Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Seek button missing on steering wheel audio controls

Hi guys, i've just purchased a AU1 xr6 vct as a daily / project & one of the niggles is the seek button cover is missing on the steering wheel audio buttons - just wondering if i can i just replace the single cover or do i have to replace the three as a unit? Anyone know? All replies much appreciated (in advance), thanks!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Dinoquad
Starter Motor

Default Re: Seek button missing on steering wheel audio controls

By memory, I had to replace the switch, which meant taking the fuse out of the air bags, using the special torx screw to undo the steering boss , to undo the airbag to get to the switch, and the wiring. Replacing the switch was easier than mcuking around because the little do-hickey pivot things were broken on the switch, not the button.
Cost about $10 from the wreckers.
But I was hungover when I did it and you'll have to wait until I get hungover again to sort of remember better.
Dinoquad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I think it depends. I'll have a look out side (if it ever stops raining) I have few broken ones.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Thank you guys for replying,

Dinoquad - don't take too long to be hung over again lol, thanks for the info!

Uncle Ken - thanks mate, i really appreciate you doing that for me - to me, that seek button cover has just popped off & i'm hoping another one can be popped back in but no biggie if cant.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 13-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

unfortunately there's no way to just "pop" another button into place. The plastic is too hard and won't flex to let you get it on without breaking the tabs off; which is why the first one came off, one of the tabs has broken off or the tab retainer has broken away. There's only 2 fixes that I've found along the way. The first is to just super glue the button cover to the actual button on the circuit board and the second is to just replace the button set. To do that properly you need to remove the wheel and then disassemble the wheel covers front and back to get the wiring out.(both sides are joined and have to be changed as one unit).
You can also do like I did the other week, and this can be done with the wheel still in place and just the airbag removed, and just cut the wires and remove the broken side and splice in the left side buttons from another broken set with damaged right side buttons. The only thing with that is you run the risk of the 2 sides being a slightly different shade of grey or black. It's like getting a panel off of another car the same colour and finding it has faded differently to yours and doesn't quite match.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Thanks for that Bushbasher, great info! No superglueing so splicing maybe the go depends on what i can get. I know where there's some wrecked au's, i'll have look & try to colour match lol! If i cant get some the right shade i may well do the full job. I just had a another look & you guys are correct, once a button is stuffed its stuffed - nothing can be popped in.

cheers, Maka

Old 13-12-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
Uncle_Ken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Cool Re: Seek button missing on steering wheel audio controls

Yeap.. I took this pic at the wreakers you can see where the plastic has been broken.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...

Last edited by Uncle_Ken; 13-12-2014 at 04:44 PM. Reason: image
Old 13-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Thanks for that Uncle Ken much appreciated! When i had another look at the switch earlier today, i could see no where for the button to seat so i'll have to decide which way to go - splice into existing loom & replace the 3 buttons or just replace both sides. Its all good!

cheers, Maka

Old 13-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
Uncle_Ken

Well done! Have yesterday off
UK