Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 08-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
fordfarm
Starter Motor

Default Educate me on Mondeo's please

I have been lurking around for a while, impressed by this forum. I finally joined to ask about Mondeo's, mainly the 6spd auto in the MA versus the MB or MC Powershift 6speed. I am looking for a commuter driving 100km/day half hills driving, half city. We have tried 9 cars already and narrowed it down to TDCi, either focus or Mondeo maybe powershift.

We test drove a 2010 MC LX TDCi Powershift today. It didn't go well.
We pulled out of the dealership onto a busy road, with the wipers on, accelerated and then it wouldn't change up and sputtered to a complete stop. Fortunately it was in roadworks and I put the hazards on and tried to start and it would just sputter and die. The roadworkers pushed me to a side street laughing as they told everyone we were on a test drive!

I got the sales guy down and then it started and we drove it into the servo and put $10 diesel in and then it went fine. The caryards driveway was steepish down hill and the fuel gauge was reading low, maybe it is incorrect? The thought is still there that it may not be low fuel but another more serious issue? Is that why it was priced so well? We drove it for over half an hour and it was floorless. Still unsure about that car, although it drove really well and I like the powershift. It reminds me of the powershift on our New Holland tractors and honda Quad, both awesome to use.

What type of 6 speed auto trans is in an MA? Is it like a traditional torque converter auto or something else? Should we stretch the budget and aim for a MB or MC? Looking at the kW and economy and todays drive it looks like the way to go.

Any other tips or things we should consider?

Thanks in advance.

fordfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2014, 11:55 PM   #2
b2428

Default Re: Educate me on Mondeo's please

Can't comment on the me and mcs but I love the way my mind work tdci drives. It's a conventional auto with sports mode. I avg 7.3 week in week out never driving for economy. The one thing that puts me of the powershift models are the gearbox service costs which are easily close to double the normal auto. Plus need to be done more often. Well that's according to Ford when I asked about getting mine done.

2010 Triton GLX-R Dual Cab. So good to be back in a manual.

2008 MA TDCI MONDEO, recently became somebody elses problem haha.

1988 EA Fairmont Monza Red 3.9L CFI - the project beast. On hold for now.

2013 Nissan Pulsar ST-L - The better halfs car
b2428 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2014, 03:12 AM   #3
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfarm View Post
We drove it for over half an hour and it was floorless.
I hope you meant "flawless" or were you were driving like Fred Flintstone lol?

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
brismike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
fordfarm
Starter Motor

. We did get pushed down the road, almost Flintstone style!!
fordfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
steve289

Overall they are a very solid, comfortable & reliable car.
Try to pick up a pre update MB Zetec, has quite a few extra goodies over the MA (incl USB input for the stereo - essential!), but does not have the more expensive powershift transmission service costs.

There should be quite a few available on the arket, so take your pick. If that demo left a bad feeling, go with the gut and avoid it. May have just been low on petrol, but better to be safe than sorry!

Wife & I have just completed Melb>Syd>Melb trip over the new year period, car was fine, and the seats very comfortable for a 10 hr drive, incl restbreaks.
Fuel economy around 6.3 for the entire trip.

Bonus was driving from SE Melb to North Sydney using only 3/4 of the tank, and no refilling along the way.
steve289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
nevetsg

I have not driven a Powershift but did test drive a few VW DSGs before I decided on the Deo. I didn't see the fascination. Around town they are jerky and reversing up hill is impossible. Foot to the floor didn't noticeably change any faster than traditional auto.

I love the gearbox on my MA. It changes fast and locks the gears for fuel savings. The only thing I do is force it to 5th when I know I will be cruising at 60kmh. Apparently it is "sealed for life" meaning no services but I am thinking about getting one now that I have passed the 120K mark.

It makes me smile when it down changes for engine breaking. eg. coasting down to red traffic lights, at 1200 revs it will drop down a gear to keep the engine breaking as you would in a manual. Also if rolling down hill and the car starts to accelerate it will drop back to hold speed.

Oh, and like Steve^ I have just made a fully laden trip Syd>Bris>Syd which averaged 5.7L/100. Over 2000Km on 2 tanks with some Diesel to spare.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post