.
If you don't go you'll never know

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post: