Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: How did you choose your children's names?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotte View Post
Jacko calling his kid "Blanket" probably takes the ultimate cake for celeb inflicted children names.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Zappa
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #32
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our first born is named Dylan. My wife and I met working on cruise ships, and Dylan is Welsh for 'son of the sea', so quite appropriate!!

Middle names for all our 3 kids come from family names, Arthur is a middle name used throughout my fathers side, all other middle names from parents and brothers names.

Dylan was going to be Dylan Arthur Max Ferguson, but we had to change it to Dylan Max Arthur Ferguson, or otherwise he would have been DAM Ferguson!!
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 10:58 PM   #33
champ

Named our daughter after the greek ancients "Olympia".
champ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2014, 11:46 PM   #34
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

My eldest boy is Brodie Patrick.
I loved the character of Chief Brodie from the Jaws movies and Patrick is my middle name.

My eldest Daughter is Bailey Louise, After my wife.

Next is Jackson Henry, named after my father in law who's family pet name was Jack and middle name Henry.

Last but not least is Maggie Lyn. We chose Maggie, as we wanted an older name and we both love the Foster and Allen song 'Maggie'.
Lyn is in memory of my youngest sister, Linda, who lost her life in a car accident when only 15.
Its spooky because when Maggie was born I instantly felt a sense that I had looked at her face before, like dejavu, and a family friend, who is into spirituality, claimed that she was an old soul upon seeing her for the first time.
When I took her the first time to the cemetery it was a surreal moment, almost like a reunion.
I had always had a sensation that my sister was my 'guardian angel' and over the years I had found myself avoiding some serious stuff with no explanation.
Since that moment in the cemetery I have never experienced that sensation again.
I've always been a sceptic, but some things you experience are better left unexplained
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #35
superyob
Banned

My dad wanted to name me Hermann or Heinrich or some other Germanic name. Luckily my mum won that battle and I got Steven...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #36
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had I been born a girl I was to be called Virginia.

Virgin for short but not for long - Thank goodness for external plumbing.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #37
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

My son was named from reading out a list of names on a website one day and he had given my wife a good kick so we went with that. His second name was due to me being a huge fan of a pro wrestler back in my teenage days.

Kai Austin.
Old 31-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #38
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My son was named after my wife's grandfather, Thomas, but it is also my middle name.
His second name, Willem, is Dutch for William. There is quite a lot of that name throughout my family. Dad's middle name, my grandfathers middle name, my mum is called Wilhelmina, the female Dutch version of Wilhelm - also William.

We never actually chose that name until after he had popped out. Had a couple of others on the list, but we were favouring Thomas anyway.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:44 AM   #39
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My missus is a school teacher and says brands are becoming more common for names. She said she has 2 or 3 brands in her current class. Usually named after a clothing brand.

I will be calling my kids traditional names. Nothing like La-a (ladasha) or Abcde (absedie)
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #40
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work in IT at a school, and couldn't believe a students name was actually "Souljah" .... seen another one "Huntyr"
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Could be worse, could be "Roger Rogerson"

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/roger-roge...531-39atz.html
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2014, 06:48 PM   #42
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did go to school many moons ago with a Jacob Jacobs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
This user likes this post:
Old 01-06-2014, 09:59 PM   #43
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I remember reading somewhere that when the coat hanger was being built the most popular names were Archie and Bridgette...

Don't do middle names, wife doesn't have one and I'm not traditional.

We won't be calling any of our kids after old family members either.

We agreed on Massimo because it means the biggest / greatest / maximum in Italian and Mirabelle because we both like the sound of Music and talked about kids in the Mirabell gardens in Salzburg.

After further discussions over the past week we have now agreed on Leo and Matilda. Why?? Caus we just like em, and they roll of the tongue nicely with our last name ;)

M&M will be backups ;)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #44
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
My dad wanted to name me Hermann or Heinrich or some other Germanic name. Luckily my mum won that battle and I got Steven...
My great great great grandfather emigrated from Mariboe, Denmark in the 1800's. I had trouble tracing the family tree when I hit Denmark. Individual churches kept the birth, death, and marriage records way back then. I don't speak a word of Danish.

