Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Do l have a a/c problem...

I had an AU company car in the early 2000s, and it's aircon was equal to the 2x VS Commodores I also owned at that time.

I'd be looking for reasons why it's not performing well.

Firstly, I'd bypass the speed settings & resistors, and give 12V straight to the blower fan, and get a feel for how much air comes out the vents (you need to do this with the car running to ensure the vent settings are selected correctly).

Then plug the car's blower fan wiring back into the fan, and run it on the highest speed.

There should be no discernable difference between straight 12V, and the highest speed. If there is a noticeable difference, then you have issues with the switch, and possibly the speed resistors (although these are taken out of the circuit on the highest speed).

Pulling apart & rebuilding A/C systems over the years, I've found a lot of them at 10+ years old have clogged up evaporator & heater cores, restricting the airflow through the HVAC system. There's not a lot you can do about this without removing the entire HVAC unit from the car, tearing it down, and blasting the cores with water in the reverse direction - similar to hosing bugs out of a radiator.

There's lots of dust & small leaf debris that works it's way in over the years (and for this reason I run the pollen filter in my FG to try to prevent as much as possible from getting in the works).
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: