Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Home Alarm Systems

G'day all, just a quick one to ask advice on what type of alarm system would be suitable for a suburban house these days?

I have had numerous motion sensor alarm systems over the years but havent had to have one fitted, they have always been in my homes at the time of purchase. So now my new home is ready, but without a suitable alarm system.

Any advice or recent experience in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

I already have a darn good guard dog who has never let me down, but for the areas he cant be I need something else. What sort of cost would I be looking at?

calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Home Alarm Systems

I've been thinking about this as well.

Would be looking at something that can be streamed live to your phone with some sort of notification that tells you when something has been triggered or gone off - assuming you have internet at home that is left on.

Would also look at stand alone hidden cameras that watch over entrances / driveways.

Being friendly with the neighbours and having their number on hand will also help.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

we went

http://www.envioustechnology.com.au/...e-security.php

I have been very happy with it, and yes it does communicate with your mobile, and it can be controlled (turned on/off) from your phone.
served us well, for about 3 years now, I liked that it is wireless.

I have no connection with the firm, just recommending what has worked for me.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NESS have a system that has a multitude of functions interfacing with your smart phone. Sorry no link but Google them.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

This was at the Sydney home show few weeks ago. Has heaps of functionality and not much more than a standard alarm

http://honeywelltuxedo.com.au/
carwant.com.au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
BLOHSV

Can't go past a paradox operate your alarm roller doors gates etc via an app
It contacts your mobile when alarm is activated and tells you what zone has been activated it has endless options best by far http://www.paradox.com

Last edited by BLOHSV; 13-07-2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Add link
BLOHSV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
Nova 8

My personal experience with alarms is that they are pointless. Neighbor saw my old house get broke into and called the cops and my alarm went off. Was later told by said neighbor that in the time he saw the window get smashed, get his phone and return to his window the guy had already sodded off with my car.

Alarms only scare off amateurs and windows and doors only keep out the "honest" thieves.
Old 13-07-2014, 10:07 PM   #8
*rayman*
454 Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8
My personal experience with alarms is that they are pointless. Neighbor saw my old house get broke into and called the cops and my alarm went off. Was later told by said neighbor that in the time he saw the window get smashed, get his phone and return to his window the guy had already sodded off with my car.

Alarms only scare off amateurs and windows and doors only keep out the "honest" thieves.
We're putting an alarm in purely for the fact that home intrusions (to find car keys and wallets etc) are out of control in our city. We figure an alarm with reed switches on all access doors will trigger and wake us in such an event.

TOY - 68 SS 454 Camaro
*rayman* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
Nova 8

The house insurance we had required a monitored alarm, fat load of good it did...

Pitty booby traps are illegal.
Old 14-07-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My idea is, instead of an alarm, buy a massive gun safe. Can be purchased for around $3000. Most safes are fire proof and the Browning one I was looking at was around 300kg in weight.

What’s the point of an alarm when, it only takes an intruder 2 to 3 minutes to go through your home. With a safe the normal smash and grab intruder would not be able to get into the safe and even if your home is broken into your valuables are in a safe place.

Siren boxes can be smashed, GPS and mobile jammers are easily purchased, phone lines can be cut etc. with a massive 300kg safe, I would like to see one or two people try and move it or even open it unless they are a safe cracker.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #11
old_mate
Smash the Boost

I install about 50 Bosch Solution panels a year - good reliable units that aren't crazy priced. My clients have no need for the flash apps to control it so cant comment athough most vendors offer these things.

best alarm equipment I currently install - smoke cloak fog units. You can't steal what you can't see. Not the cheapest but by far the most effective product I pedal at the moment.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2014, 01:13 AM   #12
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
My idea is, instead of an alarm, buy a massive gun safe. Can be purchased for around $3000. Most safes are fire proof and the Browning one I was looking at was around 300kg in weight.

What’s the point of an alarm when, it only takes an intruder 2 to 3 minutes to go through your home. With a safe the normal smash and grab intruder would not be able to get into the safe and even if your home is broken into your valuables are in a safe place.

Siren boxes can be smashed, GPS and mobile jammers are easily purchased, phone lines can be cut etc. with a massive 300kg safe, I would like to see one or two people try and move it or even open it unless they are a safe cracker.
This can be mounted on a bedroom wall for $100

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lord-of-t...item19e701a325