His name was Henry Heinrich Heinrichsen - poor bugger. Glad you scored Steven mate!

What didn't help is that my surname is spelled differently, apparently that happened to a lot of migrants. Great gramps with a heavy Danish accent trying to explain it to a semi literate English clerk. Yep, that'll do it.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 PM   #45
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Shifty, you've got it easy. at least you have an idea how to pronounce it. I just found out about one week ago, my surname has been Anglicised from the Gaelic O'Cruadhlaoich. I wouldn't know where to start with this one.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #46
homegrown
hotshot

Me and my wife disagreed on all the names we had thought of. The reason being both of us were working at Holdens at the time with 4 thousand blokes each name that got mentioned reminded you of someone that ticked you off and if anyone has ever worked there they would know what I mean, it s like going back to high school but everyones 30 something. Got to the point where I wrote 10 names that I liked on piece of paper and she wrote 10 of hers and the only one that we both picked and hadnt crossed off each others list was Leonardo. Ive always loved this name. My side is all Italian so its meant to be plus he loves all the Leonardo Ninja Turtles gear you can get.
Old 27-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #47
homegrown
hotshot

My step dad had gave Holley to my step Sister.
Everyone thinks Oh thats nice, its very Christmassy.
He's quick to correct No its Holley carburetors.
Old 29-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #48
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I was named Gerardine, after my father's, best friend's, high school girlfriend. Dad always liked the name, so there was never any other option for me.

I get Geraldine all the damn time. Even when I know it's spelt correctly, people don't actually read, and mispronounce it anyway. In primary school I refused to answer when it was said wrong. Hours of fun with substitute teachers! I had the same problem with work name tags never being spelled correctly.
When I had to apply for host system access, the person at head office processing my application actually emailled back telling me I'd misspelled my own name, and she'd helpfully corrected it for me! No. I'm pretty sure I can spell my own name! She never apologised.

My Dad had the same kind of common family name thing going on as a lot of you guys. His father's first two names were Thomas Kennedy, and Dad is Thomas Richard, but has always gone by Richard, so as not to be confused with his father (though his father died when he was 16).

My mum is named Sharyn, but her father misspelled it on her birth certificate, so legally she's Sharan. My Grandmother never let him live it down.

I've seen a lot of awful names at schools I work for. There are (I assume) siblings at one school called Pretti and Hansom. I thought I wasn't hearing correctly, but then I saw the roll...
I heard a teacher last week talking about students she taught a few years back called Fanta and Pepsi. Then a friend of a friend said she'd actually gone to school with them!

I don't intend to have children, so it's not an issue for me, but if I did, I would make sure it was something classic and not with ridiculous spelling, as seems to be the trend these days. I know how annoying it is.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2014, 05:26 PM   #49
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I had a colleague I worked with some years ago, he and his bride were bike mad.

We had an open day at work where the employee could bring their partner and children to see what Dad did at work. (male only workforce at the time)

I was introduced to Don's lads: Harley and Norton. Not really out there as far as name choices go, but it did totally catch me off guard at the time.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #50
Stranger Ranger
"ADVENTURE BOUND"

You blokes think that you've got problems with names! Mine is Ingo. Yep WTF. I always tell people to put whatever letter they like in front of the letter "I" to help them to remember my name. Apparently it is a Swedish name meaning "KING OF THE ALPS". I don't care where the name comes from but i wish i could give my parents a kick in the backside for it. I suppose i just have to put up with my ancestry. Thank god i gave my children normal names, but then again.....How do you define what is normal.
Old 29-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #51
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We choose traditional 1960’s Anglo/Aussie type first names (David, Steven, Michael, Peter, Susan, Ann, Helen, Katherine that kind of thing) and made sure no one in the family already had them. That way no one would feel left out if we didn’t use their name.
Second names had references to Grandparents.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #52
zilo
BANNED

This thread should be closed...it's blatant child abuse by some with the names the poor kids will be tormented with...
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2014, 10:39 PM   #53
homegrown
hotshot

Kids are resilient, they'll be alright
I was named after 2 guys my Aunty was dating. I guess when you have so many kids you just run out of ideas